Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

For something that is given with each Presto fare payment, reliable information about the two-hour transfer within the company is severely lacking... still. The ambiguously worded answers don't help either.

https://twitter.com/MetroManTO/status/1233911063667605504?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1233914619250511874&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.redditmedia.com%2Fmediaembed%2Ffbokrk%3Fresponsive%3Dtrue%26is_nightmode%3Dfalse

55 minutes ago, 63 Ossington said:

For something that is given with each Presto fare payment, reliable information about the two-hour transfer within the company is severely lacking... still. The ambiguously worded answers don't help either.

https://twitter.com/MetroManTO/status/1233911063667605504?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1233914619250511874&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.redditmedia.com%2Fmediaembed%2Ffbokrk%3Fresponsive%3Dtrue%26is_nightmode%3Dfalse

There is zero ways for a regular rider to know when it expires (unlike YRT) because they refuse to implement time remaining on the presto screens. You can't even choose to pay for a new fare if the transfer is still valid. As long as the card is tapped at boarding as required, I'm pretty sure the court would side with the rider even if they write them a ticket. 

2 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

There is zero ways for a regular rider to know when it expires (unlike YRT) because they refuse to implement time remaining on the presto screens. You can't even choose to pay for a new fare if the transfer is still valid. As long as the card is tapped at boarding as required, I'm pretty sure the court would side with the rider even if they write them a ticket. 

So basically when "you think" you are near the 2h mark, get off any streetcars.

All other TTC vehicles (except bustitution streetcar routes) are safe as transit enforcers don't check them. Drivers check all boarding passengers or you board from a fare paid station and all rapid transit lines are fare paid zones. That's the new unofficial rule.

What is so hard to understand? If you tap within the 2 hour period it won't charge you another fare. If your 2 hours are up while you're on a bus or streetcar it doesn't mean anything other then you'll be charged another fare if you transfer. If you're not transferring you won't be kicked off or anything, so just finish your trip.  

That Perdo guy in that tweet is just clueless. Fare inspector told him that he had 4 minutes left in his presto transfer just so he's aware in case he needs to transfer to another vehicle and Pedro gets all bent out of shape about it. Even after his tweet was answered he still didn't get it ?

Screenshot_20200301-011052.jpg

3 minutes ago, Orion V said:

So basically when "you think" you are near the 2h mark, get off any streetcars.

Stop making up stuff. You will not be ticketed for using a transfer within the 2 hour window even if you transfer expires after you board. 

9 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Huh? If you don't have a watch, surely you have a phone or some other way of telling the time? Check what time it is when you first tap on. You have an hour and fifty nine minutes left. (ETA: Vision vehicles are always telling you the time.)

Granted that it would be nice to see both the time remaining, and your card's balance, when you tap on. I wind up checking my transfer history at reloading stations (because my cards are unregistered).

9 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

What is so hard to understand? If you tap within the 2 hour period it won't charge you another fare. If your 2 hours are up while you're on a bus or streetcar it doesn't mean anything other then you'll be charged another fare if you transfer. If you're not transferring you won't be kicked off or anything, so just finish your trip.  

Stop making up stuff. You will not be ticketed for using a transfer within the 2 hour window even if you transfer expires after you board. 

Exactly. I have managed, often enough, to tap on a minute or two before the two hours expire, and I've also lost the gamble and tapped on a minute after the time expired (darn slow streetcars!). Of course if I tap on with only seconds to spare, I want to ensure that the remainder of my trip won't require transferring. That means taking the subway and its fare-paid area transfers. Even the possibility of a short turn is also to be avoided. B)

11 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

That Perdo guy in that tweet is just clueless. Fare inspector told him that he had 4 minutes left in his presto transfer just so he's aware in case he needs to transfer to another vehicle and Pedro gets all bent out of shape about it. Even after his tweet was answered he still didn't get it ?

