Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

I know a lot of route’s schedule has been recovered close to pre-pandemic. 

I use either 49 Bloor West or 50 Burnhamthorpe often.. and 49 had better headway than 50 most of the time during the weekdays pre-pandemic. 

Morning Rush

49 Bloor West: Every 10 min

50 Burnhamthorpe: Every 11-12 min

Day-time

49 Bloor West: Every 15 min

50 Burnhamthorpe: Every 20 min

Afternoon-Rush

49 Bloor West: Every 12 min

50 Burnhamthorpe: Every 15 min (It was 13 min before but was increased due to something called “reliability improvement” by the TTC)

While 50 is now back to pre-pandemic. 
49 is still well below the pre-pandemic level.. 

As it is every 30 min outside of rush hours (including day-time)

Rush hour is now worse than Burnhamthorpe as it is running every 16-17 min

Are there any routes which has still well below service level compared to pre-pandemic?

6 hours ago, raptorjays said:

I use either 49 Bloor West or 50 Burnhamthorpe often.. and 49 had better headway than 50 most of the time during the weekdays pre-pandemic. 

Morning Rush

Day-time

Afternoon-Rush

50 Burnhamthorpe: Every 15 min (It was 13 min before but was increased due to something called “reliability improvement” by the TTC)

Are there any routes which has still well below service level compared to pre-pandemic?

The cynic in me has me thinking the TTC is slowly weaning service on the 49 and 50 for when it gets handed over to MiWay.  Any word on when that pilot project is moving forward?  Unless the TTC is going to be paying for some of the costs involved, MiWay isn't getting any net new service this year.  Any new service would come at the expense of service cuts elsewhere in the system.  None of the MiWay routes on either corridor are in line for additional service in the upcoming service change, which is generally how I'll gauge when the pilot project will be starting in lieu of an official announcement.  There are a few routing changes MiWay will need to do to get sufficient coverage on both Bloor and Burnhamthorpe.  There's also still the matter of amending the legislation at Queen's Park to allow the pilot projects with MiWay and YRT.  So unless it gets buried with another bill (omnibus or otherwise), there's another indicator of when it will start.

If they're going to be dragging their feet about it, then it would seem that they're waiting until September to restore the 49 and 50 to pre-pandemic service levels.

Quick question about that miway takeover plan. What would happen to 49 bloor riders, would they be subject to walking to and from the kipling miway terminal or Auckland and dundas? Or would they reroute the 20 and 3 to islington like before and drop off people like how the ttc does it now.

48 minutes ago, Gil said:

The cynic in me has me thinking the TTC is slowly weaning service on the 49 and 50 for when it gets handed over to MiWay.  Any word on when that pilot project is moving forward?  Unless the TTC is going to be paying for some of the costs involved, MiWay isn't getting any net new service this year.  Any new service would come at the expense of service cuts elsewhere in the system.  None of the MiWay routes on either corridor are in line for additional service in the upcoming service change, which is generally how I'll gauge when the pilot project will be starting in lieu of an official announcement.  There are a few routing changes MiWay will need to do to get sufficient coverage on both Bloor and Burnhamthorpe.  There's also still the matter of amending the legislation at Queen's Park to allow the pilot projects with MiWay and YRT.  So unless it gets buried with another bill (omnibus or otherwise), there's another indicator of when it will start.

If they're going to be dragging their feet about it, then it would seem that they're waiting until September to restore the 49 and 50 to pre-pandemic service levels.

50 is already at pre-pandemic. The headway for pm rush got a bit wider just before the pandemic so it is close to normal.

49 is the one which is way off the pre pandemic

8606 had a strange issue, it has electric doors and both of the doors weren't functioning on Friday. Driver was unable to leave at first. Apparently its happened to the bus at least 3 times now. I heard it was probably due to a fault in the electrics but im wondering if anyone else noticed something similar on the newer buses that have these types of doors? I never seen anything like it for the air powered doors on the 8400s and 8500s buses

Does anyone know what the radio callsigns 155 and 156 are? I've been hearing activity on Events Ch 7 today and they appear to be some kind of patrol unit, but they seem to be observing and tracking suspicious people rather to just responding to incidents like the regular Transit Enforcement 158 units on Transit Enforcement Ch1.

Maybe they are plain clothes?

1 hour ago, MK78 said:

Does anyone know what the radio callsigns 155 and 156 are? I've been hearing activity on Events Ch 7 today and they appear to be some kind of patrol unit, but they seem to be observing and tracking suspicious people rather to just responding to incidents like the regular Transit Enforcement 158 units on Transit Enforcement Ch1.

Maybe they are plain clothes?

