Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

30 minutes ago, 63 Ossington said:

Not quite sure where you pulled the highway thing from....

I meant that due to its location, an incident, such as your building fire example, could happen far away such as in Scarborough. For the bus to get staffed by a Special Constable, and then driven to the scene in Scarborough from Queensway, it could be prohibitively long.

I meant in the surrounding area, of course if it’s across the city then it’s not the wisest idea. But I get your point. 

6 hours ago, 63 Ossington said:

Not quite sure where you pulled the highway thing from....

I meant that due to its location, an incident, such as your building fire example, could happen far away such as in Scarborough. For the bus to get staffed by a Special Constable, and then driven to the scene in Scarborough from Queensway, it could be prohibitively long.

In that case, they wouldn't call the buses. For short, temporary things like that, Firetrucks do just as well. 

If a bus goes off route for whatever reason--and this morning I was one one that missed a detour routing--are operators trained to call in and get directions?

It seems unlikely to me that the official procedure is "make up a routing on the fly", but would like to confirm this.

1 hour ago, Ed T. said:

If a bus goes off route for whatever reason--and this morning I was one one that missed a detour routing--are operators trained to call in and get directions?

It seems unlikely to me that the official procedure is "make up a routing on the fly", but would like to confirm this.

I would highly doubt it, but @leylandvictory2 do you know?

Sorry, my expertise is more the hardware than routing.

10 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

I wonder if, should the situation arise, they can be used as shelter buses?

Theoretically nothing stopping them from doing so.

3 hours ago, ttc9432 said:

In that case, they wouldn't call the buses. For short, temporary things like that, Firetrucks do just as well. 

Didn’t know fire truck cabs could fit 200 people....

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

Didn’t know fire truck cabs could fit 200 people....

If you read the comment i quoted, it would make more sense. I'm talking about if there is a big accident or fire and traffic needs to be diverted, and the buses are far away, firetrucks can do that job. By the way, buses can't fit 200 people either.

11 hours ago, ttc9432 said:

I would highly doubt it, but @leylandvictory2 do you know?

Sorry, my expertise is more the hardware than routing.

if an operator gone off route or the route is blocked, he/she must stop and call CIS for assistance.  Not every road can fit a 12 meter bus.  The operator will get into serious trouble if he/she got into an accident as a result gone off route.  

I did do a diversion on the fly with the blessing of a supervisor when I did the standby bus.  I basically used the route used by 38 to get from Lawson to UTSC.    

^I've noted that in extreme cases some experienced drivers will take a detour to avoid seriously falling behind schedule, however in my experience it was done where stops in service arent missed.

For example with the 192, ive experienced the 427 being jammed up so badly because of issues with the 401 access from the 427 northbound, so instead of sticking with the 427 drivers would take the old routing via Highway 27 and Dixon Rd.

14 hours ago, Ed T. said:

I wonder if VISION will help with this, I assume the bus will have some sort of GPS screen with a map for a detour? Maybe streets already pre-selected that can handle the size of the bus? Though I have seen buses divert thru VERY narrow streets with cars parked on both sides, was a tight squeeze for sure.

4 hours ago, MK78 said:

I wonder if VISION will help with this, I assume the bus will have some sort of GPS screen with a map for a detour? Maybe streets already pre-selected that can handle the size of the bus? Though I have seen buses divert thru VERY narrow streets with cars parked on both sides, was a tight squeeze for sure.

I was on a 193 that detoured on Block Ave during the CNE labour day parade a few years back. Cars on both sides with less than a foot of space each and the driver made it through like a professional.

12 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

if an operator gone off route or the route is blocked, he/she must stop and call CIS for assistance.  Not every road can fit a 12 meter bus.  The operator will get into serious trouble if he/she got into an accident as a result gone off route. 

In this case, it was a scheduled detour due to construction. Op missed it, discovered that the street for regular routing was closed, and drove off, basically missing over 2 km of route, which included seven or eight stops. This obviously affected passengers who might want to get off (one regular rider got quite upset, and I don't blame her), and of course not picking up anyone waiting. No call to CIS. :huh:

11 hours ago, lip said:

^I've noted that in extreme cases some experienced drivers will take a detour to avoid seriously falling behind schedule, however in my experience it was done where stops in service arent missed.

Back in 2010, Finch Ave. E was under construction. An enterprising Finch East express operator used Bishop Ave. to bypass the mess, and, as he told his passengers, got into trouble for that, even though no stops were missed.

10 hours ago, MK78 said:

I've been on a 110B leaving Long Branch loop that mistakenly (? well, in this case I wonder) turned up Brown's Line (110A routing). CIS called them up before they hit Horner Ave. But that was in the afternoon. I've been on a wrong-branch run in the early morning with no call; I guess they're asleep in the office. ^_^

Well, I don't know if anyone else put in a complaint, but I will. Op should call CIS!

