Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

29 minutes ago, Downsview 108 said:

They're trying that shit again? Playing classical music to scare away unruly teenagers? ?

I got into classical when I was 19....must’ve been some Piano Concerto.

Thing is, and this is subjective for me at least; you can’t not like classical. It’s just cool. Imagine a packed bus and classical music is playing overhead...that would diffuse the situation in my view. 

In my defence if this makes no sense I’m tired as hell and studying, so forgive me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

I got into classical when I was 19....must’ve been some Piano Concerto.

Thing is, and this is subjective for me at least; you can’t not like classical. It’s just cool. Imagine a packed bus and classical music is playing overhead...that would diffuse the situation in my view. 

In my defence if this makes no sense I’m tired as hell and studying, so forgive me.

Agreed. When they came up with that absurd plan about twenty years ago, I actually hung around the station longer because I was raised on classical music. ?

"Hmmmm listen to Beethoven 5th symphony third movement or catch this GM in the old colours. Agonizing choice"

????

I would love to listen to some chamber music on a bus.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Downsview 108 said:

Agreed. When they came up with that absurd plan about twenty years ago, I actually hung around the station longer because I was raised on classical music. ?

"Hmmmm listen to Beethoven 5th symphony third movement or catch this GM in the old colours. Agonizing choice"

????

I would love to listen to some chamber music on a bus.

No thanks. I don't want to be driving that bus listening to classical all day long. 

• Haha 7

45 minutes ago, Someguy3071 said:

No thanks. I don't want to be driving that bus listening to classical all day long. 

Would it be better or worse than listening to the same announcements repeat themselves each trip up and down the line?

At least it isn't the possibility of Christmas music being discussed here.  I honestly feel sorry for retail employees right now.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

At least it isn't the possibility of Christmas music being discussed here.  I honestly feel sorry for retail employees right now.

Three winters of it at a dealership, where they were too lazy to take it off til March. Safe to say Christmas music is not to my liking. 

1 hour ago, Someguy3071 said:

Heavy metal guy. Knew it. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Would it be better or worse than listening to the same announcements repeat themselves each trip up and down the line?

Announcement are not that noticeable and are pretty brief. If something was playing non stop that would be very annoying. Buses are loud enough as it is. Don't need any more ambient noise around. 

I find announcement on subway and go trains to be long and annoying. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

Are ops allowed to play music over bluetooth speakers?

I doubt it.  With how draconian the TTC is on their staff, I really can’t see this being permitted.

The idea though does remind me of an older streetcar driver who’s probably retired now.  Years and years ago, he would sit a small battery powered boom box on the sill beneath the side window next to the operators seat on the CLRVs and have the radio playing quietly.  I can’t imagine that was allowed either.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Downsview 108 said:

Speaking of announcements whatever happened to the "99 Kennedy, 99 Kennedy, 99 Kennedy please call" and the "299 St. George, 299 St. George, 299 St. George please call"?

Maybe they gave more people Tetra radios, and they are able to communicate more effectively. But you're right, I haven't heard those announcements for a while.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 8:56 AM, MK78 said:

Maybe they gave more people Tetra radios, and they are able to communicate more effectively. But you're right, I haven't heard those announcements for a while.

All Janitors now have radios, so there is no need to call them over the PA anymore.  Mechanics, supervisors always had them

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 12/13/2019 at 12:55 PM, BusDude said:

All Janitors now have radios, so there is no need to call them over the PA anymore.  Mechanics, supervisors always had them

Well I just heard a 506 Yorkdale on the subway platform so I guess they still use it if they don’t answer their radio.

• Like 1

Just a thing to ask once more. When did Birchmount began operating the 34 EGLINTON EAST when the route began extending to Guildwood in 1964? IIRC, I think Old Eglinton began operating the route in its inception in 1957. Before Comstock opened, the 34 was split with Birchmount and Old Eglinton except Birchmount ran the route east of Kennedy Stn to Morningside.

Most diesel Novas I've seen are sitting around 50L/100km. I'm sure if I was driving a diesel one last night I could probably get it into low 40's. In a Nova artic best I've done in service is 61.1L/100km. 

As for Orion hybrids I couldn't even tell you what the fuel consumption is. Someone knows but it's not me. 

1 hour ago, Someguy3071 said:

Most diesel Novas I've seen are sitting around 50L/100km. I'm sure if I was driving a diesel one last night I could probably get it into low 40's. In a Nova artic best I've done in service is 61.1L/100km. 

As for Orion hybrids I couldn't even tell you what the fuel consumption is. Someone knows but it's not me. 

Thanks.

Is it cause the Orions don't show the consumption on the hud?

2 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

I wonder what the TTC's general opinion is on the fuel efficiency on the Nova Hybrids vs the Orion Hybrids, which I know they weren't happy with, both reliability & fuel efficiency wise.

They are still relatively new to the fleet, so long term reliability is still in the air, but they should have a better idea on the fuel efficiency one vs the other. I don't remember if it was mentioned during any of the board meetings, I usually watch those on youtube.

3 minutes ago, Shaun said:

In the CEO's report it indicated that they are more reliable than expected, and that they are happy with the performance.

Cool! I missed that buried on Page 15 - here's what they said:

"These latest generation hybrids are performing above our reliability targets. Staff has measured the vehicles to be consuming roughly 25 per cent less fuel than the most advanced clean diesel buses in our fleet. This reduction in fuel consumption produces 30 per cent fewer greenhouse gas emissions. The fuel savings for a hybrid bus is estimated at $10,000 per bus per year as compared to a clean diesel bus (or about $2.5 million annually)."

How long does a bus last now? 12 years? $120,000 savings. I bet the cost is more than that.

It will be interesting to see how the all-electrics do ...

• Thanks 1