Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

15 hours ago, raptorjays said:

https://stevemunro.ca/2019/08/22/tiff-2019-to-demolish-downtown-transit-service-again/

I’m wondering why this shit is happening again during the tiff. Is it really an UNAVOIDABLE closure?

I don’t understand why they still close the street even though the street was designed to have better streetcar traffic.. and I think that King Street Project is meaningless if they continue with stupid closure..

I've questioned the need for closing King St. too ever since they started doing it and really started to question the planning of the layout of the festival stuff after the one or two years they evicted the farmers' market from the park on the south side of King for not only the duration of the film festival itself but for the setup and removal as well.  At least they divide it up and let the farmers' market happen now in part of the park but that does nothing to mitigate the mess that closing the street causes.

This is TTC’s message about the closure.

“We encourage you to plan your trip in advance. We thank you for your patience during this important event benefitting Toronto’s economy and international reputation as a world-class city.”

Really, unless you absolutely can't avoid going to the area or you're going to the film festival itself, the best advice is to avoid the closed section of King St. and the affected area around it.

World Class city?? Fuck that.. Our fuckin politicians are trying their best to make Toronto ad third world city. 

Successive generations of politicians between Toronto city hall, the provincial government, and to a degree the indifferences towards municipalities from the federal government have all in their own ways ensured that Toronto's the world class of third class.  The film festival is the perfect example of the superficial vanity of the whole situation with the municipal government in the way it plays to the all-sizzle-no-steak, style-over-substance way that Toronto prioritizes things.

World Class city?? Fuck that.. Our fuckin politicians are trying their best to make Toronto ad third world city. 

Not that frivolous closures (which also happen in Europe) have anything to do with making something a world class city or not, but rest assured there is no danger of Toronto being a world class city any time soon, unless everyone starts getting their shit together.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

Really, unless you absolutely can't avoid going to the area or you're going to the film festival itself, the best advice is to avoid the closed section of King St. and the affected area around it.

It's not just King Street downtown that's impacted though. In recent years, it turns the 504 service into an erratic nightmare. So huge service problems and gaps on Roncesvalles and Broadview as well - not to mention points in between!

2 minutes ago, nfitz said:

It's not just King Street downtown that's impacted though. In recent years, it turns the 504 service into an erratic nightmare. So huge service problems and gaps on Roncesvalles and Broadview as well - not to mention points in between!

I know, that's why I mentioned the affected area around it.  The spillover mess is huge.

To put it in perspective, the whole film festival mess has gotten so big and so bad that my elderly parents who live in a condo that's located a bit of distance outside of the immediate film festival area book a vacation every year overlapping the festival and go away for the duration.  After enduring it the first couple of years in their condo, they decided that just don't want to be home while it's going on and I can't say I blame them.  For now it works but I'm not sure what they're going to do when they get a bit older and travel becomes harder.

1 hour ago, Ed T. said:

There was a plain old building on the NE side of Weston Road, across from the St. Phillips Dr. intersection. Did that have something to do with the Weston or possibly Woodbridge streetcars?

In any case, it's been knocked down.

It’s most recent use was as a taxidermist’s shop, but anything more than 18 years ago I don’t know.

2 minutes ago, CLRV4094 said:

I did hear ALRV 4207 will be going into the parade prior to being used for the final runs.

yeah, then go to wollesley loop and back to Russell for a final run on the 501. Read here for the TTC: Car 4204 will depart the Russell Carhouse at 2 p.m. running east to Wolseley Loop and back. A second car, 4207, will participate in the Labour Day Parade along Queen St. and then depart Wolseley Loop at approximately the same time, though road closures and traffic associated with the CNE could impact the exact departure time. The two cars will make return trips between Russell and Wolseley until 5 p.m. The very last run will depart Wolseley at approximately 4:15 p.m., arriving at Russell Carhouse at 5 p.m.

On 8/24/2019 at 12:13 PM, nfitz said:

TTC used to announce those closures like month or two before.. and they did just like a week in advance this year.

I don’t know if the TTC discussed with TIFF officials until last minute and couldn’t find any solutions. 

Here's a lovely, super cluttered map of the TIFF closures:

TIFF-2019.gif

Anyone know if there is a rhyme or reason to this madness? What is preventing them from running the 504A/504B as regular through services, diverting via Spadina - Queen - Church and York - Queen - Spadina? Why do there need to be two 504As, and what is going to be serving the Dufferin Gate loop during the diversions?

image.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Here's a lovely, super cluttered map of the TIFF closures:

TIFF-2019.gif

Anyone know if there is a rhyme or reason to this madness? What is preventing them from running the 504A/504B as regular through services, diverting via Spadina - Queen - Church and York - Queen - Spadina? Why do there need to be two 504As, and what is going to be serving the Dufferin Gate loop during the diversions?

image.png

In years past, all of the service trying to pass through the intersection of Queen and Spadina has caused numerous delays on all of the Queen, King and Spadina routes. It looks like they're trying to at least mitigate this to a small degree by separating the eastern and western King services - delays at Queen and Spadina shouldn't affect the service on King to the east in theory.

Of course, the service on Queen and Spadina, on the other hand....

Dan

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, smallspy said:

In years past, all of the service trying to pass through the intersection of Queen and Spadina has caused numerous delays on all of the Queen, King and Spadina routes. It looks like they're trying to at least mitigate this to a small degree by separating the eastern and western King services - delays at Queen and Spadina shouldn't affect the service on King to the east in theory.

Of course, the service on Queen and Spadina, on the other hand....

Dan

TTC and the city should have negotiated about the closure and need to discuss if there are any alternatives rather than shutting traffic flows including streetcars

14 hours ago, raptorjays said:

TTC and the city should have negotiated about the closure and need to discuss if there are any alternatives rather than shutting traffic flows including streetcars

I don't disagree, and I'm sure that the 70-some-odd-thousand people who take the King car on a daily basis wouldn't either.

But you also need to remember that TIFF injects tens of millions of dollars back into the City through payments for things like street closures, permits, taxes, etc. There does need to be a balance.

Dan

• Like 2

8 hours ago, smallspy said:

I don't disagree, and I'm sure that the 70-some-odd-thousand people who take the King car on a daily basis wouldn't either.

But you also need to remember that TIFF injects tens of millions of dollars back into the City through payments for things like street closures, permits, taxes, etc. There does need to be a balance.

Dan

So basically the TTC is treating riders as dogs and pigs