Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

18 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Not an app, but a website - https://www.transsee.ca/routelist?a=ttc - dig through the settings, can show all the run numbers, and scheduled versus actual times, etc.

33 minutes ago, BusDude said:

Does anyone know of a good android app that tracks TTC buses that also show bus and run numbers?  I know there's some for iphone, but i lost my iphone, and using an android till I get a new iphone and I can't seem to find a good android one.  Thanks

Use the link he stated above and make it a widget on your home page or something and there you go it acts like an app

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BusDude said:

Does anyone know of a good android app that tracks TTC buses that also show bus and run numbers?  I know there's some for iphone, but i lost my iphone, and using an android till I get a new iphone and I can't seem to find a good android one.  Thanks

Forget iPhone. There are Andriod apps that work for this. Now why are you tracking specific runs? It's kinda stalkerish. 

7 hours ago, BusDude said:

Transit Now for Android has an "operator mode" that shows runs and other info. It will prompt you f you want to switch to it while you\re using the app for the first time.

1 hour ago, Someguy3071 said:

Forget iPhone. There are Andriod apps that work for this. Now why are you tracking specific runs? It's kinda stalkerish. 

I don't know if it's stalkerish, it kind of lets you know if your regular bus is late or missing from the route, or if there has been some sort of detour. Some apps like TTC Watch on iPhone show it by default.

ttcwatch.png

3 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

Tracking runs would let you know where the bus should be after an hour or later in the day. For Transsee, it compares it with the schedule to determine how early/late is the vehicle.

2 hours ago, Downsview 108 said:

Transit Now for Android has an "operator mode" that shows runs and other info. It will prompt you f you want to switch to it while you\re using the app for the first time.

I'll have to check that one out.

Seeing the run numbers, tells you there's something missing ... and if on busy streetcar routes, means if you start looking around nearby, you might see it turning somewhere useful. If everything is present, but just late, it's very rare I find something turning into service nearby.

And personally, seeing if the 506 is running late compared to other runs, is a very good indicator if it's going to be short-turned at Coxwell ... and better avoided if there's nothing close behind.

After years riding the same route, the extra data gives you a good idea about how things are going.

Typically Transee is the first thing I check standing at my local stop with an Android. Was quite useful in Manhattan recently too using wifi in subway stations, telling me how long I had to wait for express versus local subway trains!

Though I also use the Nextbus app, Transit app (for GO Buses mostly) and the simple http://totransit.ca/ on my mobile as well as things start going south with my commute.

• Like 1

TransSee showing run numbers also lets you know if that particular run is going to go out of service after the rush hour or not. Which is useful if you're into looking for specific buses.  however, I don't believe this exists outside of TransSee

• Like 1

On 2/8/2019 at 1:46 AM, Kelvin3157 said:

There's new ads on the TTC in response to unfortunate platform injuries and other unauthorized track delays

Screenshot_2019-02-08-01-43-37.png

They have also posted this online: 

http://www.ttc.ca/Riding_the_TTC/Safety_and_Security/Stay_off_the_tracks.jsp

Band aid solution.  Until TTC installs platform doors, people will still jump

• Like 1

That’s new...must be a trial.

edit: they’re directional XZA2 Michelins. Goodyear couldn’t provide a suitable tire fast enough, despite their contract.

While the tread is better, they’re really truck tires. The sidewalls are thinner than a transit tire, so they won’t tolerate much curb rub at all. There actually is a transit duty specification with really beefy sidewalls to take the abuse.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

edit: they’re directional XZA2 Michelins. Goodyear couldn’t provide a suitable tire fast enough, despite their contract.

While the tread is better, they’re really truck tires. The sidewalls are thinner than a transit tire, so they won’t tolerate much curb rub at all. There actually is a transit duty specification with really beefy sidewalls to take the abuse.

This coming Tuesday should be a good trial for those tires as far as snow traction. 

53 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

What are the chances they might go with a transit tire like this? I rode on this bus and the ride was smooth. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

This coming Tuesday should be a good trial for those tires as far as snow traction. 

What are the chances they might go with a transit tire like this? I rode on this bus and the ride was smooth. 

Yep.  Freezing rain and ice + Canadian snowfall = Bus driver's heaven. And old-ladies-without-good-balance-and-craving-for-a-lawsuit's heaven.

Don't know if that's what Bus Medic is saying. The issue is Curb Rubbing. That's the side of the tire brushing up against a curb, when the bus services a stop. Don't really know if that affects the smoothness of the ride or not. Bigger tread blocks will work better than all season tires. But, I guess buying two pairs of tires for each vehicle isn't really the best option for a severly underfunded transit agency like the TTC. (speculation = 100)  

5 minutes ago, Orion VI said:

Yep.  Freezing rain and ice + Canadian snowfall = Bus driver's heaven. And old-ladies-without-good-balance-and-craving-for-a-lawsuit's heaven.

Don't know if that's what Bus Medic is saying. The issue is Curb Rubbing. That's the side of the tire brushing up against a curb, when the bus services a stop. Don't really know if that affects the smoothness of the ride or not. Bigger tread blocks will work better than all season tires. But, I guess buying two pairs of tires for each vehicle isn't really the best option for a severly underfunded transit agency like the TTC. (speculation = 100)  

So Curb Rubbing is the side of the tire brushing up against a curb? Or is curb rubbing the curb brushing up against the tire?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Orion VI said:

Rubbing the side of the tire against the curb doesn't change how the bus rides but it does weaken the tire sidewall. Transit tires are reinforced on the sidewalk just for this reason. This is a truck Tire that does not have reinforced sidewall and is probably just for testing purposes to see if attics do better with this tread in the snow. I would be happy with a tire like this year round. It should do well in heavy rain too. 

28 minutes ago, Orion VI said:

Now think of how many tires they'll need to store away plus hours of work and hoist availability to prep the entire fleet for the winter

7 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Now think of how many tires they'll need to store away plus hours of work and hoist availability to prep the entire fleet for the winter

Well I think if every employee did their part and helped by storing a set or two depending on any available storage they have I think it could work, now hoist availability that's another ball of wax 

2 hours ago, Orion VI said:

No, I’m saying the curb will chew off the rubber casing down to, and through the steel belts- and the tire will explode. Transit tires have thicker cross sections of both. I don’t know how to explain that any clearer.

1 hour ago, Xtrazsteve said:

We already cycle them through in the fall and spring for HVAC preventative maintenance, each check is 8 hours a bus. Adding an extra hour for 4 tires wouldn’t cripple the garage. My understanding is all 50 odd artics at malvern were  equipped in short order without fuss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1