Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

2 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

Like the above user said, they can't be tracked on transee.  The reason they can't be tracked because they don't have a trump unit or a vision system.  Having said that the fishbowl cannot be tracked either. 

But the fishbowls have/had trump units... So why can they not be tracked? 

Also why do flexity streetcars still have tump units? I thought that the system that supports it was going to be taken offline. 

4 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Also why do flexity streetcars still have tump units? I thought that the system that supports it was going to be taken offline. 

2252 has a trump unit just for show. Why would they use that old hardware anyway? They are getting rid of trump units, so no point.

7 hours ago, John Oke said:

Merry Christmas

I got the magnets tile patterns of all the Subway stations from the Spacing Store they gave me two Bessarions and no Leslie so I’ll have to swap one for it

image.jpg

Merry Christmas to you too.  The subway map’s nice even with the duplicated Bessarions but what really brought back memories was the Hardy Boys books on the shelf below.  I used to love unwrapping those on Christmas morning and my collection was a similar mix of old and new cover styles too. 

5 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Even the PCCs and some trolleybuses had Trump units near the end.  The issue surrounds the telecommunications back end and Bell withdrawing service among a few other things which all amounted to strong arming the TTC to Dump Trump (some of my friends south of the border are jealous they can’t do the same).

• Haha 7

On 12/25/2019 at 4:59 PM, leylandvictory2 said:

Like the above user said, they can't be tracked on transee.  The reason they can't be tracked because they don't have a trump unit or a vision system.  Having said that the fishbowl cannot be tracked either. 

Are the front and side destination signs on the TR's operated by different systems? 

Some trains where showing "finch west" going north and southbound but the side destination sign says to Vaughan. 

Are the front and side destination signs on the TR's operated by different systems? 

Some trains where showing "finch west" going north and southbound but the side destination sign says to Vaughan. 

15 hours ago, Shaun said:

I believe it is separate. On the T1s it is seperate, since I was once on a T1, the side signs were working until Pape, but when the operator touched something at Pape, the side signs turned off.

16 hours ago, Shaun said:

Yes, they are two different and discrete systems. The TTC asked Bombardier about integrating the two, but Bombardier either said "no" or gave them a go-away price - and so they will stay discrete.

47 minutes ago, 7749 said:

I believe it is separate. On the T1s it is seperate, since I was once on a T1, the side signs were working until Pape, but when the operator touched something at Pape, the side signs turned off.

The TTC asked the same of Bombardier for the T1s, and got the same response.

Dan

• Like 3

1 hour ago, smallspy said:

The TTC asked Bombardier about integrating the two, but Bombardier either said "no" or gave them a go-away price - and so they will stay discrete.

When I have a client sole-sourcing work that keeps many employed, I bend over backwards to do sensible things, even if I can't bill all the work.

12 hours ago, 7749 said:

Also the fact that the front destination signs on the T1s are rollsigns, so it makes sense that they're independent from the side LED signs.

On 12/28/2019 at 1:19 PM, nfitz said:

When I have a client sole-sourcing work that keeps many employed, I bend over backwards to do sensible things, even if I can't bill all the work.

You're assuming that (a) that the work in question would have kept many employed (it probably wouldn't), and (b) that the work was going to be worth the trouble.

In fairness, there is a third option that I should have also mentionned - that Bombardier gave them a "reasonable" price and that the TTC said "crap, we don't have the budget for that". ("Reasonable" in quotes because what is reasonable to some may not be reasonable to others.)

On 12/28/2019 at 11:08 PM, 81-717 said:

Also the fact that the front destination signs on the T1s are rollsigns, so it makes sense that they're independent from the side LED signs.

That isn't a big deal. There are ways of automating it, or even converting them to digital signs.

Dan

• Like 1

4 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

I thought the blinking red lights are indication that the trains are running in manual mode.

That's one of numerous things that can trigger the blinking. All the blinking means is that one of the onboard systems is running in a degraded mode.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 8:17 AM, wowzhao said:

Ottawa had a lot of problems with the Presto machines not working when we first implemented them in 2012(?) and 13, I still run into broken ones fairly frequently but it's apparently not enough of an issue anymore that OC Transpo hasn't complained about it publicly in years. Presto in Ottawa also had things from the start like charging extra fares for premium express services (and then charging the regular fare once those express buses crossed into the regular fare zone) which is why I'm honestly confused about why it's taken so long for them to figure it out for the TTC Downtown Express buses.

