Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2021 at 10:00 AM, PCC Guy said:

Does anyone happen to remember what happened to H6 car 5857 after its derailment at Kennedy station in February 2008? I was browsing through some old posts where someone mentioned that they would be surprised if the car ever saw service again based on the damage that happened to it, and I've found no subsequent reference to the car anywhere (no retirement date for it on the wiki, either) but I don't remember ever hearing about an H6 retiring prematurely. Can anyone weigh in?

In the interest of helping anyone in the future who will be browsing through this thread looking for information, I have in fact found a post that confirmed that this car did actually make it back into service after its accident. Turns out I should've tried searching for 5856 too... d'oh!

I wonder if the mystery would've been solved quicker if the H5/H6 retirement thread was still around, but ah well.

• Thanks 1

A friend and I ended up at Roncesvalles and Queen last week and needed to get to the subway so we started heading north with the idea of catching a northbound something...somewhere...we missed a Dundas car and ended up walking the entire trip to Dundas West Station.  I was kind of surprised by the fact that there was no shuttle service of some form on Roncesvalles.  If a bus would've been too cumbersome to deal with at the south end, was any thought given to using one or two streetcars to run a shuttle looping at Dundas West at the top and through the yard via the north gate at the bottom since the carhouse is still in service via the north gate and Roncesvalles Ave?

11 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

A friend and I ended up at Roncesvalles and Queen last week and needed to get to the subway so we started heading north with the idea of catching a northbound something...

There is the 504G bus, that's supposed to be running from Dundas West station down Roncesvalles to Marion, just north of Queen. Every 5.5 minutes mid-morning. Not sure what reality is, but this is what it looks like right now - https://totransit.ca/

image.thumb.png.a22c1bca4d48d8e1a9c16b26ba8c437e.png

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

There is the 504G bus, that's supposed to be running from Dundas West station down Roncesvalles to Marion, just north of Queen. Every 5.5 minutes mid-morning. Not sure what reality is, but this is what it looks like right now - https://totransit.ca/

image.thumb.png.a22c1bca4d48d8e1a9c16b26ba8c437e.png

This was Thursday evening last week.  I didn't see anything go up Roncesvalles except for a Dundas car that I was a couple blocks away from being able to catch and the only thing going down were Carlton run-ins heading to the yard so it was totally MIA in both directions on Thursday evening around 8:00 PM.

The 504G/Q service right now is not reliable as it was scheduled to be the 504C. Buses get alternated between the two branches and the schedules are a major problem, sometimes resulting in 3-4 buses at a terminus with buses missing on the other branch and along the rest of that branch

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Do the current service changes on the 501 end tomorrow(October 11th)? TTC website says that today is the last day of the current service changes which is Streetcars divert via Parliament and King to Charlotte Loop and Buses west of Queen and Parliament to Long Branch and Humber Loops.

10 hours ago, John Oke said:

Do the current service changes on the 501 end tomorrow(October 11th)? TTC website says that today is the last day of the current service changes which is Streetcars divert via Parliament and King to Charlotte Loop and Buses west of Queen and Parliament to Long Branch and Humber Loops.

Where on the website?

There's a new notice effective today - http://www.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Service_changes/Oct501.jsp

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Tom1122 said:

I went out to try to ride the automated bus shuttle out of Rouge Hill between 2:00 and 2:30 but the bus didn't show up. Is they still running the automated bus shuttle?

Also, any chance it would be out Sunday?

I haven't heard if they even started it yet but it is rush hour only. You won't catch one at 2pm according to the schedule https://www.toronto.ca/services-payments/streets-parking-transportation/transportation-projects/automated-vehicles/automated-vehicles-pilot-projects/automated-shuttle-trial/

2 hours ago, blue.bird.fan said:

When I try to access the website, it still shows me the old one.

