Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

16 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

MORE DOGS!

01FAD28A-F1C6-49F8-A367-4B66E22E8D6E.thumb.jpeg.e2ad58f87feeb0bd2b8ac915e07d1569.jpeg

Do you just have a file on your computer filled with memes for every occasion?

8 hours ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

I was surprised to see "TORONTO" "THE 6IX" as an actual PR message programmed into the TTC signs.

There's lots of weird signs out there. "Will You Marry Me?" "Just Married" "WELCOME NOVA MEMBERS" are all kinda weird in my opinion.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, 7575 said:

There's lots of weird signs out there. "Will You Marry Me?" "Just Married" "WELCOME NOVA MEMBERS" are all kinda weird in my opinion.

Yeah, this is somewhat of a recent phenomenon though, right? Or were they always there and operators are given permission to use them when not in service?

21 hours ago, Orion V said:

Anyone know the latest update / news for Line 6 construction and Line 2 extension?

I see both are approved but what are they waiting for before putting the shovels in the ground; money? Line 6 has some utility relocations done so far and I'm not sure what started in the Line 2 extension physically.

Transit Toronto reports Line 2 extension has started with Enbridge relocating gas pipes at STC area.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 7969 said:

Why are the Nova Hybrids only operating during peak periods right now? Are they not ready to enter full service yet or something?

They're entering service in larger numbers lately. 17 out right now, and over 30 were out yesterday in the afternoon rush hour.

11 minutes ago, 7969 said:

Why are the Nova Hybrids only operating during peak periods right now? Are they not ready to enter full service yet or something?

Apparently they’re having persistent problems with the flywheel field starting system. I’m being temporarily re assigned to malvern next week while vision is on hold, I’ll find out more then.

3 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

Apparently they’re having persistent problems with the flywheel field starting system. I’m being temporarily re assigned to malvern next week while vision is on hold, I’ll find out more then.

Damn. Big issues this early is really unfortunate. I hope it gets fixed at some point soon so they can operate normally.

4 minutes ago, NoUse4AName said:

The flywheel or flux capacitor?  ?

This happens to be a civic engine, but the idea is the same. There’s an array of coils all around the circumference of the flywheel. These can generate current as the permanent magnets on the flywheel itself rotate past them, or if they’re energized in the right sequence, they’ll spin the flywheel up to idle speed almost instantly.

5D319BF0-5BDB-4AF5-82A7-5BDDB9DC7D37.thumb.jpeg.cdda2f7c529673c2f27d964935d33612.jpeg

At least that’s how it’s supposed to work.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Bus_Medic said:

This happens to be a civic engine, but the idea is the same. There’s an array of coils all around the circumference of the flywheel. These can generate current as the permanent magnets on the flywheel itself rotate past them, or if they’re energized in the right sequence, they’ll spin the flywheel up to idle speed almost instantly.

5D319BF0-5BDB-4AF5-82A7-5BDDB9DC7D37.thumb.jpeg.cdda2f7c529673c2f27d964935d33612.jpeg

At least that’s how it’s supposed to work.

Cool that's interesting 

56 minutes ago, 7969 said:

I wouldn't say they're only out during peak periods. They are out during midday and early evenings on weekdays too.

34 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

Nope, not brakes.

It would probably be unwise to publicly divulge details here at the moment, as it would violate the non disclosure clause in the employment contract we all signed. At some future point it may be okay.

This is a good reminder , especially the way this company is moving, we all need to be careful. I'm sure they have their spies on here too.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, FlyerD901 said:

This is a good reminder , especially the way this company is moving, we all need to be careful. I'm sure they have their spies on here too.

I bet they have a couple of people monitoring sites like this, Facebook, Twitter, a couple of the other large social media venues for complaints, reports about anything that's not on the up and up and to catch wayward employees.  "industrial relations" departments are not fun to contend with in large companies and I don't fault anybody for being careful about their online activity.  Unfortunately a sign of the times we live in.  I guess we've gone from outright thuggery like the Ford 'service department' and the like to quiet NSA style intelligence gathering with a brief period in between where companies were well behaved during the post war period before present day social media snooping.  I miss the late 20th century.

6 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

I bet they have a couple of people monitoring sites like this, Facebook, Twitter, a couple of the other large social media venues for complaints, reports about anything that's not on the up and up and to catch wayward employees.  "industrial relations" departments are not fun to contend with in large companies and I don't fault anybody for being careful about their online activity.  Unfortunately a sign of the times we live in.  I guess we've gone from outright thuggery like the Ford 'service department' and the like to quiet NSA style intelligence gathering with a brief period in between where companies were well behaved during the post war period before present day social media snooping.  I miss the late 20th century.

What is this, North Korea?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/1/2019 at 3:23 PM, Bus_Medic said:

Nope, not brakes.

It would probably be unwise to publicly divulge details here at the moment, as it would violate the non disclosure clause in the employment contract we all signed. At some future point it may be okay.

Therein lies the warning that things can never truly be deleted once it's been cast into the Internet.  Even though @leylandvictory2 had deleted the original post after the above warning, the same warning has ironically been preserved.