Maybe something to do with the TPS Officers on the TTC now?

1 hour ago, John Oke said:

Maybe something to do with the TPS Officers on the TTC now?

I don't think so, they speak the TTC lingo.

Its definitely some kind of patrol unit. Maybe what was added in the last budget. There seems to be several teams thruout the subway system.

Oh I just heard it, they called it 156 Security Guards.  So its not the same as Transit Enforcement.

Revenue security now have 2020 FPIU as well. Same as transit supervisor and special constables, except they don't have a lightbar. Cars are labelled as "Revenue Security" and have the red transit supervisor paint-job. Many are at Birchmount divison right now if anyone wants to have a look. 

Back in the day why did buses go to other divisions after retirement when that garage never operated buses of that kind? ie some 72xx rts at birchmount way after they all retired, some 92xx VIs at new eglinton way after they all retired, some 94xx Vs at birchmount way after they retired, a 15xx ng hybrid at new eglinton, etc. 

Also why didnt arrow and queensway decommision their own rts and d40lfs? 

It comes down to who had space and personnel for storage and decommissioning, and who didn't. It's the same idea behind Arrow doing the PDI for the 3400s, or Eglinton doing same for the 9200s. Birchmount had surplus space so they were able to decommission the Vs for Malvern and Wilson.

23160716556_6ec3d35f39_b.jpg

I have no recollection of any scrap RTSes being sent to Birchmount. However, a substantial amount were to be seen at Mount Dennis throughout 2015.

16387543056_58651853dc_b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, T3G said:

23160716556_6ec3d35f39_b.jpg

Speaking of which, why were there og hybrids at birchmount in that photo? I heard that there was a rumour at the moment that they were retired (which obviously was not true) so what was the real reason?

6 hours ago, T3G said:

For the same reason, overflow storage. 

A bunch were out for a while for various defects and until they could be attended to, they were stored at Birchmount. 

Also novabus hybrids were there at one point when they were new after they were all taken off service. Decommissioned Wheel-Trans buses were also there from time to time.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, blue.bird.fan said:

I have seen photos on Facebook that 9401 is either on property or has been manufactured. When can we begin expecting the mass retirement of the remaining Orion VII OGs in earnest?

I think the picture you saw was the built bus at New Flyer factory but it is not on TTC property yet maybe not for 3-5 months is what I heard

https://stevemunro.ca/2023/02/15/comparing-ttc-service-levels-2020-vs-2023/?fbclid=IwAR3Rrjy5-TfEqoGFaoBf9JuzE5x9OYqxLxS0WiVEacD8XQJf5vDiFPkOoMU

Interesting blog post by Steve Munro comparing the service level of each routes between pre-pandemic era and now.

This is showing how Line 2 is getting shittier service compared to pre-pandemic. 

Only 78% of service level (compared to the pre-pandemic) in the am rush.. 

84% for pm rush and 76% in the early evening.. 

Line 1 is at least better than Line 2 with 104% during the mid-day (although the wait time seemed to get a bit longer for line 1 as well)

On 2/8/2023 at 12:57 PM, raptorjays said:

Morning Rush

Day-time

Afternoon-Rush

And on Munro's blog post..

50 Burnhamthorpe is running very close to 100% of the pre-pandemic.. 

while 49 Bloor west is actually running 45% in the am rush compared to pre-pandemic and 63% during the pm rush.. 

A lot of routes are showing absurd level of service compared to pre-pandemic (Example: 26 Dupont, 19 Bay, 77 Swansea, etc.)

1 hour ago, raptorjays said:

https://stevemunro.ca/2023/02/15/comparing-ttc-service-levels-2020-vs-2023/?fbclid=IwAR3Rrjy5-TfEqoGFaoBf9JuzE5x9OYqxLxS0WiVEacD8XQJf5vDiFPkOoMU

Interesting blog post by Steve Munro comparing the service level of each routes between pre-pandemic era and now.

This is showing how Line 2 is getting shittier service compared to pre-pandemic. 

Only 78% of service level (compared to the pre-pandemic) in the am rush.. 

84% for pm rush and 76% in the early evening.. 

Line 1 is at least better than Line 2 with 104% during the mid-day (although the wait time seemed to get a bit longer for line 1 as well)

And on Munro's blog post..

50 Burnhamthorpe is running very close to 100% of the pre-pandemic.. 

while 49 Bloor west is actually running 45% in the am rush compared to pre-pandemic and 63% during the pm rush.. 

A lot of routes are showing absurd level of service compared to pre-pandemic (Example: 26 Dupont, 19 Bay, 77 Swansea, etc.)

It’s gonna get worse not better. That’s the sad part