Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

On 1/10/2020 at 9:22 PM, Shaun said:

Wasn't the plan the same for Sheppard west station? That's why they build the connecting track directly to the yard but it was causing trains to be backed up. So now they leave the trains in service to Vaughan instead. 

So how can we avoid the same situation?

The original plan - back when Downsview was originally constructed in the mid-1990s - was to build a pocket track to the north of the station to allow them to turn back trains there. But when the time came to build the TYSSE, it was found that they were going to have to demolish the last 50 or 75 feet of the original structure built with the station. This also shortens the amount of space for the pocket track to the point where it is no longer feasible to build it there.

(Which is fine, as the TTC wants to build a new one north of Wilson anyways.)

The yard access from Sheppard West to the north build-up has nothing to do with any of this.

Dan

On 1/10/2020 at 10:54 AM, Turtle said:

The trip from Sheppard to Finch hasn't taken 3 minutes since North York Centre opened.

I timed it this morning, southbound trip from Finch (doors close) to Sheppard (doors open) - it took 3.5 minutes. 

On 1/10/2020 at 10:54 AM, Turtle said:

1 hour ago, Cityflyer said:

From the cptdb wiki on the 1500s, I counted 61 active units. Are these all being retired this year or will they retain 50 of them since there is a comment about 50 being repainted / rebuilt?

I believe they will retire this batch of buses this year because they only received body repair and a repaint having retained their rear doors in the refurbishment. Also, some of the repainted units have already been scrapped from Malvern along with units that were given vision from the 1500s

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

From the cptdb wiki on the 1500s, I counted 61 active units. Are these all being retired this year or will they retain 50 of them since there is a comment about 50 being repainted / rebuilt?

The 2019 fleet plan calls for 280 of them to be retired between 2018/19. That leaves around 40ish (320 total between 1500s+1700s). Not all Novas have entered service so further NGs will retire. They didn't buy more buses to replace all 1500s so unless they decided to run less buses than planned a year ago, some should survive this year.

5 minutes ago, Tramguy said:

Transee at 5 PM today, Monday showed a bus on Queen numbered 4600.  Am I missing something here?

You mean that's not the new streetcar? Nextbus data shows it does not have VISION.

3 hours ago, Tramguy said:

Transee at 5 PM today, Monday showed a bus on Queen numbered 4600.  Am I missing something here?

By default, Transee assumes that TTC vehicles are buses ... I guess no one has told it that the brand-new 4600 range are streetcars.

Do the aux heaters for the hybrid LFS's blow tons of black smoke on startup? I have noticed this on more than one occasion, where the Hybrid LFS was spewing black smoke while parked, but it's not from the engine exhaust, it comes from down below on the drivers side. 

5 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

The 2019 fleet plan calls for 280 of them to be retired between 2018/19. That leaves around 40ish (320 total between 1500s+1700s). Not all Novas have entered service so further NGs will retire. They didn't buy more buses to replace all 1500s so unless they decided to run less buses than planned a year ago, some should survive this year.

Remember Queensway has a lot of buses right now as the 79xx receive VISION. Once all of the 79xx have VISION that should push at the most 40-50 units out of Queensway and those units could go to Wilson and then 25 of Wilson's NG HEVs could go to Malvern and 25 to Mount Dennis and that should retire the remaining 1500/1600s. I don't think that they are going to survive past spring. That's just my observation.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Shaun said:

Do the aux heaters for the hybrid LFS's blow tons of black smoke on startup? I have noticed this on more than one occasion, where the Hybrid LFS was spewing black smoke while parked, but it's not from the engine exhaust, it comes from down below on the drivers side. 

They do sometimes. 

20 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

I believe they will retire this batch of buses this year because they only received body repair and a repaint having retained their rear doors in the refurbishment. Also, some of the repainted units have already been scrapped from Malvern along with units that were given vision from the 1500s

When Line 1 got extended and TTC pulled back all of its north of Steeles routes in the west end, didn't they free up some buses or was that a minimal amount? Surplus buses there.

16 hours ago, Shaun said:

If I'm not mistaken, that's likely the Webasto heater starting up. If you look closely, there's a little tailpipe down there. 

5 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

When Line 1 got extended and TTC pulled back all of its north of Steeles routes in the west end, didn't they free up some buses or was that a minimal amount? Surplus buses there.

It did. Around 40 of them were freed up and substantially reallocated to the new express routes in fall 2018. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

They do smoke sometimes and I've had it happen a few times while driving a Nova hybrid, but as Bus_Medic said if they're working right they don't smoke. 

It's a glorified oil furnace burner.  It'll smoke if it's out of adjustment.  Pick up a copy of the Audel's Oil Burner guidebook if you want to know more.  I got one at a vintage store when I bought my house which had oil heat.  It was worth the king's ransom of $1.50 that I paid for it back in 2013.

2 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

It's a glorified oil furnace burner.  It'll smoke if it's out of adjustment.  Pick up a copy of the Audel's Oil Burner guidebook if you want to know more.  I got one at a vintage store when I bought my house which had oil heat.  It was worth the king's ransom of $1.50 that I paid for it back in 2013.

I think buying a coffee would be better use of my money. 

2 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

The fuel mixture is too rich?