Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

3 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

They left a bad taste in the shop too. The only thing going for them was the 50 series engine. To this day Novabus can’t build a durable wiring harness to save their lives.

So what's the difference between the S50 on the late 90s and the 7400, i guess the EGR? I've heard good things about the 7300 multiplex system too. 

Too bad Cummins is the only transit application option. With the big move to all electric buses there no point in investing to compete with Cummins. 

I do miss the Detroits. I'm not familiar with the engine market, but didn't Detroit have the DD11 engine to compete with with the transit market? 

15 minutes ago, Shaun said:

How was the RTS' rear steps even considered to be a good idea? And they built thousands of them for New York. Why would anyone build an wheel chair lift that's not safe to stand on? 

The interior was also awkward and for a high floor bus, it probably carried 5-7 less people than other high floors due to its rear layout and the steps. 

The rear wheel chair lift was used all all RTS model right up until they came up with the RTS 6 that Chicago got in 1991 and the RTS that we got. As for not safe to stand on, that's a first I'm hearing of that. I know there was a 7000 where the front door lift broke on a user.  

42 minutes ago, Shaun said:

How was the RTS' rear steps even considered to be a good idea? And they built thousands of them for New York. Why would anyone build an wheel chair lift that's not safe to stand on? 

The interior was also awkward and for a high floor bus, it probably carried 5-7 less people than other high floors due to its rear layout and the steps. 

You’re asking a question only Gunn himself can answer, so I don’t know why you’re tagging me.

I don’t spec’ them.

12 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Only one was ever made.

Nitpick: They seem to have built 3 different articulated prototypes, although when and how long they lasted is a bit more speculative.

1x 55 footer (30 foot front section with 20 foot rear section)

2x 60 footers (35 foot front section with 20 foot rear section)

1 of the 60 footers was shown to the public at an early 1980s APTA convention, but other than that they very, very seldom made it into the public eye.

Dan

29 minutes ago, smallspy said:

Nitpick: They seem to have built 3 different articulated prototypes, although when and how long they lasted is a bit more speculative.

1x 55 footer (30 foot front section with 20 foot rear section)

2x 60 footers (35 foot front section with 20 foot rear section)

1 of the 60 footers was shown to the public at an early 1980s APTA convention, but other than that they very, very seldom made it into the public eye.

Dan

What were they powered with?

I actually enjoy riding the RTS buses. The first front facing 2 seats on the right are the best fanning seats. It's not like all the low floor buses today where you either have to stand or sit behind the rear door to get a good sight of the road ahead. By standing at the front, you block everyone's way, especially when it's crowded. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

I actually enjoy riding the RTS buses. The first front facing 2 seats on the right are the best fanning seats. It's not like all the low floor buses today where you either have to stand or sit behind the rear door to get a good sight of the road ahead. By standing at the front, you block everyone's way, especially when it's crowded. 

On 1/8/2023 at 8:00 PM, FlyerD901 said:

So what's the difference between the S50 on the late 90s and the 7400, i guess the EGR? I've heard good things about the 7300 multiplex system too. 

Too bad Cummins is the only transit application option. With the big move to all electric buses there no point in investing to compete with Cummins. 

I do miss the Detroits. I'm not familiar with the engine market, but didn't Detroit have the DD11 engine to compete with with the transit market? 

The rear wheel chair lift was used all all RTS model right up until they came up with the RTS 6 that Chicago got in 1991 and the RTS that we got. As for not safe to stand on, that's a first I'm hearing of that. I know there was a 7000 where the front door lift broke on a user.  

Besides Danforth and Eglinton, did #1000 ever made it to Queensway? I’ve seen photos of it on 37 and 71.

@FlyerD901 you remember Danforth became an all-Flyer and Nova division before the Fishbowls came back that fall in 2000?

On 1/6/2023 at 8:53 AM, smallspy said:

It had nothing to do with policy changes, and everything to do with David Gunn.

As I understand it, the RTS order wasn't tendered and was to be for 100 buses. There were also questions raised as to how it was to be funded, as they weren't going to be built in Canada. Certain elements of the Board of Commissioners balked at this - they wanted the TTC to order low-floor buses, as it was already known at that point that lift-equipped high-floor buses were not well suited to accessible service - and they negotiated an agreement whereby the RTS order was halved (2 additional buses were ordered to cover early retirements elsewhere in the fleet) and the other half was put out to public tender, which New Flyer won.

Dan

And to also forget @smallspy, they also included #1001, the first Gen LFS that the TTC was suppose to lease but they decided to purchase the demonstrator instead. But it would’ve been nice if the 3rd and 4th Gen LFS buses came with the paint #1001 bore. Why did they buy the demonstrator instead of leasing it?

4 hours ago, Kumiko Oumae said:

Besides Danforth and Eglinton, did #1000 ever made it to Queensway? I’ve seen photos of it on 37 and 71.

@FlyerD901 you remember Danforth became an all-Flyer and Nova division before the Fishbowls came back that fall in 2000?

And to also forget @smallspy, they also included #1001, the first Gen LFS that the TTC was suppose to lease but they decided to purchase the demonstrator instead. But it would’ve been nice if the 3rd and 4th Gen LFS buses came with the paint #1001 bore. Why did they buy the demonstrator instead of leasing it?

IIRC, the original order for the RTS was for 100 buses and they got out of it by getting 52 RTS plus 1 LFS 1G as the deal.

15 hours ago, Kumiko Oumae said:

I don't know why they ended up buying 1001, but I suspect that much of the same reasoning behind the purchase of the D40LFs was behind its purchase.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2023 at 8:58 AM, smallspy said:

I don't know why they ended up buying 1001, but I suspect that much of the same reasoning behind the purchase of the D40LFs was behind its purchase.

Dan

Didn't Barrie transit buy it and it was in service for ten years? I think that is pretty good for a first gen product.  I rode on HSR's gen I LFS and they got a bit rattly towards the end, but so do D40LF.  

One of the things that the TTC does, which makes no sense at all, and goes against the safety values that it preaches, is only requiring 8 hours of rest time for operators, from the end time of one shift to the start time of the next day's shift. It does not matter the kind of shifts the operator works either. One day, an operator on the spareboard could be working a straight late relief shift from lets say 4 pm to 1 35 am, and for the following day, that operator would be assigned a split shift that starts at 9 35 am, with a very likely 12 hour spread.

Not only is this extremely exhausting, but downright dangerous, and a catastrophic accident that is waiting to happen. Operators need to be given at least 10 hours of rest time MINIMUM.  Otherwise the safety of the  passengers, pedestrians, and other road users is compromised if the operator is on duty in a sleep-deprived state. 

Those operators who hold regular crews, this does not affect them as much, but those that are on the spareboard, they experience this a lot more often.

I've been seeing a Nova LFS training bus running around the Jane/Weston/Trethewey/Black Creek/Eglinton area (Mount Dennis Division) the past hour. Is this just a coincidence or are they gonna move some LFS's to MTD?

Side note: Holy hell there's a ton of people waiting for the northbound 35/935 at Trethewey! Jane is gonna need its artics sooner rather than later because it looks like this is getting worse, this overcrowding on the Jane bus route. 

9 minutes ago, lifty4ever said:

I've been seeing a Nova LFS training bus running around the Jane/Weston/Trethewey/Black Creek/Eglinton area (Mount Dennis Division) the past hour. Is this just a coincidence or are they gonna move some LFS's to MTD?

Thats 8963, its been doing training for MTD operators today, as 8956-8964 have recently been moved to MTD.