Hmmmm. I was surprised when I tried it overnight and got a new site. Had not heard of a new site going live. I try it now (11am) and it is the old site, though on my computer the page keeps refreshing. Must still be working on the changeover. Guess wait and see when the new site will be live full-time. There is a release (https://ttc.ca/TTC_Accessibility/New_Website.jsp) on the old site that says the new site is coming "this week". Sooooo there is a full seven days for them to deliver.

26 minutes ago, blue.bird.fan said:

The new TTC website has been relaunched on my end.

14 hours ago, blue.bird.fan said:

Trying to access route schedules was painfully slow.

Yes, it's been relaunched, but it's still painfully slow, and sometimes times-out/fails to load.

951713446_ScreenShot2021-10-22at11_43_45PM.thumb.png.0a613c32658e3b97411461c298ab61fd.png

Seems to be loading well - but good grief, it's awful! Instead of seeing everything you want in one place - like a page, it's like you only ever see a part of it, blown up to the point, where it's difficult to comprehend anything? The font is beyond massive. There's huge pictures everywhere that don't seem to have any function. Even on a laptop monitor, it seems to have been designed for someone trying to read it on their telephone. Which is bizarre, given the old website had separate website and telephone versions.

More awful service from TTC.

• Like 1

I'm not sure the old site needed redesigning, but I don't really see any ground breaking problems with the new design. I think it's fairly intuitive and straight forward, took me less than 30 seconds to find route information, which at the end of the day is all that is really important to me. I don't go to the TTC for award winning website design.

One nice to have would be to be able to punch in your route of choice right from the homepage, there's a touch too many steps going on right now to make it efficient when you're in a hurry. And it would be nice if the "latest news" section had some teaser images, the way they've gone about it now looks very cheap.

On 10/23/2021 at 4:49 PM, nfitz said:

Seems to be loading well - but good grief, it's awful! Instead of seeing everything you want in one place - like a page, it's like you only ever see a part of it, blown up to the point, where it's difficult to comprehend anything? The font is beyond massive. There's huge pictures everywhere that don't seem to have any function. Even on a laptop monitor, it seems to have been designed for someone trying to read it on their telephone. Which is bizarre, given the old website had separate website and telephone versions.

More awful service from TTC.

Web development has been moving away from separate desktop & mobile versions to a unified design system, in part because you're not having to maintain two separate sites. This isn't unique to the TTC website.

Unfortunately, desktop & laptop users these days are the minority. Most people looking at websites are on mobile devices; this is well known among the web development community (we have the analytics data), and designs are now reflecting that.

Even my own personal website, which was designed with only desktop in mind, sees about half of it's traffic come over mobile devices.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Archer said:

Web development has been moving away from separate desktop & mobile versions to a unified design system, in part because you're not having to maintain two separate sites. This isn't unique to the TTC website.

Unfortunately, desktop & laptop users these days are the minority. Most people looking at websites are on mobile devices; this is well known among the web development community (we have the analytics data), and designs are now reflecting that.

That's just absurd. I'm not sure how TTC can be reducing the accessibility of their website, simply to save some $ maintaining it. I thought there was a move towards increased accessibility - not away from it.

2 hours ago, nfitz said:

That's just absurd. I'm not sure how TTC can be reducing the accessibility of their website, simply to save some $ maintaining it. I thought there was a move towards increased accessibility - not away from it.

I'm pretty sure accessibility doesn't mean making it neat and have everything clustered on the screen at the same time, which was the problem with the old site.

This site is designed to make it easier for people with vision loss to read and for blind people to use Text To Speech services. 

The old site was created with a structure of the early 2000s which was badly outdated. Scripting is limited. Schedules, route stops and route maps were all on separated pages. They meant they had to update thousands of pages to simply add a new route to the sidebar. This modern site simply requires an update to one place with all routes linking to it.

This site does have badly outdated info and issues that hopefully the can sort out in a month or so. The schedules are hardly to read as you can't easily distinguish each branches as they are no longer coloured.