Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

2 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

TTC GM NEW LOOK ARTIC?

Question?

I know the TTC had GM New Look Artics back in the 1980's just like Ottawa, Hamilton & Mississauga I know when they first got them they had silver stainless steel lower panels.(I believe)

But?

Later did some get all white lower panels(I'm guessing after rebuild?) I saw a pic but I can't tell if the lower half is white or stainless steel silver panels? the angle of the pic is hard to tell?

The reason I ask is I got 3 Gm New Look artics 1:43 scale models from Vector Metal Works Models 2 OC Transpo(Red Stripe 8201 & 8222  paint scheme )1 Mississauga paint scheme. I want to do the last one in TTC colours either in silver lower half or if they have white in lower half? Not sure yet which to do it in? 

They were purged from the fleet by the mid 1980s and never received any paint mods from original.

14 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Thanks. At least now I have only one choice Silver Stainless steel lower half?

Thanks Bus_Medic

That makes my choice easier.

The panels weren't stainless steel. They were stamped aluminum. That's why they were usually unpainted - and why they needed to be shaped with the fluting.

Dan

Did any of the buses built from 1981 received the yellow “PLEASE YIELD” stickers? If so, I believe these buses from #8520-#8561 and #8380-#8486 were the first to get one or it just the next order.

When did the TTC start putting up the yield stickers on their buses?

On 7/31/2020 at 11:38 PM, bus_7246 said:

@MCIBUS try using the pics on this page: 

https://public.fotki.com/esbdave/canadian-transit/ontario-transit-agencies/ttc/page33.html

They aren’t the best lit pictures, but there are other fleets of newlooks to compare with

Thanks for posting that link.  I enjoyed a lot of the other pictures on there as well as the GM artics.

• 5 weeks later...

It looks like the city has begun installing the bus only lanes on Morningside Ave. Earlier this week I noticed faint lines drawn in the curb lanes between Kingston Rd and West Hill Collegiate that seem to be outlining where the red paint would go. Today morning they had converted the northbound curb lane approaching Kingston Rd to right turns only as well as painted the northbound curb lane from Kingston Rd to the 12D/905/334 farside stop (about two bus lengths) red.

• Like 1

According to @Robert Lubinski's allocation sheets dated to 1988, it would appear the Flyer D901 batches from 1981 and 1986 were allocated to the following garages:

1981 (8380-8476)
- 8380-8413: Queensway
- 8414: Eglinton
- 8415-8449: Wilson
- 8450-8455: Eglinton
- 8456: Queensway
- 8457-8476: Eglinton

Gray Coach (8477-8486)
- 8477-8481: Eglinton
- 8482-8486: Queensway 

1985 (6000-6122)
- 6000-6021: Wilson
- 6022-6047: Queensway
- 6048-6072: Eglinton
- 6073-6085: Malvern
- 6086-6097: Birchmount 
- 6098-6109: Malvern
- 6110-6122: Birchmount

1986 (6130-6204)
- 6130-6149: Wilson
- 6150-6159: Eglinton
- 6160-6174: Birchmount
- 6175-6184: Queensway
- 6185-6204: Malvern

Where did the 1981 D901s ended up delivered originally to various garages apart from the Gray Coach group which was assigned to Lakeshore? Which divisions that the 1985-86 D901s were allocated to as delivered? If the list mentioned above from 1985-86 is correct or not were the allocations for #6000-#6122, #6130-#6204, let me know.

4 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

Anyone know if the TTC day passes (old paper versions that were discontinued Nov 2019) are still valid for the 2 adults on weekends?

I still have a few that I couldn't use up due to covid and wonder if they can still be used?

Yes ... tokens and tickets too ... and I found a couple more the other day. They are yet to set a day when they end.

See this page - https://www.ttc.ca/News/2019/October/23_10_19NR_StopSellTokens.jsp and the note at the top of https://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/Fare_information/index.jsp

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2020 at 7:59 PM, PCC Guy said:

Is the 175 supposed to stop running in time for Thanksgiving Day, or after that day? The messaging on the TTC's site isn't too clear, not helped at all by the tagline that says "Effective date: Continues until October 10, 2020"...

http://ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Service_changes/Sep175.jsp

The 121D and 175 seasonal services will run until Thanksgiving Day. They will stop running after that holiday.

• Thanks 1

Hello folks,

I just moved back to my family in Toronto (lived/worked in Italy for about 3 years). Being forced to quarantine for 14 days I'm trying to pass the time, I turned on my old Uniden scanner that I bought many years before with all the GTA frequencies programmed in it. I used to be able to listen to the TTC on it, it was quite busy with chatter and quite informative on what was happening.

Does anyone know if something has changed, I've had it on for the past day, and I haven't heard a thing. Do I need to get my scanner reprogrammed?

Any info would be appreciated,

Thanks, Jason.

1 hour ago, Jason_W said:

Does anyone know if something has changed, I've had it on for the past day, and I haven't heard a thing. Do I need to get my scanner reprogrammed?

Unfortunately yes, the TTC has changed its radio system from the old analog system to a new, digital system that is not capable of being monitored on any scanner even the most modern. The system is called TETRA. There is a way of listening, but it involves using a computer, a SDR (Software Defined Radio) USB dongle and some general knowledge on how to use a SDR.

However, there is an online stream you can listen to, it's basically the same dispatch & supervisor channels that used to be on the analog radio system. Works fairly well.

Toronto Transit Control stream

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, MK78 said:

Unfortunately yes, the TTC has changed its radio system from the old analog system to a new, digital system that is not capable of being monitored on any scanner even the most modern. The system is called TETRA. There is a way of listening, but it involves using a computer, a SDR (Software Defined Radio) USB dongle and some general knowledge on how to use a SDR.

However, there is an online stream you can listen to, it's basically the same dispatch & supervisor channels that used to be on the analog radio system. Works fairly well.

Toronto Transit Control stream

Wow, thanks. Didn't expect that they replaced the entire system.

Yeah I'm not a techy person so I don't think I'll be trying my luck with this SDR radio.

Tried the stream, it works!

Took a walk down Kingston Rd this morning, they've installed banners all along the roadway for the RapidTO bus lanes. They also began painting a few small sections on Kingston Rd they will be done within the next two days. I also found a map of all of the updated stops and they are removing alot of stops which is gonna cause alot of complaints because of the walking distances between stops now. 

2 hours ago, Ultimate said:

Took a walk down Kingston Rd this morning, they've installed banners all along the roadway for the RapidTO bus lanes. They also began painting a few small sections on Kingston Rd they will be done within the next two days. I also found a map of all of the updated stops and they are removing alot of stops which is gonna cause alot of complaints because of the walking distances between stops now. 

They installed the banners on Morningside as well. I have my doubts they'll be done painting the lanes by Sunday judging by how long it took them to do Morningside. After starting a little over a month ago, they just finished doing the red paint on Morningside yesterday. They still got some final touches to do on the southbound Morningside lane (bold white line, diamond lane markings and right turn lane markings). The northbound lane is pretty much complete unless they plan on adding more diamond lane markings, there is currently only one at Kingston Rd where the lane starts.

• Like 1