Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

2 hours ago, Orion VI said:

They don't list the Proterras on the List of Transit vehicles. Why is that? They also list 7900-7905 (ES-0-ES-5) part of their fleet. 

The Event Support Buses ES-0 to ES-5 are still maintained by the TTC even though they were acquired by TPS. They are currently being stored at Birchmount garage.

Anyway, I am now writing a post to analyze the relevancy of the route name compared to the roads or neighbourhoods 

Why does it bother you so much?  

I see three scenarios in use of route numbers/name:

1.  Person A gives person B gives directions in the form take route 32 to Dufferin and transfer to 29. In this case route names are unnecessary and could in fact be based on whatever scheme you choose street/neighbourhood/destination and even route numbers are arbitrary as we have discovered with multiple routes be renumbered in the last 10 years.

2.  Person A gives person B gives directions in the form take Eglinton West bus to Dufferin and transfer to Dufferin bus.  Once again routes could be named whatever you want and Person A will just use the route names being applied by TTC to the routes in question.

3.  Person B uses any of the various apps to get directions and they will use route numbers or numbers with names in either case the name can be whatever it is and it will be simply provided as an extra bit of information.

In all of these cases directions provided could be done with any string containing a number and a word. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Why does it bother you so much?  

I see three scenarios in use of route numbers/name:

1.  Person A gives person B gives directions in the form take route 32 to Dufferin and transfer to 29. In this case route names are unnecessary and could in fact be based on whatever scheme you choose street/neighbourhood/destination and even route numbers are arbitrary as we have discovered with multiple routes be renumbered in the last 10 years.

2.  Person A gives person B gives directions in the form take Eglinton West bus to Dufferin and transfer to Dufferin bus.  Once again routes could be named whatever you want and Person A will just use the route names being applied by TTC to the routes in question.

3.  Person B uses any of the various apps to get directions and they will use route numbers or numbers with names in either case the name can be whatever it is and it will be simply provided as an extra bit of information.

In all of these cases directions provided could be done with any string containing a number and a word. :)

Given the alternate meaning of "TTC", there are a some other possibilities to consider:

4.  Person A tells Person B to drive along Eglinton and then turn on Dufferin.

4a.  Person A tells Person B to drive along a road parallel to Eglinton to avoid the construction and then turn on Dufferin.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tramguy said:

Page 63 of the current TTC Service Summary shows a total of 117 articulated buses in various garages.  

Page 69 shows a total of 153 articulated buses.

Where are the other 36 articulated buses situated?

The page 63 list isn't a total, it's just how many buses go on routes during the listed hours. Adding them up doesn't mean anything. 9000-9152 is 153 buses. Page 71 not 69 says 153. That's the total.

25 minutes ago, Rami A. said:

First of all you stole someone's photo without any credit, secondly, that meme isn't even close to funny

Ok, Rami. He was just trying to be funny. I have to admit, I had a little chuckle when I saw it. I do understand where you are coming from when you said he stole someone's photo without credit. It is wrong and a copyright violation, which is terms for dismissal. Next time, just report it for copyright violation and let the admins deal with it. The meme is actually kinda funny, just saying.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rami A. said:

First of all you stole someone's photo without any credit, secondly, that meme isn't even close to funny

Yes, such a terrible crime I have committed. For that, I yearn for your forgiveness, my dear Senpai. 

On a serious note, yes, I should have, I wasn't aware that taking photos off the internet was going to be a big deal. A lot of YouTubers do it and monetise their videos from it (which is wrong but still). I think it's a funny meme and it's obvious that I didn't take those photographs, someone else did. I only taken them from Google to make a meme. That's it. I'll give credit from now on if that makes you happy.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Doggosareamazing said:

Yes, such a terrible crime I have committed. For that, I yearn for your forgiveness, my dear Senpai. 

On a serious note, yes, I should have, I wasn't aware that taking photos off the internet was going to be a big deal. A lot of YouTubers do it and monetise their videos from it (which is wrong but still). I think it's a funny meme and it's obvious that I didn't take those photographs, someone else did. I only taken them from Google to make a meme. That's it. I'll give credit from now on if that makes you happy.

I'm trying to remember who told me this and I'm drawing a blank but for context it was in a conversation about the music business a long time ago and someone said, "Own your own tapes" with respect to the rights to the intellectual property.  It's advice that applies to everything though, not just music, which is why I feel bad about not being able to attribute the quote.  If you put something out on the internet, you're basically casting it into the wind and hoping for the best which is something the people posting photos tacitly accept so if a couple of them end up in memes, well, that's hardly the worst that could happen.

But that's one reason why I'm reluctant to post anything better than a cellphone photo online.  The other dates back to when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I was in high school, and photography was definitely not digital.  I lent several strips of negatives to someone whose photos didn't turn out well so they could have a set of replacement pictures printed.  What ended up happening was a bunch of people got prints and enlargements made from my negs and I only heard about that when they were returned. I couldn't afford to have enlargements made at the time so I was really pissed off that everyone else had enlargements of my pictures except me and the annoying part was nobody had passed around the hat to get a set done for me which would've been cheap since photo labs discount multiple prints off the same frame.  It was about 10 years until I finally got enlargements made.  I've never lent out originals since then.  Giving away extras or duplicate, sure.  But originals stay under my control.  It took getting scorched a few times but I eventually learned.  Foamers are not to be trusted.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

I'm trying to remember who told me this and I'm drawing a blank but for context it was in a conversation about the music business a long time ago and someone said, "Own your own tapes" with respect to the rights to the intellectual property.  It's advice that applies to everything though, not just music, which is why I feel bad about not being able to attribute the quote.  If you put something out on the internet, you're basically casting it into the wind and hoping for the best which is something the people posting photos tacitly accept so if a couple of them end up in memes, well, that's hardly the worst that could happen.

But that's one reason why I'm reluctant to post anything better than a cellphone photo online.  The other dates back to when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I was in high school, and photography was definitely not digital.  I lent several strips of negatives to someone whose photos didn't turn out well so they could have a set of replacement pictures printed.  What ended up happening was a bunch of people got prints and enlargements made from my negs and I only heard about that when they were returned. I couldn't afford to have enlargements made at the time so I was really pissed off that everyone else had enlargements of my pictures except me and the annoying part was nobody had passed around the hat to get a set done for me which would've been cheap since photo labs discount multiple prints off the same frame.  It was about 10 years until I finally got enlargements made.  I've never lent out originals since then.  Giving away extras or duplicate, sure.  But originals stay under my control.  It took getting scorched a few times but I eventually learned.  Foamers are not to be trusted.

Lol I just watched Murdoch Mysteries and the episode was about a heist involving an original painting and 4 duplicates.

Does anyone know what happend to these buses AFTER the video was taken? I remember going to this lot on Norfinch Drive, (I think it's a parking lot for a park) and one classic was there with the STCUM fishbowl. They are now ALL gone. Where are they now?

8 minutes ago, Orion VI said:

Does anyone know what happend to these buses AFTER the video was taken? I remember going to this lot on Norfinch Drive, (I think it's a parking lot for a park) and one classic was there with the STCUM fishbowl. They are now ALL gone. Where are they now?

The fishbowl was bought by a private owner. The others were scrapped. They also own 9424, and who knows what there doing with that

• Thanks 1