Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

18 hours ago, MK78 said:

This is a weird one on the TTC status page. No explanation given

984 Sheppard West Express service cancelled. 84 Sheppard West service will continue.

Last updated 5:13 PM

There was a bad accident causing severe traffic and the 84C and 99 to divert. Assuming that the 984 buses got redirected over to the 84 to handle the delay

11 minutes ago, TTC Guy said:

There was a bad accident causing severe traffic and the 84C and 99 to divert. Assuming that the 984 buses got redirected over to the 84 to handle the delay

Yeah that makes sense, but they usually provide an explanation, like when they cancel express buses during bad weather, etc... Seeing no explanation was the weird part.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2021 at 5:35 PM, Mike said:

Inability of the TTC to provide service as per the schedules is nothing new.  However,  during the pandemic while both passenger and traffic volumes are much lower I would have expected them to be a little better at it.

I passed the bus loop at Beyview and Steeles around 1:40pm today and there were two 11 buses in there with a third turning from Bayview to Steeles to get into the loop.  The service at that time should be every 13 minutes.   So likely there hasn’t been a southbound 11 bus in about a half hour. 

Over the last year and a half I have driven past that loop more than usual - at different times of the day and on weekdays/weekends.  I have seen multiple 11 buses in the loop more than once.

Anyone else has seen such examples of careless attitude towards service during the pandemic in other routes?

Funny enough, on June 27 (last Sunday), I saw similar bunching on the 11 along Davisville. There were two buses following each other very closely.

Overcrowding has also been a big problem on the 504/505 replacement bus along Broadview. Every single one of these buses I see is too crowded to be safe.

https://stevemunro.ca/2021/06/28/metrolinx-gives-toronto-the-finger-twice/

Well.. Doug Ford's double-standard and hypocrisy is just fxxxin ridiculous

It is so funny that him and his brother (who's laid in his coffin now) was ALL-IN for underground transit... and now they are going ALL-IN for overground section at Leslieville just because the riding there is an NDP riding.. 

There are very strong opposition within the community about building section of Ontario Line overground, and it seems like Metrolinx and MTO is just giving them middle fingers now. 

I know the Metrolinx usually works closely with the provincial government (regardless of which party is in power).. but the way Doug Ford is working with them is completely disastrous..

People need to wake up and vote that cancerous Doug Ford dude out. I suspect those Ford families are dreaming of dynasty similar to North Korea (Kim's family) or Cuba (Castro's family).. to sabotage more things to develop Toronto and Ontario.. 

The transit in Toronto would have been much better and more advanced if Rob Ford didn't cancel the transit city plan entirely... 

2 hours ago, raptorjays said:

https://stevemunro.ca/2021/06/28/metrolinx-gives-toronto-the-finger-twice/

Well.. Doug Ford's double-standard and hypocrisy is just fxxxin ridiculous

It is so funny that him and his brother (who's laid in his coffin now) was ALL-IN for underground transit... and now they are going ALL-IN for overground section at Leslieville just because the riding there is an NDP riding.. 

There are very strong opposition within the community about building section of Ontario Line overground, and it seems like Metrolinx and MTO is just giving them middle fingers now. 

I know the Metrolinx usually works closely with the provincial government (regardless of which party is in power).. but the way Doug Ford is working with them is completely disastrous..

People need to wake up and vote that cancerous Doug Ford dude out. I suspect those Ford families are dreaming of dynasty similar to North Korea (Kim's family) or Cuba (Castro's family).. to sabotage more things to develop Toronto and Ontario.. 

The transit in Toronto would have been much better and more advanced if Rob Ford didn't cancel the transit city plan entirely... 

Ford definitely wanted to push for subways, but not realizing the true cost of building underground plus the amount of planning involved. Especially with the relief line now called the Ontario Line, the cost would most likely at least 1 to 2 billion dollars per mile building through the densest area of the city involving a lot of underground utilities that have to be accounted for. 

2019 dollars pegged the stretch between Pape and Osgoode via Pape and Queen with 8 stations and heavy rail at $8 billion to $9.2 billion. Of course with inflation, it would probably be closer to $10 billion dollars to build the 7.4 kilometre stretch.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone noticed that some TTC tracking sites/apps haven't been working since yesterday afternoon?

For me on iPhone, TTC watch, Busly, TTC Bus Map, Transit don't work, all display some error with connection (on Wifi & Cellular), but NextBus app works.

Pocket track website doesn't work, however Nextbus site & TransSee work.

Anyone seeing anything similar? Usually in the past when there were issues, none of the apps or sites worked.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MK78 said:

Has anyone noticed that some TTC tracking sites/apps haven't been working since yesterday afternoon?

For me on iPhone, TTC watch, Busly, TTC Bus Map, Transit don't work, all display some error with connection (on Wifi & Cellular), but NextBus app works.

Pocket track website doesn't work, however Nextbus site & TransSee work.

Anyone seeing anything similar? Usually in the past when there were issues, none of the apps or sites worked.

I’ve found Rocketman said that Android was working and they were working on an update for iOS devices. Don’t know what the status on that is though. Weird that some trackers aren’t working but some are

7 hours ago, MK78 said:

yeah couple apps got updated. I guess TTC changed something in their back end? or maybe nextbus, not sure where the apps get their data feed from.

Still waiting for my fav app, TTC Watch.

