Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

8 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

So while customer service was congratulating operators on Twitter, a mechanic at Duncan has been diagnosed.

Duncan’s closed, all the guys are quarantined.

Saw this tidbit. Not a smart cat, this guy.

TTC spokesperson Stuart Green said the worker is a mechanic “who does not work on frontline service maintenance.” He works at the Duncan Shop, where bus rebuilds and overhauls take place.

Green also said around 130-170 employees are currently in self-isolation as a result.

“The employee worked one shift on March 11 after returning from travel and was sent home sick. They have not returned to work since,” TTC CEO Rick Leary said in a letter to employees on Thursday morning.

43 minutes ago, MK78 said:

Saw this tidbit. Not a smart cat, this guy.

Indeed. He’ll have to face his co workers later.

HR policy or no, the prison yard will find out, one way or the other. In the end though, if it wasn’t him, it would’ve been someone else picking it up from a handrail or passenger tomorrow. 

Snowflake in a blizzard.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Indeed. He’ll have to face his co workers later.

HR policy or no, the prison yard will find out, one way or the other. In the end though, if it wasn’t him, it would’ve been someone else picking it up from a handrail or passenger tomorrow. 

Snowflake in a blizzard.

Speaking of that though, all this week I saw bus operators with their shields folded down... That surely isn't helping.

54 minutes ago, MK78 said:

Speaking of that though, all this week I saw bus operators with their shields folded down... That surely isn't helping.

Probably not. But taken to the logical conclusion, neither is showing up to work, period. Then everybody without a car is up shit creek.
Passenger(s) say use the barriers, but the city said (until today) that masks are prohibited because they cause panic?

Somewhere in this mess, government orders end and personal accountability  begins. And then who should I give I higher priority? The health of my family and household? Or my job? Because they’re be brutally honest, right now the city is asking me to put my job first. 
My wife and daughter are having a problem coming to terms with that. Frankly as every day goes by, I’m having a harder and harder time reconciling it within myself.

Sure as shit I’m not doing it because of some disingenuous tweet from customer service. /end rant. For now.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, MK78 said:

That shield is pretty much useless to keep air and water droplets away from the driver. It would be a different story if we had a sealed off compartment like used in many places outside of North American.

15 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

That shield is pretty much useless to keep air and water droplets away from the driver. It would be a different story if we had a sealed off compartment like used in many places outside of North American.

I dunno, it would seem to me that it could prevent people getting in the face of the operator, leaning and touching the folded door, and if you put some clear packing tape on those holes, could possibly minimize the effect of an errant sneeze or cough.

Every small thing should help, no?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MK78 said:

I dunno, it would seem to me that it could prevent people getting in the face of the operator, leaning and touching the folded door, and if you put some clear packing tape on those holes, could possibly minimize the effect of an errant sneeze or cough.

Every small thing should help, no?

It’s a smart thought, but it wouldn’t do much since the front end of the shield is open air as well. Strictly rear door boarding, with a reduced passenger count seems like the better idea coming from a person already on the frontlines 

• Like 1

Paper Transfers will not be provided at this time

In order to reduce contact between our Operators and customers, Operators will not be issuing paper transfers at this time. Our Operators and Collectors have been informed and are aware that customers who have paid by cash, TTC ticket or token will not have a paper transfer and should be permitted to board a bus or enter a station. PRESTO card or PRESTO Ticket customers should continue to tap their card when they board a vehicle and enter a station.

So whats the point in paying?  Instead of them saying you need a presto card/ticket they basically are saying ride free, just tell the driver you paid already. Then they say they lose millions and blame the riders 

3 hours ago, BusDude said:

Paper Transfers will not be provided at this time

In order to reduce contact between our Operators and customers, Operators will not be issuing paper transfers at this time. Our Operators and Collectors have been informed and are aware that customers who have paid by cash, TTC ticket or token will not have a paper transfer and should be permitted to board a bus or enter a station. PRESTO card or PRESTO Ticket customers should continue to tap their card when they board a vehicle and enter a station.

So whats the point in paying?  Instead of them saying you need a presto card/ticket they basically are saying ride free, just tell the driver you paid already. Then they say they lose millions and blame the riders 

They are already expected to lose millions

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, MK78 said:

Well, the province is supposedly order only essential businesses remain open on Wednesday, so the ridership will go down even more. TTC will probably have no choice to reduce service levels.

25% of runs never left the garage this morning. They’re already reduced anyway.

19 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

They need to go to some kind of modified Sunday service ... which is almost 50% of weekday AM peak. Streetcars look pretty empty.

28 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

There's no Express service runs anymore except 900 and 927. Seems like soon everything off peak will run 20-30 min

Yeah, didn't notice any out today except for one 985 bus heading towards Don Mills. I assumed it was a 985A coming from STC. Artics from 985 were reassigned to 85 today.

Based on the Transee, It looks like Mt Dennis chose to throw a few of their extra artics onto 89 today, i guess to compensate for the loss of 989.

