Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

Just now, bus_7246 said:

Which direction were the cars headed?  Queen St is slowly being converted to fully pantograph operation as well

The one with the pantograph was heading west to Charlotte Loop, while the one with the poll was heading towards Kingston Road and Queen 

https://toronto.citynews.ca/video/2020/10/10/leslieville-community-pushes-back-against-new-subway-line-plans/

Well… I don’t know if their voice will be heard since Metrolinx seems to be going full steam ahead with overground with Leslieville area.

The only hope for them is Doug Ford’s party being defeated in the next election.. since the construction isn’t starting until 2023

I don’t know why the Metrolinx is pushing for overground here while they allowed underground for western extension of Eglinton LRT. If one can go underground, then why this cannot?? This double standard makes no sense. 

10 hours ago, raptorjays said:

https://toronto.citynews.ca/video/2020/10/10/leslieville-community-pushes-back-against-new-subway-line-plans/

Well… I don’t know if their voice will be heard since Metrolinx seems to be going full steam ahead with overground with Leslieville area.

The only hope for them is Doug Ford’s party being defeated in the next election.. since the construction isn’t starting until 2023

I don’t know why the Metrolinx is pushing for overground here while they allowed underground for western extension of Eglinton LRT. If one can go underground, then why this cannot?? This double standard makes no sense. 

Metrolinx’s talking point was engineering complexities with tunneling in that spot. I’ll defer to someone else to dig up the proof.

To me, the whole protest smacks of the hypocrisy of the wealthy urban left populating that neighborhood. They’re all for improved transit and infrastructure on paper…….until the chips are down and it’s time to turn their benevolent intentions to action.

Change the San Francisco Bay Area to Riverdale, Baby Point or Lesliville, and the shoe still fits.

skip ahead to 2:30 to see my point.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Metrolinx’s talking point was engineering complexities with tunneling in that spot. I’ll defer to someone else to dig up the proof.

To me, the whole protest smacks of the hypocrisy of the wealthy urban left populating that neighborhood. They’re all for improved transit and infrastructure on paper…….until the chips are down and it’s time to turn their benevolent intentions to action.

The community was onboard with the Downtown Relief Line alignment and stations, after the consultation.

Part of the problem is Metrolinx pretty much skipped the consultation process. Ignored all input. Lied through their teeth. And dodged any serious question, instead choosing to answer similar questions, that were always contrived to make the current alignment and station location look better. Until they changed something, and had to contrive new answers. And yet pretending that underground was the only choice for Eglinton West and the Line 2 Scarborough extension.

We are seeing similar in Thorncliffe. Is that the wealth urban left as well?

Perhaps the issue isn't the neighbours, but Metrolinx's incompetent and unethical public relations.

^Both sides are at fault: Metrolinx isnt forthcoming with information, and hides the most critical parts of how various infrastructure projects would affect communities. There are certainly times they are forthcoming, but there are other times where they choose to be inept and outright do complete 180s on what they initially promise until they are pressed by the community at large.

With the particular case of Leslieville, they are just whining over the loss of literally a fraction of their precious park space and increased noise over a corridor which is already set to see massive train traffic increase due to GO RER. I dont have an ounce of sympathy for them whatsoever, and if half those people were as passionate about other critical city projects/politics we wouldnt be consistently electing dopes into office who completely screw up the city with their various antics.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, raptorjays said:

If Eglinton stayed on the surface, it would be slower and impede with heavy traffic. However the OL doesn't impede with traffic with this change so it's not completely unacceptable.

Well there we go, I called it out years ago that the perimeter fencing was inadequate and I was criticized back then with people saying "well what else is the TTC supposed to install, the fences are high enough, it can be cut through if someone really wanted to, etc. insert other excuses".

Let this be an early warning for them, unless they want people to start screwing around with subway equipment further then this. The last thing we need is an incident like we experience a few months ago with the guy who went to the Islington portal so sabotage and screw around with critical infrastructure.

We live in a day and age where people are getting a thrill out of causing severe damage to equipment just to get likes on social media. This isnt the cute old 1990s.

28 minutes ago, lip said:

Well there we go, I called it out years ago that the perimeter fencing was inadequate and I was criticized back then with people saying "well what else is the TTC supposed to install, the fences are high enough, it can be cut through if someone really wanted to, etc. insert other excuses".

Let this be an early warning for them, unless they want people to start screwing around with subway equipment further then this. The last thing we need is an incident like we experience a few months ago with the guy who went to the Islington portal so sabotage and screw around with critical infrastructure.

We live in a day and age where people are getting a thrill out of causing severe damage to equipment just to get likes on social media. This isnt the cute old 1990s.

There’s an Instagram page the account is @lance416 he posts pictures of himself and friends trespassing to the top of buildings and into Crosstown tunnels and other subway tunnels(ie: Bay Lower connection tunnel) on a regular basis, with all the times he’s gone into the Crosstown Tunnels, I’m surprised he hasn’t been caught 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ9XXYZhxVc/?utm_medium=copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKAKO3whFBs/?utm_medium=copy_link

On 11/28/2021 at 11:47 PM, raptorjays said:

I heard a rather “privileged” ad run on the radio by Metrolinx just now.  It’s message is that they’re building transit in your community for the better.  They’re trying to convince you that it’s good because “transit will help you get to work.  Transit will help you get to work with bean bag chairs.  Transit will help you get to work with bean bag chairs with coffee mugs that don’t let coffee go cold,” and other luxuries your wealthy workplace may have.

A little insulting to the close-knit communities that rely heavily on the existing infrastructure that keeps their community together, among other things more important than luxury amenities.

