Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

13 minutes ago, Orion VI said:

Quick question, 

If a bus goes to obico, is it ultimately done?

(1738 as an example)

Vision units no. They get rotated out every so often.  1500, 1660, 1661, 1743 and 1744 were there a while back, but then 1661 and 1744 were switched for 1602 and 1738. 

TTC overhead question (by definition since the 1990s, it's streetcar overhead).

Is there a long-term plan to stagger the overhead wires side to side to spread the wear out on the pantograph collectors? Spadina overhead is still straight. However, in sections of Queen West, there is a mix of old style and panto style fixtures, and it almost looks like the old style are pulling the panto fixtures over one way or another. That would make it an easy job to convert to staggered overhead?

I haven't been to St. Clair to see if that route, which is mandatory panto, has been staggered. I suppose a reason for moving slowly on Spadina is that much of that trackage might be used for diversions by pole-using routes.

22 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

TTC overhead question (by definition since the 1990s, it's streetcar overhead).

Unfortunate but true.

22 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

Is there a long-term plan to stagger the overhead wires side to side to spread the wear out on the pantograph collectors? Spadina overhead is still straight. However, in sections of Queen West, there is a mix of old style and panto style fixtures, and it almost looks like the old style are pulling the panto fixtures over one way or another. That would make it an easy job to convert to staggered overhead?

I haven't been to St. Clair to see if that route, which is mandatory panto, has been staggered. I suppose a reason for moving slowly on Spadina is that much of that trackage might be used for diversions by pole-using routes.

Yes, staggering the wire has always been the plans once the pole cars are all gone and once the hardware has all been changed.  Now that you mention it, that's a very good question about St. Clair.  I don't know.  That would be a nice ride and take a look to see some day.

14 minutes ago, John Oke said:

Does anyone know when Pantographs will be the norm on all routes?

When they finally finish converting all of the overhead. Although, they will continue to convert routes one-by-one as more and more sections are completed.

But considering that the finish line of that project has been moved back numerous times, even that guess would be a crapshoot.

Dan

I was surprised to see that they used some of Birchmount's newest Novas yesterday as road blockers for Nuit Blanche. They had a 3100 at Queen and York as well as another LFS in the new paint scheme on Bay near Hagerman. Yonge & Queen and Bay & Richmond were ES Orions. I understand that there were more road blocks needed yesterday (I believe they were needed in Fort York and at Scarborough Civic Centre) but this is the first time I've seen them use new buses for this purpose.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, wil9402 said:

I was surprised to see that they used some of Birchmount's newest Novas yesterday as road blockers for Nuit Blanche. They had a 3100 at Queen and York as well as another LFS in the new paint scheme on Bay near Hagerman. Yonge & Queen and Bay & Richmond were ES Orions. I understand that there were more road blocks needed yesterday (I believe they were needed in Fort York and at Scarborough Civic Centre) but this is the first time I've seen them use new buses for this purpose.

There was a CoT garbage truck on Borough Dr as a road block. So not all are TTC vehicles.

7 hours ago, wil9402 said:

What difference does it make if they used new or old?

7 minutes ago, Someguy3071 said:

What difference does it make if they used new or old?

Well, in case the buses are needed for their intended purpose (to stop vehicles from being intentionally driven through crowds), you'd rather have an 18-year old bus written off with accident damage rather than a 3-year old bus.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wil9402 said:

Maybe they should have used electrics, to show them off?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Articulated said:

Well, in case the buses are needed for their intended purpose (to stop vehicles from being intentionally driven through crowds), you'd rather have an 18-year old bus written off with accident damage rather than a 3-year old bus.

You're overthinking this. 

Presumably the Conservatives would kill that unnecessary boondoggle, when there are much cheaper options!

I doubt it wins them any seats.

To be fair though, the Ontario government has already deferred this years from the planned 2025 opening to be done after the Ontario Line and Yonge extension, which are both supposed to open in 2027 ... so perhaps too early to announce funding.

6 minutes ago, Shemar said:

For those of you that are interested in doing that TTC survey that is posted on their website and you haven't done so already, here is the link to it: https://ttc5yearplan.com/

Here is their Draft 20-Point Action Plan for 2020-2024:

TTC_Graphic02_Rev00+Swerhun+Edits+v5.png

The fun part to read is enhanced streetcar service on 501 and 504 in 2022-2023 and deployment of new streetcars on 511 in 2024.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

The fun part to read is enhanced streetcar service on 501 and 504 in 2022-2023 and deployment of new streetcars on 511 in 2024.

Which means if they follow through with this plan (and we know how quickly the TTC changes their plans), the 511 will go back to bustitution service once all of the CLRVs retire at the end of the year.

• Sad 2