Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

23 hours ago, Shaun said:

Does it make a different noise than senior discounts? So then it should be easy to identify if it's fraud or not. 

Doesnt matter anyway, the operators don't confront anyone anymore about fare. people's cards buzz with no money and they just let them all on. just like when they sneak in on the back doors on regular bus routes (non rear boarding).

2 hours ago, Streety McCarface said:

But that should be enough (except for the student/Child one), since if you're an adult, you don't get any reduced fare whatsoever. 

BUT - Employees, post sec students (who I believe also activate the concession beep and yellow light), and seniors which look good for their age can look like "adults"

6 minutes ago, 63 Ossington said:

BUT - Employees, post sec students (who I believe also activate the concession beep and yellow light), and seniors which look good for their age can look like "adults"

Yes, Post-secondary students paying full adult fare would use the concession beep. They could appear as fare evaders as there is no differences between them and a child card.

5 hours ago, Streety McCarface said:

... since if you're an adult, you don't get any reduced fare whatsoever. 

There's no age limits on post-secondary students. And there's also the discounted adult fare for those receiving Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP), Ontario  Works (OW) assistance or a Toronto Child Care Fee Subsidy.

Lots of valid reasons an adult's card would have the concession beep. One one occasion recently I accidentally tapped the Senior's card I forgot was carrying! As the other card in my wallet - the one I'd meant to tap - had a pass loaded, the only person I was cheating was myself!

On 2/11/2020 at 1:30 PM, Young said:

Does anyone know about a new type of bus shelter at Jane and Eglinton? apparently they have automatic doors 

To drag up a (slightly old) topic, here are some pictures of the shelters under construction.

DSC_3081.thumb.jpg.54e2992ae2e9f6201fca2b6a5bfb7169.jpg

Above picture is the shelter on the southwest corner, presumably to be utilized by southbound Jane buses (and possibly those eastbound on Eglinton).

DSC_3083.thumb.jpg.a6f0b4f28637ae3b4f1e427723b77b6f.jpg

Second picture is the shelter on the northeast corner. The northbound stop will presumably move from its current south side location to the north.

2 hours ago, MK78 said:

Here's hoping these shelters won't be a space abused by the vagrants and hooligans smell like pi$$ and vinegar.

We all can hope but we know that they will eventually, these will probably turn into a house for someone because they meet the ground and are sealed well, does anyone know if they are heated?

1 hour ago, TTC Guy said:

We all can hope but we know that they will eventually, these will probably turn into a house for someone because they meet the ground and are sealed well, does anyone know if they are heated?

So it's better if the homeless stay on the sidewalk where we can step over them?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TTC Guy said:

I hope they heating would only be temporary upon pressing a button to activate. No point of heating an empty shelter or for people to sleep in.

39 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

So it's better if the homeless stay on the sidewalk where we can step over them?

No, but these aren't for the homeless or junkies.

Hopefully most of these are away from such areas that they would be abused.

8 hours ago, raptorjays said:

I am wondering why there’s no next train screen on the westbound platform at Islington Station. 
i know it is a station before the terminus station.. but the other terminus stations all have that screen at the both side of the platform

I would think cost in conjunction of low usage. They did take a long time to install Lawrence, York Mills and Sheppard cause of cost. Then there's the SRT...

With the TTC fare increase coming. The difference between cash and a presto ticket is going to be 5 cents.

It might be wise for occasional riders to just buy presto tickets as:

you'll always know how much you're paying
know when your 2 hour transfer expires as you'll be denied a tap
no reloading issues
shouldn't work if readers glitch to Miway/YRT fare
unless you ride over 120 times, tickets are cheaper than a card

I noticed today after not riding the TTC for about a month that they've gotten really aggressive with the anti fare evasion campaign. 

Are there any plans to change the current status quo, where fare inspectors have no power to detain riders, and the money collected from fines doesn't even go to the TTC? If not, this whole racket seems like a tremendous waste of money. What is the TTC gaining by paying millions every year to fare inspectors who issue fines that the city collects? Is this actually a deterrent to anyone? Those who already pay aren't going to change, and those who don't... well I highly doubt a bunch of vaguely threatening words on a poster and inspectors who can't do much more than politely ask for your information are going to do much to change their behaviour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PCC Guy said:

I noticed today after not riding the TTC for about a month that they've gotten really aggressive with the anti fare evasion campaign. 

Are there any plans to change the current status quo, where fare inspectors have no power to detain riders, and the money collected from fines doesn't even go to the TTC? If not, this whole racket seems like a tremendous waste of money. What is the TTC gaining by paying millions every year to fare inspectors who issue fines that the city collects? Is this actually a deterrent to anyone? Those who already pay aren't going to change, and those who don't... well I highly doubt a bunch of vaguely threatening words on a poster and inspectors who can't do much more than politely ask for your information are going to do much to change their behaviour.

Applying your reasoning to Toronto Police, should they stop issuing tickets as well?

3 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

Applying your reasoning to Toronto Police, should they stop issuing tickets as well?

I don't see this as an equivalent argument, because A] the police have powers fare inspectors don't, and B] the action of issuing a ticket comes at no additional cost to the Police force. Tax money pays for the officers, and they perform their duties as required, which might include issuing tickets. The TTC has this whole other thing called running a cash strapped transit system to worry about.

Is the TTC getting extra money to employ fare inspectors, or does that money come out of their pre-existing budget? Because this article heavily implies that it's the latter.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2019/01/23/ttc-plans-to-hire-dozens-of-fare-inspectors-to-deter-people-from-skipping-out-on-paying.html

They seem to hope that enough people will be scared into paying their fare and offsetting the cost of the inspectors, but how's that going to happen when the fare inspectors can't do anything beyond hope that the person they're approaching will tattle on themselves? Is the TTC really that naive? Again, given how cash strapped the system is, is this really the best use of limited funds?

“The more inspectors we have, the more likely it is you’ll get caught and the more likely you are to pay a proper fare,” said agency spokesperson Stuart Green.

The estimated cost of the additional inspectors and enforcement officers, plus three new administrative and supervisory staff, is $4.5 million, according to the TTC.

Green said that cost is expected to be offset by additional fare revenue that increased enforcement activity would generate, adding ticket fines don’t directly benefit the transit agency because the money goes to the city, not the TTC.

• Like 1