Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

18 hours ago, Express Network said:

Steve Munro has analyzed the 70 O’CONNOR bus route and is classified the worst in the system.

https://stevemunro.ca/2019/11/20/analysis-of-route-70-oconnor-for-october-2019/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/70-oconnor-bus-issues-1.5366918

Perhaps the TTC should look into restructuring the 70 and other routes close by? Why not merge the 70A/B and 8 into one route and 70C be its own route?

Are you proposing to send Eglinton-O'Connor traffic to Broadview? *If* a route was to be connected to the 8 I would maybe make it 70C (Warden) but why sever a direct connection between East General and Crosstown?

What I do think should be considered is rerouting 404 Community bus further along Mortimer and into Greenwood as soon as it gets elevators. It would give (limited) transit on Greenwood between Mortimer and Danforth, which is too narrow for a standard bus (and Greenwood station is also too small to host another 40 foot route). The Coxwell loop can get quite congested to the point where buses occasionally have to unload or loiter on Strathmore, and if Crosstown demands an uptick in daytime frequency on 70 could get even more so.

I apologize if this has been asked before but my memories are not helping.

Is 4401 going to have the frame weld issue fixed since it will be heavily rebuilt to TTC standards after 4603 is finished instead of delivering to the TTC only to be sent back for the frame weld fix?

Are 4471/4478 affected with the frame weld issue because iirc, only 67 units were affected which means 4400-4466 only?

1 minute ago, Cityflyer said:

s 4401 going to have the frame weld issue fixed since it will be heavily rebuilt to TTC standards after 4603 is finished instead of delivering to the TTC only to be sent back for the frame weld fix?

How would it make sense to rebuild the car to production spec only to then send it back again for frame welding?

1 hour ago, Cityflyer said:

I apologize if this has been asked before but my memories are not helping.

Is 4401 going to have the frame weld issue fixed since it will be heavily rebuilt to TTC standards after 4603 is finished instead of delivering to the TTC only to be sent back for the frame weld fix?

Are 4471/4478 affected with the frame weld issue because iirc, only 67 units were affected which means 4400-4466 only?

4471 & 78 got stuck in flood water when half of the city was flooded

4 hours ago, splendidwizardplayer said:

4471 & 78 got stuck in flood water when half of the city was flooded

Yes I know that. That wasn't my question.
Were the 67 frame weld units in ascending order? Perhaps I should've asked that to clarify. If so then 4471/4478 have nothing to do with this.

I was reading about the possibility that 511 has to be bustituded until the expansion streetcar order is delivered (which still hasn't been approved) as they have to give 505 the Flexity priority over 511 once 505 is ready to take them in the Spring of 2020. This led me to think since there are a lot of complains about the long wait times and bunching of route 41 (Steve Munro even did an article on this), what is the feasibility of taking artics off this route, restore 40ft bus frequencies and then dumping those artics onto 511 after 505 gets Flexities? This way the artics can utilize all 3 doors for 511's POP service and they don't need that many buses on the route. A win win situation?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Cityflyer said:

Yes I know that. That wasn't my question.
Were the 67 frame weld units in ascending order? Perhaps I should've asked that to clarify. If so then 4471/4478 have nothing to do with this.

I was reading about the possibility that 511 has to be bustituded until the expansion streetcar order is delivered (which still hasn't been approved) as they have to give 505 the Flexity priority over 511 once 505 is ready to take them in the Spring of 2020. This led me to think since there are a lot of complains about the long wait times and bunching of route 41 (Steve Munro even did an article on this), what is the feasibility of taking artics off this route, restore 40ft bus frequencies and then dumping those artics onto 511 after 505 gets Flexities? This way the artics can utilize all 3 doors for 511's POP service and they don't need that many buses on the route. A win win situation?

I think that is a good idea but I’m concerned because they haven’t done this before and I would think that there would be a good reason for it. I think that there would be turning problems and Exhibition Loop. Does anyone else want to chime in with there opinion. 

3 minutes ago, TTC Guy said:

I think that is a good idea but I’m concerned because they haven’t done this before and I would think that there would be a good reason for it. I think that there would be turning problems and Exhibition Loop. Does anyone else want to chime in with there opinion. 

I think that buses will not have problems b/c 511 buses have got thru the loop before.

On 11/21/2019 at 3:04 PM, Express Network said:

Steve Munro has analyzed the 70 O’CONNOR bus route and is classified the worst in the system.

https://stevemunro.ca/2019/11/20/analysis-of-route-70-oconnor-for-october-2019/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/70-oconnor-bus-issues-1.5366918

Perhaps the TTC should look into restructuring the 70 and other routes close by? Why not merge the 70A/B and 8 into one route and 70C be its own route?

The articles are about TTC line management and the inability of maintaining a proper headway. The only suggestion that's valid is splitting the 70A/B and 70C into their own route to reduce confusion. Clearly it's signs that no one cares. They care more about making sure that ops get to their relief point on time than to actually deliver the service. The solution is to get someone on to actually do their supervising work, write up ops that intends to tailgate buses instead of delivering proper service, increase the number of RAD buses and have them sign onto the route for analysis/tracking purposes and have a discussion at service planning level to find ways to actually deliver the service.

Splitting would solve nothing. People taking the 70A/B would actually like to get to the subway faster and would not like to take a detour to Broadview. The 8 only exist to fill in service along O'Connor with majority rather walking to Cosburn for much better service on the 87. That's rather a fanboy proposal that would piss off the current riders even more while bringing even worse service.

1) Anyone know if you can still purchase the day pass (legacy version where you can use 2 adults on weekends) at Shopper's Drug Mart after TTC stops selling them on Nov 30?
2) Can the Presto Day Passes be used for 2 adults on weekends if you go in through a station attendant or bus driver instead of beeping them at Presto gates?

2 hours ago, Orion V said:

1) Anyone know if you can still purchase the day pass (legacy version where you can use 2 adults on weekends) at Shopper's Drug Mart after TTC stops selling them on Nov 30?
2) Can the Presto Day Passes be used for 2 adults on weekends if you go in through a station attendant or bus driver instead of beeping them at Presto gates?

No, and no.

Stock up now!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, raptorjays said:

I am wondering if there's a targeted deadline for converting all of the TTC bus fleets into a new livery. And do you think how long will it take with current pace

The novas will enter rebuilt around 5-6 years old. I'll expect the 8400s to start in mid 2020 while the 8500s will be rebuilt in 2021-2022. It's a waste to rebuild buses at 3 years of life. 

8 hours ago, BusDude said:

I was on car 5098 last night on line 2 and noticed it had new chimes by the doors.  The flashing orange light is brighter and it also shows "Doors open" when the doors are open.  

it's had it for some time now, i believe it's been months

This is way strange to ask but...

If the 2017-18 86xx-89xx,92xx buses were replacements for the Orion VII 1201 buses along with the 34xx-36xx replacing some of the Orion VII NG HEV 1308B/C and 1329A buses, are any of the 2018 31xx-33xx order replacement buses or expansion buses for the post-TYSSE improvements and Express Network services? 

Just for curiosity sake. No wonder the Orion VII NG Hybrid, VII NG Clean Diesel and VII Clean Diesel orders likely killed off and replaced the 1988-89 D40s, 1991 Vs and the remaining GM New Look buses.