Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

1 hour ago, Genius101 said:

That's overreacting. 

More so most of your posts consists of you asking the same question over and over again. You don't seem to accept the same, repeated answer given to you as well.

Like @Orion V said:

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results...

And who's overreacting? 

12 hours ago, raptorjays said:

I live in Etobicoke and had to agree with that Question. Except for the presto machine, Queensway has always been the last one to get such upgrades including VISION, and the new liveries. As a matter of fact, there are ZERO vehicles with the new liveries on the Queensway route. 

Eglinton and Birchmount had full of the early version of the Orion Vll and ended up getting new Novas. Even though Birchmount only got like 40 (9200-9239), the new is still new.

i don’t know why the same thing can’t happen to Queensway. 

Where would buses go? Queensway is well over capacity. Just because they haven’t received new buses in nearly 3 decades doesn’t mean it’s the end of the world. Apply for a summer job/apprenticeship with the company, and you’ll get a better understanding of what goes on behind the scenes

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

It may also be interesting to consider for most of those doing the complaining....

As a generality, the reliability of any particular transit vehicle can be graphed using a fairly standard bell curve. A vehicle is at its most reliable not when it first enters service, but rather after a couple of years of use. At that point, all components have broken in, and the maintenance forces are most comfortable with their design. As the vehicle ages and components wear out, reliability starts to drop off.

Perhaps because of the lack of size of the Queensway Division, the Commission is more concerned with having reliable vehicles operating here rather than the newest ones?

Dan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bus_7246 said:

Where would buses go? Queensway is well over capacity. Just because they haven’t received new buses in nearly 3 decades doesn’t mean it’s the end of the world. Apply for a summer job/apprenticeship with the company, and you’ll get a better understanding of what goes on behind the scenes

Not anymore. All employee parking has been removed. Lot's of space now. More buses coming.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, HB_1024 said:

What's the use in even answering questions anymore if people are going to just keep asking them over and over again anyways expecting a "better" response. ?

Some say the definition of insanity is doing such a thing as expecting a different result by say asking the same questions and expecting a different answer 

• Confused 1

I noticed that some novas with electric doors (the ones that are hybrids at least) have alarms going off sometimes whenever the doors open. I assume that these are door alarms. Why do they trigger? Are they false alarms? I rarely hear these on non-electric door novas.

23 minutes ago, nagaBus said:

I noticed that some novas with electric doors (the ones that are hybrids at least) have alarms going off sometimes whenever the doors open. I assume that these are door alarms. Why do they trigger? Are they false alarms? I rarely hear these on non-electric door novas.

These alarms were a common problem on the older Novas when they first entered service. They usually activate when people push too hard on the doors

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nagaBus said:

Are you referring to the one that chirps 5 times? If so, I've noticed this on the original batches sent to Arrow, as well as on Arrow's current Novas.

7 hours ago, TechnicaProductions said:

These alarms were a common problem on the older Novas when they first entered service. They usually activate when people push too hard on the doors

It’s analogous to the “drunk alarm” on the GMs. All the buses have them in some form. It’s supposed to be activated whenever the door leaves are pushed while the lock pawl is engaged, or the sensitive edge is triggered. The current ongoing problem on the late model Novas is trying to dial in the sensitivity correctly. Also, some of the sensitive edges are touching the floor on the bottom, this can set them off over rough roads as the door leaves have some vertical play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Orion VI said:

Does anybody know how long the 32 buses are going to stop at Glencairn station for? I was going to go get some pictures later.

Until the construction at the allen and eglinton ends I would guess.

1 hour ago, leylandvictory2 said:

that's the whole point of alerting the driver of a problem. Same goes with the noise the fire alarm makes.

Except 99% of the time there is no problem and drivers start ignoring the damn thing. Opening the door it goes off. Closing the door it goes off. Hit a bump it goes off. Some buses have it really bad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

Except 99% of the time there is no problem and drivers start ignoring the damn thing. Opening the door it goes off. Closing the door it goes off. Hit a bump it goes off. Some buses have it really bad. 

I’ve noticed this quite a bit at Humber with I assume are all the newer novas out of arrow, that alarm is used so often for such irrelevant things that I’ve just learned not to trust it, even with wave sensor doors (Brampton Transit ) it’s not as frequent but when it goes off it won’t turn off unless I turn off the bus and back on not to mention the dash then says my rear door is non operable yet it’s working just fine 

• Like 2

Recently I was travelling on Eastern Ave near Leslie and for the first time I noticed some old buses parked near a bunch of tractor trailer trucks in a parking lot (South side of eastern ave just west of Leslie). Does anyone know what those buses are for ? I believe I saw an old fishbowl in there and a few others 

38 minutes ago, CLRV4002 said:

Recently I was travelling on Eastern Ave near Leslie and for the first time I noticed some old buses parked near a bunch of tractor trailer trucks in a parking lot (South side of eastern ave just west of Leslie). Does anyone know what those buses are for ? I believe I saw an old fishbowl in there and a few others 

Movie extras

• Thanks 1

I hate to sound like a broken record.  Anyways, I was talking with some friends about planning a visit and a trip out to Kitchener to ride the LRT line there in late June or sometime in July after it opens.  The possibility of doing a side trip into Toronto to catch the Sunday PCC on the harbourfront came up so, for planning purposes, is the Sunday PCC on the harbourfront happening this year?  Or  should I be planning on having the time on the Sunday to do a low and slow smoked rib barbecue at my place instead?

30 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

I hate to sound like a broken record.  Anyways, I was talking with some friends about planning a visit and a trip out to Kitchener to ride the LRT line there in late June or sometime in July after it opens.  The possibility of doing a side trip into Toronto to catch the Sunday PCC on the harbourfront came up so, for planning purposes, is the Sunday PCC on the harbourfront happening this year?  Or  should I be planning on having the time on the Sunday to do a low and slow smoked rib barbecue at my place instead?

It didn't go out last year, could possibly go out this year, highly doubt it though 

7 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

Yes, that's why I'm asking, because I don't know if last year was a one off exception to the rule or the start of a new normal.

Didn't they make up an excuse to why they couldn't operate the PCC? IIRC it was because of the pantograph wires (which I hardly believe that was the case)

55 minutes ago, Kelvin3157 said:

Didn't they make up an excuse to why they couldn't operate the PCC? IIRC it was because of the pantograph wires (which I hardly believe that was the case)

I spotted it out there last year (Chatered) it was turning left onto QQ from Spadina going to the union portal. So that would not be the case