Screenshot_20200301-011052.jpg

As of last night of my post, that was my impression and hence my original reply to be on the safe side after reading the original quote.
(From this reply of TTC)
https://twitter.com/MetroManTO/status/1233911063667605504/photo/2

This just posted by TTC 5h ago which clears this up. Here's the new reply today.
https://toronto.citynews.ca/2020/03/01/ttc-fares-go-up-sunday/

11 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

There is zero ways for a regular rider to know when it expires (unlike YRT) because they refuse to implement time remaining on the presto screens.

That's only partially correct.

If you are using an Android device with the Presto app installed, it will give you that information when you read the card.

Dan

1 hour ago, smallspy said:

If you are using an Android device with the Presto app installed, it will give you that information when you read the card.

Yes and no ... I've tried to check my card en route a few times. It just doesn't work at all in the subway, because despite it only needing to talk to your card, the app simply won't start without connectivity.

And it can take a long time to start at other times ... simply sitting forever.

I don't normally know what's happened until the next day. The other day, I tapped in at station, and looked later and realised I'd tapped at 1:59 hrs since my previous tap. Making it impossible to complete a trip within 2 hours.

I'm not sure why TTC on the Saturday before the change in fare, suddenly felt the need to start communicating such obviously wrong information.

2 hours ago, Orion V said:

As of last night of my post, that was my impression and hence my original reply to be on the safe side after reading the original quote.
(From this reply of TTC)

This just posted by TTC 5h ago which clears this up. Here's the new reply today.
https://toronto.citynews.ca/2020/03/01/ttc-fares-go-up-sunday/

There was no clarification needed. It's been the same way since the 2 hour transfer was introduced. Did you have the same concerns using a paper transfer? Probably not, so why freak out over Presto transfer? One clueless guy overreacts on Twitter and all the sheep follow ?

2 hours ago, smallspy said:

Dan

Nfitz is right that you'll need data/wifi which they can't expect everyone to have and can't on the subway.

Checking the balance only shows the recent 3 transactions on the card, if you went hopping on and off, you can't see the initial time you paid with the card.

1 hour ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Checking the balance only shows the recent 3 transactions on the card, if you went hopping on and off, you can't see the initial time you paid with the card.

Yes, good point. Most of my trips have at least 2 legs. I've I've made a second trip, then the original tap won't even show up using the app, when I check on the second leg of my return trip!

Given the card seems to have the data on it to tell how many minutes are left - it's odd that the app doesn't report this.

Though probably moot now that TTC has confirmed that there's no need to retap at 2-hours, if you tapped on the vehicle you were on, just before the 2-hour mark.

2 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

There was no clarification needed. It's been the same way since the 2 hour transfer was introduced. Did you have the same concerns using a paper transfer? Probably not, so why freak out over Presto transfer? One clueless guy overreacts on Twitter and all the sheep follow ?

Well that original reply was from official TTC so how the hell would I know if they unofficially changed it and told their ticket enforcement people to do that. That was my being proactive instead of being reactive to the now deemed incorrect reply by the TTC themselves.

The original paper transfer didn't have the same rule as the Presto card. It didn't even allow the 2h transfer of unlimited travel.

And clearly TTC knew their reply had inaccurate information hence they posted another reply so fast and it went over the news this  morning so everyone sees it.

1 hour ago, Orion V said:

Well that original reply was from official TTC so how the hell would I know if they unofficially changed it and told their ticket enforcement people to do that. That was my being proactive instead of being reactive to the now deemed incorrect reply by the TTC themselves.

The original paper transfer didn't have the same rule as the Presto card. It didn't even allow the 2h transfer of unlimited travel.

And clearly TTC knew their reply had inaccurate information hence they posted another reply so fast and it went over the news this  morning so everyone sees it.

Clueless people made this an issue that had to be cleared up. Everyone else seems to understand how it works. 

11 minutes ago, Someguy3071 said:

Clueless people made this an issue that had to be cleared up. Everyone else seems to understand how it works. 

TTC Helps literally tweeted to multiple people yesterday that the 2 hour rule only entitles you to two hours of service, and after 2 hours you were expected to exit the vehicle and retap. The tweets have since been removed with the clarification.

I can understand why everyone was suddenly up in arms.

Found some screencaps/tweets that led to the confusion:

https://twitter.com/TTChelps/status/1233916147105509376

• Like 2