Seems like the nextbus data pulls are being blocked or the server is down

Nextbus is no more and has rebranded as Umo Mobility. They changed the link to the data pull so apps need to be updated to be able to get data again.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Seems like the nextbus data pulls are being blocked or the server is down

Nextbus is no more and has rebranded as Umo Mobility. They changed the link to the data pull so apps need to be updated to be able to get data again.

Ah, that makes sense now. I guess some apps/trackers already had the updated info, thats why a few worked. I sent an email to the developer of TTC Watch this morning, hopefully he updates it. Its the only app I know on the iPhone that shows run numbers along with the vehicle numbers.

Speaking of UMO. The NextBus app notifies about switching to UMO app, yet its unavailable to download in Canada yet.

• Like 1

Dev of TTC Watch replied to my email and said the back end server information was changed without notice, apparently. He made the change and the updated app is awaiting App Store review process.

Edit: TTC Watch has been updated, appeard in the App Store this morning. works fine again.

Forgive me for asking such a rudimentary question, but I'm trying to avoid the Lawrence-St. Clair closure tomorrow and am not sure which option would be the most reliable to get from Yonge/Eglinton to Parkdale.

Should I take the 32 to Caledonia and then transfer to the 47 all the way down; take the 32 over to the Spadina Line, subway down to Osgoode and take the 501 replacement bus, or should I take the shuttle bus to St. Clair, then the Yonge subway to Queen, and then the 501 replacement bus?

I'm leaning towards the third option, but am wondering about the reliability of the others.

9 hours ago, blue.bird.fan said:

Forgive me for asking such a rudimentary question, but I'm trying to avoid the Lawrence-St. Clair closure tomorrow and am not sure which option would be the most reliable to get from Yonge/Eglinton to Parkdale.

Should I take the 32 to Caledonia and then transfer to the 47 all the way down; take the 32 over to the Spadina Line, subway down to Osgoode and take the 501 replacement bus, or should I take the shuttle bus to St. Clair, then the Yonge subway to Queen, and then the 501 replacement bus?

I'm leaning towards the third option, but am wondering about the reliability of the others.

The 32 would be the best because Caledonia is one (if not, the only one) of the few intersecting roads with transit service that does not have an insane amount of construction and stop relocation to transfer buses. Biggest block though... Eglinton West Station with the Allen traffic.

Might I suggest the 13 to St. Clair, then 512 to Lansdowne?
Or perhaps 13 to Museum, Line 1 to Osgoode and take the 501 west?
You could also do the 61 or 97A/F (pickup up the hill at Broadway if you can) instead to Lawrence and 52 across then 47B down if you don't mind enlarging your trip.

• Like 1

Anyone know why TTC replaced the original rotating doors to the older subway stations in the last decade even before they made the station accessible?

Were these type of doors not user friendly or have mobility issues?

Example below the middle door:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6782645,-79.3522078,3a,55.1y,274.78h,84.98t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1snRHoQyFQkjVSHXEc36ARnA!2e0!5s20110801T000000!7i13312!8i6656

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orion V said:

Anyone know why TTC replaced the original rotating doors to the older subway stations in the last decade even before they made the station accessible?

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6782645,-79.3522078,3a,55.1y,274.78h,84.98t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1snRHoQyFQkjVSHXEc36ARnA!2e0!5s20110801T000000!7i13312!8i6656

Accessibility is most likely why, since the goal is to have all the stations fully accessible, those doors certainly were not.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Orion V said:

The doors were designed to allow for easy opening despite the rise and fall of the air pressure inside the structure as the trains passed in the tunnels below, but still prevent most of the outside air and weather from rushing in.

And while they did that reasonably well, they were also heavy and cumbersome, and frankly difficult for a lot of people to use. I remember seeing lots of young children straining trying to open them for adults, and not being able to budge them. I remember seeing lots of adults struggle to open them to get into or out of the subway.

While their removal may not have been celebrated, their loss has made for a system that is easier to access. To put it mildly, they were shite.

Dan

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I brought this up cause I recently saw a video walkthrough of Montreal and noticed STM Metro stations still uses these type of rotating doors. It brought back memories of the 90/2000s when TTC used them.

STM Metro must be really behind in the times! lol

1 hour ago, Orion V said:

I brought this up cause I recently saw a video walkthrough of Montreal and noticed STM Metro stations still uses these type of rotating doors. It brought back memories of the 90/2000s when TTC used them.

STM Metro must be really behind in the times! lol

They really aren’t. The stations are well built compared to that of TTC’s. More artistically influenced and they definitely don’t put up with the bs that we deal with in Toronto. If I were to compare STM to TTC, I’d give STM the upper hand

12 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

They really aren’t. The stations are well built compared to that of TTC’s. More artistically influenced and they definitely don’t put up with the bs that we deal with in Toronto. If I were to compare STM to TTC, I’d give STM the upper hand

Maybe this is just me being pragmatic, but if it was just down to the two choices I'd much rather have Toronto's much higher capacity than their architectural beauty.

Pretty places are nice to have, but if they can't move people than they're kind of pointless.

Dan

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

In regard to accessibility, they’re wayyy behind us.

18 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Who said they’re not promasters?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smallspy said:

Maybe this is just me being pragmatic, but if it was just down to the two choices I'd much rather have Toronto's much higher capacity than their architectural beauty.

Pretty places are nice to have, but if they can't move people than they're kind of pointless.

Dan

I’m not sure why it has to be a binary one or the other choice though.  You could do a high capacity subway with nice stations but the problem is the legacy of Toronto’s Puritan tyrannical frugalness.  The city is collectively too cheap to spend money to have nice things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1