11 hours ago, MK78 said:

That's exactly the case. The TTC already knows what streets and intersections can and can't fit a bus. VISION in theory should help as it will make not only the detour maps and capabilities available at the supervisor's fingertips rather than having to rummage through PDFs or even paper files, but will also be able to allow them to broadcast that detour routing to the drivers.

And in fact, that capability has already been used a number of times.

Dan

Sorry, but in a VISION bus, does the driver have a little IPad or something beside him (near the fare box)? I saw it on a 90xx LFS Artic bus yesterday on 29 Dufferin. At the Dufferin and Lawrence intersection. 

Also do these have anything to do with VISION? Watch the link below. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toKY9j7Xcm4 

2 hours ago, ttc9432 said:

Sorry, but in a VISION bus, does the driver have a little IPad or something beside him (near the fare box)? I saw it on a 90xx LFS Artic bus yesterday on 29 Dufferin. At the Dufferin and Lawrence intersection. 

Also do these have anything to do with VISION? Watch the link below. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toKY9j7Xcm4 

That display beside the farebox is the CleverDevice interface communication screen, which of course, replaced the TRUMP unit. 

The video you linked is a test pilot for the new screens, which the TTC decided to use to enhance passenger experience.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ed T. said:

In this case, it was a scheduled detour due to construction. Op missed it, discovered that the street for regular routing was closed, and drove off, basically missing over 2 km of route, which included seven or eight stops. This obviously affected passengers who might want to get off (one regular rider got quite upset, and I don't blame her), and of course not picking up anyone waiting. No call to CIS. :huh:

Back in 2010, Finch Ave. E was under construction. An enterprising Finch East express operator used Bishop Ave. to bypass the mess, and, as he told his passengers, got into trouble for that, even though no stops were missed.

I've been on a 110B leaving Long Branch loop that mistakenly (? well, in this case I wonder) turned up Brown's Line (110A routing). CIS called them up before they hit Horner Ave. But that was in the afternoon. I've been on a wrong-branch run in the early morning with no call; I guess they're asleep in the office. ^_^

Well, I don't know if anyone else put in a complaint, but I will. Op should call CIS!

One customer complaint will lead to an investigation.  That operator will be in deep trouble.

• Like 1

For anyone interested, I came across this article I came across regarding hybrids; Montreal has been having issues with their hybrid buses. Although some of their issues may be related to the STM's dumb decision to fill up gas tanks before buses head out for service.

It's going to be interesting to monitor if the TTC will be going through yet another hybrid fiasco with these upcoming Novas:

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/buses-towed-away-daily-because-they-run-out-of-gas-says-union-boss

3 hours ago, lip said:

For anyone interested, I came across this article I came across regarding hybrids; Montreal has been having issues with their hybrid buses. Although some of their issues may be related to the STM's dumb decision to fill up gas tanks before buses head out for service.

It's going to be interesting to monitor if the TTC will be going through yet another hybrid fiasco with these upcoming Novas:

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/buses-towed-away-daily-because-they-run-out-of-gas-says-union-boss

This article tells a lot about their maintaince: https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/if-you-think-your-bus-is-unreliable-these-stm-numbers-might-answer-why

TTC used to have MDBF around 5000-7000km. Now they are at over 20,000 km. STM is still in that range. It doesn't matter what buses they have. if they don't invest in them, they'll all fail quickly

12 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

One customer complaint will lead to an investigation.  That operator will be in deep trouble.

That's why I asked here first.

The operator struck me as a fairly new one, and if no one informed him of the detour, then it would be quite a surprise (to the op, I mean). (Would long-term route detours be posted at the division? I would think they ought to be.)

On the other hand, he made some bad decisions, that went against the training to call in to CIS, and I wouldn't say the interactions with the passengers were very good either. That's the same reason I reported a different op who I suppose misread the run sheet and went off on the wrong route branch, insisting that he was right. This was early enough in the morning to know that he was wrong (the bus enters service on this run, every morning)....and the other passengers, 90% of whom are regulars on that run, knew that as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lip said:

Unless the commission adopts the same fueling practices ( which there is no desire to) we have little to worry about...at least about running out, anyway. The article is just an excuse for both sides to lob insults at each other. After reading, I’ve surmised that neither spokesperson is familiar with the nuts and bolts of hybrid technology, the BAE incarnation in particular.

- (tinfoil hat time)

....I wonder how many of these mileage accounting errors between fuellings are actually *ahem* ...accidental.

7 hours ago, Ed T. said:

That's why I asked here first.

The operator struck me as a fairly new one, and if no one informed him of the detour, then it would be quite a surprise (to the op, I mean). (Would long-term route detours be posted at the division? I would think they ought to be.)

On the other hand, he made some bad decisions, that went against the training to call in to CIS, and I wouldn't say the interactions with the passengers were very good either. That's the same reason I reported a different op who I suppose misread the run sheet and went off on the wrong route branch, insisting that he was right. This was early enough in the morning to know that he was wrong (the bus enters service on this run, every morning)....and the other passengers, 90% of whom are regulars on that run, knew that as well.

Up to you if you want to file a complaint.