Do any of you know how Presto fare collection works on the Downtown Express buses now that the extra fare is built in to one's tap? Are there special buses used on those routes with Presto devices programmed for it? Does the Presto system on the bus use GPS to determine where the bus is to know to charge premium fares? (could be risky in areas where non-premium routes run) Is the Presto system on the bus set up before it leaves the garage? Something else?

17 hours ago, Orion 1200 said:

Do any of you know how Presto fare collection works on the Downtown Express buses now that the extra fare is built in to one's tap? Are there special buses used on those routes with Presto devices programmed for it? Does the Presto system on the bus use GPS to determine where the bus is to know to charge premium fares? (could be risky in areas where non-premium routes run) Is the Presto system on the bus set up before it leaves the garage? Something else?

It's just a guess, but perhaps it's somehow integrated with VISION, to let the Presto reader know to transmit a different "fare marker" to the Presto system, based on the bus being signed into a Downtown Express route.

I just can't see it being GPS based, because the system is still extremely unreliable, anyone looking thru their Presto logs can see their taps sometimes are a LONG way off from where they actually tapped.

17 hours ago, Orion 1200 said:

I was on the 905 Eglinton East from UTSC to Kennedy on New Years Day which was running on 10 minute headway mid afternoon with maybe 8-10 people on board. How that makes economic sense (which is fine by me given I was using it!) but we can’t bear the cost of running the 14x routes on a standard fare 5 days a week at peak and eliminate this premium administration/hassle eludes the hell out of me.

19 minutes ago, MK78 said:

It's just a guess, but perhaps it's somehow integrated with VISION, to let the Presto reader know to transmit a different "fare marker" to the Presto system, based on the bus being signed into a Downtown Express route.

I just can't see it being GPS based, because the system is still extremely unreliable, anyone looking thru their Presto logs can see their taps sometimes are a LONG way off from where they actually tapped.

Presto does use feeds from VISION and the GPS for the cross-border services. If you watch the readers, they will momentarily flip to red and read "NOT IN SERVICE" as the vehicles cross Steeles Ave. and reset the machines to use the appropriate fare rules - but only on the buses that are signed in to do those appropriate routes. (For instance, a 68A crossing Steeles will not have its readers flip from TTC to YRT, but a 68B will.)

They wouldn't use GPS to source the Premium Express route codes, but they will pull in the sign-in codes from each driver as they sign-in to VISION. I haven't actually ridden any Premium Express buses with Presto yet, but I suspect that in the lower left-hand corner of the screen on the reader there will be a code the indicates that it is in Premium Express mode.

Dan

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, smallspy said:

Presto does use feeds from VISION and the GPS for the cross-border services. If you watch the readers, they will momentarily flip to red and read "NOT IN SERVICE" as the vehicles cross Steeles Ave. and reset the machines to use the appropriate fare rules - but only on the buses that are signed in to do those appropriate routes. (For instance, a 68A crossing Steeles will not have its readers flip from TTC to YRT, but a 68B will.)

They wouldn't use GPS to source the Premium Express route codes, but they will pull in the sign-in codes from each driver as they sign-in to VISION. I haven't actually ridden any Premium Express buses with Presto yet, but I suspect that in the lower left-hand corner of the screen on the reader there will be a code the indicates that it is in Premium Express mode.

Thanks, I can see how GPS based could work with crossing into other agency's border. But I wonder if people who do cross on a regular basis are victims of the GPS inaccuracies. Within the city it doesn't matter if the GPS is wrong, the fare is still the same.

3 hours ago, MK78 said:

Thanks, I can see how GPS based could work with crossing into other agency's border. But I wonder if people who do cross on a regular basis are victims of the GPS inaccuracies. Within the city it doesn't matter if the GPS is wrong, the fare is still the same.

The traditional issues with GPS inaccuracies for taps have no bearing here - the readers themselves change the rules that are applied to them. It won't matter what the GPS tells the system where you are, as the reader will tell the system whether you are in the YRT, MT or TTC fare zone and charge the appropriate fare and issue the appropriate transfer.

Could issues with the GPS unit itself result in problems? Sure. But I have yet to see that happen yet.

Dan

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, smallspy said:

The traditional issues with GPS inaccuracies for taps have no bearing here - the readers themselves change the rules that are applied to them. It won't matter what the GPS tells the system where you are, as the reader will tell the system whether you are in the YRT, MT or TTC fare zone and charge the appropriate fare and issue the appropriate transfer.

Could issues with the GPS unit itself result in problems? Sure. But I have yet to see that happen yet.

Good to know, if I ever find myself crossing a fare zone. Thanks.