10 hours ago, Shaun said:

https://www.blogto.com/real-estate-toronto/2021/03/toronto-neighbourhood-pushes-back-parking-lot-modular-housing/

Looks like they are using the finch parking lot to store these portable housing units. 

Yup. Just like I posted back on Monday, all talk -and nobody shows up when it’s time to live their progressive values.

1 hour ago, Bus_Medic said:

Yup. Just like I posted back on Monday, all talk -and nobody shows up when it’s time to live their progressive values.

Oh, absolutely. My current job sends me to all parks in various selected areas of the city. I don't see "too much density! stop development!!!!!1!" signs in Mount Olive. But affluent leafy old suburbs with huge lots and nice trees are in a frenzy if something is going to be built, maybe on the main road. There are those stupid "Respect our neighbourhood!!" signs up on every front lawn, or more likely boulevard (because the streets are wide).

Here's Birchcliff's frenzy over a not particularly big development:

Save Birch Cliff | Save Birch Cliff Village

As an older white guy, I feel sad that the world would probably be better off without older white guys.

The answer to this is probably lost in the mists of time, but was the apparent extra bridge over the Don river at Sheppart and Leslie built as part of an early LRT scheme? The picture makes it look like it's at a vastly different level than the roadways, but it's basically at grade. And it's a full bridge. Its presence doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I don't think it has anything to do with flood control.

image.thumb.png.a184e763488dd55244fd38c736014438.png

12 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

The answer to this is probably lost in the mists of time, but was the apparent extra bridge over the Don river at Sheppart and Leslie built as part of an early LRT scheme? The picture makes it look like it's at a vastly different level than the roadways, but it's basically at grade. And it's a full bridge. Its presence doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I don't think it has anything to do with flood control.

image.thumb.png.a184e763488dd55244fd38c736014438.png

I think that might be the top of the covered bridge that carries the Sheppard subway across the Don River.  They built it fully enclosed because it's below the flood line of the river, also the same reason you need to go up and then down to enter the station.

2 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

I think that might be the top of the covered bridge that carries the Sheppard subway across the Don River.  They built it fully enclosed because it's below the flood line of the river, also the same reason you need to go up and then down to enter the station.

Hmm! That makes sense. I did not get any rumbles of passing trains while I was exploring the top of the bridge, but service on the Sheppard Line isn't exactly ultrafrequent.

5 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

Hmm! That makes sense. I did not get any rumbles of passing trains while I was exploring the top of the bridge, but service on the Sheppard Line isn't exactly ultrafrequent.

It's the overhead perspective from the satellite view that has me less than 100% certain.  Give me a couple of minutes and let me go get a slide filing box.  I might have a better answer in there.

4 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

It's the overhead perspective from the satellite view that has me less than 100% certain.  Give me a couple of minutes and let me go get a slide filing box.  I might have a better answer in there.

Actually that makes perfect sense. The bridge is indeed a box, which also puzzled me.

image.thumb.png.2f1b501862808eb699365ca7dd0ec83f.png

B8E63A7B-C40E-4D28-BF4E-7F21FBBBE2AF.thumb.jpeg.3ab5e0a8dd8830ef30e4f661de4bae28.jpeg

I took these picture at an open house at Leslie station while the subway was still under construction.  I thought I shot slides but I guess it was prints and I found them in a photo album.  The top left is a picture of the bridge carrying the tunnel - was that what you were on?  

I took a picture because they mentioned it won an award for innovative use of concrete in transit (or something to that effect).

Absolutely that's the subway "tunnel" over the Don River. If you go into the entrance into Leslie station at the southwest corner of Leslie and Sheppard, it's only a few steps down to the station floor (quite the contrast to all the stairs at bus entrance off Old Leslie). Perhaps one of the shallowest underground stations - at the east end at least!

If you are standing on Leslie over the "tunnel" you can see that it aligns with that subway entrance. https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.7712284,-79.3640664,3a,43y,288.85h,84.38t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sT2DeFlfB-vUMYLwCM7AUMw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

What was it about the D40-88,89 and 90's having rear suspension problems where the 85's did not? A few times I noticed that the bus was not at an even hight on either side with one side bottoming out.  Never saw that with the older models. 

When it got to the D40LF they didn't have that problem. 

I don't read Steve Munro's blog very frequently so I only came across this article recently:

TTC Contemplates the Future of Streetcars: 1952, 1971, 1972

The parallels between 1971 report and nearly 50 years later are interesting.  We heard all about how the CLRV reliability was going through the floor because the cars were old and worn out etc. and the fleet needed to be replaced and so on.  Fifty years ago, the same thing was being said about the PCC fleet and the chart showing the car mileage before defect crashing between 1963 and 1970 is pretty instructive.  And honestly, the 1963 figure of 3,194 miles per defect isn't all that great either, but keep in mind the context of the 1960s and all the subway expansion that was causing streetcar abandonment so it's not surprising to see the TTC letting PCCs slide with that showing up in the numbers over the same time period.  What would be interesting to see are some early 1970s figures on the recently overhauled HRB cars to put up against that 1970 number.

I think there was a lot of rose coloured glasses going on in recent years when it comes to the PCC fleet vs. the CLRVs up until they got retired at the end of 2019.  Ultimately, at the end of the day, if you don't stay on top of your equipment and cycle it through the shop to keep it in good condition regularly and address the achilles heel trouble spots that emerge over time, it gets unreliable, it wears out and becomes in poor condition, the MDBF and MTBF figures sink like a stone no matter what sort of equipment it is.

• Like 2