1 hour ago, Bus_Medic said:

Yeah I've been home since Thursday afternoon so I hadn't seen anything this week. Wont be taking the TTC for the very forseeable future anyway. Thank god they let us cancel those 12 month Presto passes just in time. Though Im sure a lot of folks didn't.

So they are moving from not handing transfers out to making the only form of payment Presto cards. Wonder if fare evasion played any part in this decision but they had rear do entry in place anyways. Stay safe to all the TTC workers on the front lines and beyond. 

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2020/03/23/health-experts-warn-of-face-mask-shortage-1472-cases-of-confirmed-and-presumptive-covid-19-in-canada.html

8:00 p.m.: The TTC will stop accepting cash, tickets, and tokens on all of its bus routes and will ask passengers to only use the vehicles’ rear doors in effort to protect the agency’s drivers from the spread of COVID-19. Until further notice, the only way for bus riders to pay on the vehicles will be with the Presto fare card.

2 minutes ago, CBlake said:

So they are moving from not handing transfers out to making the only form of payment Presto cards. Wonder if fare evasion played any part in this decision but they had rear do entry in place anyways. Stay safe to all the TTC workers on the front lines and beyond. 

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2020/03/23/health-experts-warn-of-face-mask-shortage-1472-cases-of-confirmed-and-presumptive-covid-19-in-canada.html

8:00 p.m.: The TTC will stop accepting cash, tickets, and tokens on all of its bus routes and will ask passengers to only use the vehicles’ rear doors in effort to protect the agency’s drivers from the spread of COVID-19. Until further notice, the only way for bus riders to pay on the vehicles will be with the Presto fare card.

March 23, 2020

Effective today, and being implemented over the next 24 hours, the TTC is kindly asking its bus customers to board and exit from the rear doors only, unless the accessible ramp needs to be deployed, as fare boxes will not be accessible. This change, made in consultation with ATU Local 113, allows for greater social distancing while minimizing potential contact with operators. TTC operators have also been instructed to keep their protective barriers closed at all times.

Last week, operators stopped handing out paper transfers to bus customers paying by cash, tickets or tokens. The TTC will no longer be accepting payment by cash, tickets or tokens on TTC buses (excluding Wheel-Trans) starting on March 24. Customers are asked to pay using PRESTO where available.

"This move is being made to prioritize the health and safety of our employees and customers," said TTC CEO Rick Leary. "We continue to focus on physical distancing, social equity and ensuring we match capacity to demand."

The TTC continues to take direction and follow the sound advice from Toronto Public Health regarding what precautions and controls should be implemented to protect the well-being of our customers and employees.

With more than 90 per cent of riders now using PRESTO, customers are still required to tap their PRESTO card and PRESTO ticket when boarding a vehicle or entering a station.

The TTC is closely monitoring ridership and service trends daily across all modes, and reviewing staffing and resources in order to effectively match service delivery with availability.

Over the past week, daily PRESTO taps indicated ridership declined by more than 70 per cent as compared to a typical early March weekday. While the TTC continues to move a substantial number of people across the system each day, customer travel patterns are changing and ridership is declining.

As a result, the following service changes are affected:
- All 900-series Express routes are reallocated as needed, except for 900 Airport Express, 903 Kennedy-Scarborough Centre Express and 927 Highway 27 Express.
- All 140-series Downtown Express routes are reallocated as where needed.
- 176 Mimico GO and 508 Lake Shore service is reallocated as needed.

Regular bus services will continue to run along Express routes that are suspended, with the majority of service operating every 10 minutes or better. All neighbourhoods continue to be served and additional buses will be operated where and when required.

The service changes will be reflected on public facing applications (e.g. NextBus, Triplinx, etc.) in the week ahead. Please expect some prediction irregularity to occur while updates are being implemented.

The deadline for PRESTO card customers to cancel their Autorenew or 12 Month Pass for April, has been extended until 11:59 p.m. on Friday, March 27. Customers wishing to cancel their Autorenew or 12 Month Pass, should visit prestocard.ca and log into their My PRESTO Account. Anyone who wants to re-sign up for Autorenew or a 12 Month Pass can do so during the pass sales window, which is available from the last 12 days of the month until eight days after the next month.

For the complete list of 900 Express and 140 Downtown Express routes please visit ttc.ca.

For more information on TTC Routes, Schedules and Fares, please call 416-393-INFO (4636) or TTY Line at 416-481-2523.

The TTC is committed to keeping customers informed about work and events that impact service and about alternative routes. For the most up-to-date information, follow @TTCNotices on Twitter or sign up for eAlerts or visit https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ttc.ca&data=02%7C01%7C%7Ccb7da19df5be4a89c65a08d7cf775b42%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637205983839299034&sdata=UnDOIQedpvp3y9r4ZrRzaOAahEK416lRGlWUinfvv0Y%3D&reserved=0

• Thanks 1