Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

Hello everybody,

First post here and I just recently got my training start date and I had a few questions I hope somebody could answer

Is there any affordable parking options near or at the Hillcrest complex as I will be commuting from the east end?

Any tips on training or something things that I can expect?

Any insight on Wilson division?

If these have been asked before i'm sorry I couldn't find them using the search function

Thank you 

3 minutes ago, CoachK said:

Hello everybody,

First post here and I just recently got my training start date and I had a few questions I hope somebody could answer

Is there any affordable parking options near or at the Hillcrest complex as I will be commuting from the east end?

Any tips on training or something things that I can expect?

Any insight on Wilson division?

If these have been asked before i'm sorry I couldn't find them using the search function

Thank you 

43 pages of info here. 

1 hour ago, Doggosareamazing said:

I just passed by Birchmount Garage and saw a bunch of wheel tran Fords next to piles of concrete rubble. 

(Yes, 7575 and 7808 are still there away from the rubble still in dead lot)

Visible from sidewalk or nah?

17 minutes ago, Downsview 108 said:

Recent talks of a museum? LOL they've been talking about that for years. ? What are they gonna put in there anyway? An old map and an expired transfer?

The OLD bus, 2252, the other fishbowl (if they even do another one), old maps, 2766, 4549, 4500 and probably a ton of other crap. They want a museum for the TTC's 100 birthday.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 7575 said:

The OLD bus, 2252, the other fishbowl (if they even do another one), old maps, 2766, 4549, 4500 and probably a ton of other crap. They want a museum for the TTC's 100 birthday.

They should bring all the stuff from the HCRR. No reason to have to go all the way to Guelph to ride a historic TTC vehicle.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Downsview 108 said:

They should bring all the stuff from the HCRR. No reason to have to go all the way to Guelph to ride a historic TTC vehicle.

I agree. They would need to start prepping if they want it ready for the 100th. It's the TTC, we probably won't see it until 2041. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Downsview 108 said:

Recent talks of a museum? LOL they've been talking about that for years. ? What are they gonna put in there anyway? An old map and an expired transfer?

Have they? I didn't hear any discussion about using the Davenport garage until recently (the last couple of years). I recall discussion in the past of using the old Danforth carhouse, and also some brief discussion of putting one in a new office building on Yonge to replace the Davisville offices.

Were there other discussions? Though I've only been following for the last decade or so ... there's probably many long-forgotten schemes!

I'd assume the old PCCs, and CLRV/ALRVs would be there, along with other old vehicles. Perhaps they can get back the ones they shipped to the museum in Ottawa.I doubt a museum would actually ever happen though.

1 hour ago, Downsview 108 said:

I’ll second that. Start with the subway cars. And keep them. Permanently.

....Actually with ATC active, nevermind. They’d never let them out with people on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

Have they? I didn't hear any discussion about using the Davenport garage until recently (the last couple of years). I recall discussion in the past of using the old Danforth carhouse, and also some brief discussion of putting one in a new office building on Yonge to replace the Davisville offices.

Were there other discussions? Though I've only been following for the last decade or so ... there's probably many long-forgotten schemes!

I'd assume the old PCCs, and CLRV/ALRVs would be there, along with other old vehicles. Perhaps they can get back the ones they shipped to the museum in Ottawa.I doubt a museum would actually ever happen though.

Yeah this has been a discussion for nearly 20 years. I remember they wanted to use Davenport, Danforth and The H.O. I also seem to recall Lansdowne being thrown around but not sure. As far as I know that was supposed to be a police division too.

10 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

I’ll second that. Start with the subway cars. And keep them. Permanently.

....Actually with ATC active, nevermind. They’d never let them out with people on.

Yeah. It's too bad they scrapped the G work cars. They could have if they really wanted (and were willing to invest $$$) a complete train. 5098-99, 5068-69, 5104-05, ???(whatever number the garbage train was). At least the museum pieces will be more secure and have a bit more funding to preserve them. Even the OHRA could continue to contribute. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Downsview 108 said:

The TTC actually has a decent amount of historical artifacts scattered around it's various facilities.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Downsview 108 said:

You realize that the equipment at HCRR is OWNED by HCRR, right?

13 hours ago, nfitz said:

There have been talks, both formal and informal, inside the TTC about a museum.

But, they've been just that, talks. There has been no idea about what form this would take, an opening date, what would be included in such a facility (if it was a facility), where it would be located, etc. Just all rather nebulous discussions about doing something for the 100th birthday of the TTC in 2 and a half years.

So all of this talk on here about facilities - you might as well just end it. There's no point about talking about Davenport or Danforth or anywhere else until the hard decisions are made. What if the museum doesn't have a fixed location? What if it is just meant to be an archive of smaller items and stories?

And the equipment located elsewhere? If it's not owned by the TTC (and none of it is), it's not just a matter of going to them and saying that the TTC wants it back. There's a whole process that needs to be followed, and that process varies from organization to organization. And in a lot of cases, it simply won't happen because those vehicles are needed there.

Dan

Just now, Downsview 108 said:

Well, I wasn't implying the TTC go up there in the middle of the night with a Ford F-250 and a couple chains. 

Obviously an agreement would have to be worked out.

And what would be in the HCRR's interest to do that? They are an operating museum - their "thing" is to draw people up there to see and ride old equipment. If you take the old equipment away, there will be no draw to their facility - and thus their revenues will drop.

For the record, the HCRR and the TTC already regularly talk and help each other out, so it's not like this kind of thing hasn't been talked about already.

Dan

12 minutes ago, smallspy said:

And what would be in the HCRR's interest to do that? They are an operating museum - their "thing" is to draw people up there to see and ride old equipment. If you take the old equipment away, there will be no draw to their facility - and thus their revenues will drop.

For the record, the HCRR and the TTC already regularly talk and help each other out, so it's not like this kind of thing hasn't been talked about already.

Dan

-More money to put towards restorations/operation/maintenance.

-Secured facilities

-Greater accessibility (more customers in Toronto than the boondocks)

-More track to run historic streetcars on

-Can be used by film crews (more $$$)

-Toronto vehicles in...Toronto

-Tourism

-More storage space and room for expansion

-Even more money from OHRA donations.

-If there are volunteers coming from Toronto, saves them a 2hr drive.

-More ice cream stores.

1 hour ago, 63 Ossington said:

People are even reluctant to pay $3.25 to ride a fully functional CLRV.

To be fair, I don't imagine there is much overlap between people who would be interested in visiting a transit museum, and those who are so repulsed by the CLRV that they think stealing from the TTC is an appropriate course of action. The people who look down on the older vehicles we've got probably aren't going to fall over themselves to see one in a museum, either.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PCC Guy said:

To be fair, I don't imagine there is much overlap between people who would be interested in visiting a transit museum, and those who are so repulsed by the CLRV that they think stealing from the TTC is an appropriate course of action. The people who look down on the older vehicles we've got probably aren't going to fall over themselves to see one in a museum, either.

You make a good point.