Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

22 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

No.

Now I did buy something today that would give a lot of foamers nightmares for weeks, but no, I'm not buying a bus.  Not happening.

96A1A0B0-B1E3-4975-AE9C-03A99DEFB212.thumb.jpeg.77a04a73883215c7a8676e34034bc8b5.jpeg

eh? Eh?

1 hour ago, Chris.A said:

You guys don't compare to us. Most of your streets are pretty well maintained.

9DA7759D-58A6-4B9E-AB61-3BB7C3161837.jpeg

FFC2EDCE-D411-4638-AD29-21637B974804.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

30 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

96A1A0B0-B1E3-4975-AE9C-03A99DEFB212.thumb.jpeg.77a04a73883215c7a8676e34034bc8b5.jpeg

eh? Eh?

9DA7759D-58A6-4B9E-AB61-3BB7C3161837.jpeg

FFC2EDCE-D411-4638-AD29-21637B974804.jpeg

DEFOAM LOL. 

55 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

No.

Now I did buy something today that would give a lot of foamers nightmares for weeks, but no, I'm not buying a bus.  Not happening.

Who in their right mind would want to buy a dilapidated sardine can where parts are hard to find? Lol

9 hours ago, 63 Ossington said:

With regard to the 7 diversion, apparently while most of the plan is still up in the air pending community input, the 7 will not be making this massive detour; the detour will be for approximately 3 blocks only going around the immediate closure. That will of course entail navigating some side streets.

That's good. I witnessed the 7 detouring on Spadina Road earlier this year, and it was slow and messy. A less ambitious detour also wouldn't affect as many of the stops between Eglinton and St. Clair West.

2 minutes ago, Someguy3071 said:

Novas are too bouncy when you drive them. The front wheels are way farther back and you get a pretty good teeter totter effect in the driver seat. Orions are much better and not bouncy. Nova artics are good too. 

I was speaking from a driver's standpoint when I commented previously.

2 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

y

eh? Eh?

That would come in handy around here but it'd have to be ordered in bulk quantities.  What I got today was a hot air surface mount solder rework station that'll give the "you can't do that complicated electronics" foamers night terrors faster than you can say "CLRV".

Should we tell Chris that the Orion 7 hybrids are nicknamed Diebrids?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

That would come in handy around here but it'd have to be ordered in bulk quantities.  What I got today was a hot air surface mount solder rework station that'll give the "you can't do that complicated electronics" foamers night terrors faster than you can say "CLRV".

Should we tell Chris that the Orion 7 hybrids are nicknamed Diebrids?

Since when?

29 minutes ago, 7575 said:

Don't ruin his childhood. Wait until he's all grown up to drop that bomb on him.

FYI, I'm much older then you think...

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

Since when?

Since they were fairly new, actually.  The problems emerged pretty quickly.  The TTC's undertaken some serious and expensive work to try and get them to be reliable including replacing all of the battery packs fairly early on.  That project, the reliability issues in general and the impacts on fleet planning have been documented in numerous commission reports because a number of these expenditures and several fleet planning issues that have arisen as a result needed to be approved at the commission level.  If you feel like digging through the reports on ttc.ca, they're there, but it's reading that'll cure insomnia.

14 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

FYI, I'm much older then you think...

Are we talking about "Just got driver's license" old, "We don't trust anybody over 30" old, or "I want my senior's discount" old? :)

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Someguy3071 said:

Novas are too bouncy when you drive them. The front wheels are way farther back and you get a pretty good teeter totter effect in the driver seat. Orions are much better and not bouncy. Nova artics are good too. 

The LFS & the LFSA have the same turning radius, or same distance from front to rear wheel on the 40 foot model as the artic front to centre wheel

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chris.A said:

Bus hit a curb, it happens.

Agreed, especially the hybrid buses. Favorite newer buses in the fleet.

Was not a curb.

10 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

Wth did that wheel hit?

Pot/sinkhole. True depth was obscured by water. I actually had to torch the indentation to get at the 10th nut with the 1” impact.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

The LFS & the LFSA have the same turning radius, or same distance from front to rear wheel on the 40 foot model as the artic front to centre wheel

captain-obvious-mens-costume1.jpg

Just think about it. 

12 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

Was not a curb.

Pot/sinkhole. True depth was obscured by water.

Must have been moving pretty fast to do that much damage to the wheel. What else was damaged? I've got some potholes before but never hard enough to cause any issues. 

• Like 1