Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

6 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

Well, if it makes you feel better, I've been assaulted on the job several times too.  The worst was when some guy who was flying high barged into my work area and threw a computer monitor at my head and punched one of my co-workers in the face so, no, TTC employees don't have a monopoly on being assaulted by the general public.  As for the violin, have you tried the lost and found at Bay station?

So just because you've been assaulted on your job too that means we shouldn't use equipment that's made for our protection? Not good logic. Btw if an operator is assaulted and files a WSIB claim you better believe that they'll be looking into shield use. If you're not using all PPE claim more then likely will be denied. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Someguy3071 said:

So just because you've been assaulted on your job too that means we shouldn't use equipment that's made for our protection? Not good logic.

Speak for yourself.  I never related the two.

2 minutes ago, Someguy3071 said:

Btw if an operator is assaulted and files a WSIB claim you better believe that they'll be looking into shield use. If you're not using all PPE claim more then likely will be denied. 

You know what else happens with WSIB when that takes place?  Have you seen the back of my truck?

8 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

It's distracting and you get a reflection in it from the closed side. Car passing on the left reflects and sometimes I'm like wtf, I'm in the curb lane how is there a car on the open side? But it's just a reflection. 

I see, interesting. Didn't think of glare.

34 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

You know what else happens with WSIB when that takes place?  Have you seen the back of my truck?

Well no one needs to be assaulted and it's unfortunate that it happens. 

As far as your truck get that shit organized. Lol 

1 minute ago, PCC Guy said:

Failing to see all the fuss about drivers boxing themselves away. No one has a problem with them being separated from passengers on the subways or Flexities.

I don't see fuss. Someone asked for reasons why it would be left open. Some reasons were given. Certainly can see why some would want it after previous incidents or at times of day when sketchy. Though more often or not it's not used, at least in my neighbourhood, in daytime.

9 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

Where did I put my tiny violin? Tell that to all the operators who've been assaulted or spit on by our wonderful customers. 

Hey @Someguy3071 I found your violin lol ?

9 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Um you did relate the two read what you posted "Well, if it makes you feel better, I've been assaulted on the job several times too. So no TTC employees don't have a monopoly on being assaulted by the general public"

8 hours ago, nfitz said:

I don't see fuss. Someone asked for reasons why it would be left open. Some reasons were given. Certainly can see why some would want it after previous incidents or at times of day when sketchy. Though more often or not it's not used, at least in my neighbourhood, in daytime.

I don't either, unfortunately, we live in a progressively violent day in age, if your employer gives you the means to protect yourself *which many employers don't* why wouldn't you use it? It's too bad some people see it as the driver isolating themselves from his or her customers but it is what it is, the driver wants to get home at the end of their shift not end up in the ER, 

9 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

So what do you mean? you use your truck as a filing system to store your WSIB claim paperwork?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NoUse4AName said:

I don't either, unfortunately, we live in a progressively violent day in age

Not really. Look at Statistics Canada's article. The graph is particularly interesting.

It's also interesting that, as late as the early 1990s, operators of GM New Looks were instructed to keep the blind behind their seat rolled up during the daytime.

Annotation 2019-02-23 085928.jpg

5 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

Not really. Look at Statistics Canada's article. The graph is particularly interesting.

It's also interesting that, as leate as the early 1990s, operators of GM New Looks were instructed to keep the blind behind their seat rolled up during the daytime.

Annotation 2019-02-23 085928.jpg

Very nice, how transparent do you think these stats really are?

33 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

I'm sure your Instagram feed is much, much more accurate. But I'm not on Instagram, so I couldn't tell you how much more accurate.

I don't have Instagram, Maybe I'm being or seem like I'm paranoid or a conspiracy theorist, But I'm just saying these stats probably don't show the most accurate findings and that's by design. 

1 hour ago, NoUse4AName said:

Very nice, how transparent do you think these stats really are?

Are you really that daft?!?

StatsCan is generally regarded as one of the best statistical organizations on the planet. If you get data from StatsCan for whatever project you're working on, you generally don't need to double-check it.

Dan

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, smallspy said:

Are you really that daft?!?

StatsCan is generally regarded as one of the best statistical organizations on the planet. If you get data from StatsCan for whatever project you're working on, you generally don't need to double-check it.

Dan

I see, Well I guess I should change my name to DaftPunk I suppose 

Yeah. The Nextbus API is coming back with an "Error 15. This request was blocked by the security rules." today for all requests against TTC data. I thought at first they had blocked me for whatever reason (I have a little app that makes not a lot of API calls), but turns out everyone trying to pull up TTC data is running into the same issue.

4 hours ago, MK78 said:

It appears to be working again. 

From what I've seen, it seems to be working sporadically today.

This seemed to not just apply to TTC - I was searching up both TTC and MiWay buses on Transsee, and neither of them were loading predictions. (MiWay would load the scheduled departure time and would even have the correct unit number for the run, but no predictions).

15 minutes ago, Articulated said:

From what I've seen, it seems to be working sporadically today.

This seemed to not just apply to TTC - I was searching up both TTC and MiWay buses on Transsee, and neither of them were loading predictions. (MiWay would load the scheduled departure time and would even have the correct unit number for the run, but no predictions).

It's possible, things like this have happened before on Nextbus. But this is the first time I've seen that only 3rd party apps stopped working, and NextBus own app & site worked. I guess they are having issue with the publicly accessible API like @jameskoole mentioned.

27 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

If you switch between wifi and cell data, you can tell if they blocked your wifi/cell IP or the whole thing isn't working. The likelihood of both IP addresses blocked is low unless you been doing someone you aren't supposed to with both.

I'm 100% sure my little webapp wasn't a problem. I got the same error from my desktop, on a VPN and from the server. And as mentioned above, things seem to be fixed. I saw Transee on Twitter talking to the TTC about it as well.