Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

Heating after rebuilt:

After they went for rebuilt, did they change the area where the heat comes from?

I've noticed the 91 Vs originally came from the vents right under the window but now I notice it comes from the top where the A/C comes from. Same goes to the 96 Vs; they used to come from beneath the seats but now they seem to come from the A/C area.

Last window for the sliding type:

How come all the buses with sliding windows have an unopenable window at the door side of the bus in the rear? Does it have something to do with the vents that are usually behind or above that window? This only occurs in the sliding window models and not the flip windows.

for the climate control question:

the buses have not been modified. both series have a heater core in the rear blowing air down from overhead behind the celing advertisements . this is also where the a/c comes from. incedentally, all a/c equipped transit buses at least use this setup for a portion of the heat.

the older V's have a heater core under the floor halfway down the body that blows heated air through ducts along the floor-kinda like the gm's.

the 7000s have a radiant heater that forces hot water through an elongated radiator along the preimeter of the floor and this works solely by convection. they are also equipped with a wabasto auxillary water heater (the 2nd tailpibe halfway down the roadside of the bus) which the 1991 V's do not have.

anything there has been there since new.

if there was no heat coming from beneath the seats, this is either because the driver did'nt turn the blowers on high, or there is a malfunction with the hvac system.

also Does anybody know why TTC constantly replacing doors on the Orion v? I don't see fishbowls, classic, orion 7, et cetera getting their doors replaced.

the constant yanking on the linear bearings (the thingies that fit around the chrome pipe track) as the doors open and close eventually fatigues the door at the mounting

bracket and the door fractures. if left to continue, the whole bracket will pull out from the door leaf, bolts and all.

a stopgap measure we have tried is riveting an aluminum plate over the fractured area, reinforcing it. unfortunately this is only a temporary fix and the door will have to be replaced eventually.

this problem is accelerated if the door speeds are set too fast, magnifying the forces at work.

revving the engine in neutral higher than that can blow it up.

I'm referring more to flooring it and holding it there- the sticker just words it conservatively.

I've seen it happen. it just ain't good practice.

also, most air compressors don't actually fill the system all that much faster above that threshold. they're engineered to work most efficiently at about

1000-1300rpm(+-)

• Like 1

Here's a question for you:

Why can't you use more than 1/3 throttle when pumping up air to get past the 80 psi (552 kPa) threshold?

Your question is very vague, but I'm going to assume (and if I'm wrong you might have learned something completely different, LOL) that you are refering to the Air Brake check?

Part of the static check for the air brakes is to test how long it take for the enggine to build up air pressure. You fan the air pressure down to a certain point, then watch the pressure gauge and time it, if the engine at low idle doesn't build up pressure from 85-100psi (varies by vehicle make) within 2 minutes or less then the system is in need of repair and the vehicle is out of service. The air pressure in the brake system is used every time you use the brakes, if the pressure does not build quickly enough and you are using the brakes a lot in a short period of time, then the pressure could drop dangerously low, and the parking brakes will engage and stop the vehicle (not necessarily a good thing in heavy traffic :( ).

Anyways, hope that helps, if not, I tried.

revving the engine in neutral higher than that can blow it up.

I've seen it happen. it just ain't good practice.

:D

• Like 1

Your question is very vague, but I'm going to assume (and if I'm wrong you might have learned something completely different, LOL) that you are refering to the Air Brake check?

Part of the static check for the air brakes is to test how long it take for the enggine to build up air pressure. You fan the air pressure down to a certain point, then watch the pressure gauge and time it, if the engine at low idle doesn't build up pressure from 85-100psi (varies by vehicle make) within 2 minutes or less then the system is in need of repair and the vehicle is out of service. The air pressure in the brake system is used every time you use the brakes, if the pressure does not build quickly enough and you are using the brakes a lot in a short period of time, then the pressure could drop dangerously low, and the parking brakes will engage and stop the vehicle (not necessarily a good thing in heavy traffic :D ).

Anyways, hope that helps, if not, I tried.

It's basically several transit telling operators not to pump more than 1/3 and they put the sticker on the dashboard. GO Transit for example.

Another random question:

Does anyone know why D901 #6080 was withdrawn several years before the D901's recieved rebuild? Was it involved in an accident and was prematurely retired?

(#6080 was retired sometime in 1998, #6045 was retired in October 2003 - source: Toronto Buses Editorial Page)

From what i remember i heard it wasn't suited to be rebuilt or something like that.

This is not a TTC question its a Burlington Transit question, I thought I would put the question here instead of starting a whole new topic fpr one question

Are the Burlington Transit transfers valid on Oakville Transit ?

Yes. You can, in fact, pay a fare on Hamilton street railway, and exchange your transfers all the way to Markham, via Brampton, of course.

This is not a TTC question its a Burlington Transit question, I thought I would put the question here instead of starting a whole new topic fpr one question

Are the Burlington Transit transfers valid on Oakville Transit ?

Yes, and vice versa.

the constant yanking on the linear bearings (the thingies that fit around the chrome pipe track) as the doors open and close eventually fatigues the door at the mounting

bracket and the door fractures. if left to continue, the whole bracket will pull out from the door leaf, bolts and all.

a stopgap measure we have tried is riveting an aluminum plate over the fractured area, reinforcing it. unfortunately this is only a temporary fix and the door will have to be replaced eventually.

this problem is accelerated if the door speeds are set too fast, magnifying the forces at work.

Is that a defect in the design?

Why did the TTC stop using treadles on the newer HFs?

Salt and water get in there and erode things, causing them to commonly malfunction. The push bar doesn't really suffer the issue as much, as it isn't on the floor where all that stuff pools around. I kind of miss the step down, to be honest. The push bar can be incredibly confusing and doesn't seem to work often (at least that I notice).

14 and 125 are also designated as high-floor accessible routes.

I see; thanks.

But seeing as how they normally non rush uses 1 bus and I always see a VII on 125 kind of eliminates the chance of a V on those routes. In fact, I see Vs on 6 more than those routes.

Any ideas besides 29, where a V usually show up or totally random as shambala said?

EDIT: Also, on Saturdays (Not Sundays or weekdays), will Classics and D40s be used at all?

Edited by Orion V

EDIT: Also, on Saturdays (Not Sundays or weekdays), will Classics and D40s be used at all?

For Classics I'm wondering too, because I would like one last ride on one. D40/88-89's are still being used seven days a week on Queensway's non-accessible routes. The best place to look for them is Royal York Stn., where with the exception of V's is all D40-88/89's.

For Classics I'm wondering too, because I would like one last ride on one.

Go to Donlands Station and ride the 83 Jones, the odds on finding a Classic immediately are better there.

Any ideas besides 29, where a V usually show up or totally random as shambala said?

Wait up to 15 minutes at Wilson Station and you will find a 1996 Orion V.