Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

On 10/12/2018 at 12:29 PM, BYD said:

Since I read about the Davenport Garage on Transit Toronto, can anyone (@Robert Lubinski, @smallspy and any transit historian here) explain the reason why did it close in detail on January 4, 1993? So far I complied the near-complete list of notable route assignments from Jan. 4 1993 IIRC.

The TTC was in the midst of a huge rollback in service, not just because of a stagnant economy but also because of a Provincial government who was also cutting back on funding as a result of a large downturn in the economy and huge deficits. Without the funding for service, service was being cut back and so there wasn't a need for as many vehicles in service. In that time, two of the smaller and older divisions were shut down - first Davenport and later Lansdowne in 1996.

Had the history been different and neither been closed down in the 1990s, it is exceedingly likely that they would have both been replaced by now. Both were old and small divisions, and not capable of being expanded. This is why Danforth and Old Eglinton divisions were combined into the new facilty on Comstock, and why Birchmount was expanded to its current size around that same size. Queensway is now the only bus division who's maximum capacity is smaller than 250 buses.

On 10/12/2018 at 7:59 PM, 7969 said:

Anyone know why Kipling loop has a short spur to the north of the loop?  Living in the New Toronto area, I've always wondered why this existed.  A former wye possibly?kiplington.thumb.png.f1c9467fe6ea6f542fc672ea8d6c7d40.png

It's called a tail track. They are used to temporarily store disabled vehicles without impinging on service.

Dan

51 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

For anyone curious, after being able to open a compartment or two on a 3200 series novabus, I can confirm that the doors are operated electrically.

Does this prevent them from slamming open? Ours at Brampton transit are air and have a tendency to whack against the front panel when opening ( granted we are using 1/3 so it may be a 1/3 door issue ) 

20 hours ago, smallspy said:

It's called a tail track. They are used to temporarily store disabled vehicles without impinging on service.

The grooves of the Kipling tail tracks have been filled in for some time, and I think the overhead has been removed.

TTC crews were apparently starting to rebuild the loop last week; I would guess that the tail tracks will be gone permanently after they're done. It will be interesting to see if the east-to-north curve survives the rebuild. I think the overhead for that was modernized, same as for the more useful west-to-north and south-to-east curves.

10 hours ago, TechnicaProductions said:

As if it wasn't obvious by the lack of Nova's typically loud air pressure release lol

I’ve never ridden or driven one so I couldn’t go by that. My shifts start way early and I drive to work.

10 hours ago, NewFlyerFan said:

Does this prevent them from slamming open? Ours at Brampton transit are air and have a tendency to whack against the front panel when opening ( granted we are using 1/3 so it may be a 1/3 door issue ) 

Only opened the compartment to see. Bus was parked and shut down.

6 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Fast and smooth opening unlike previous series too. 

A colleague from Oakville was complaining that their electric doors are too slow...must be a settings thing.

• Thanks 1

Saturday, October 27, 2018

LESLIE BARNS PUBLIC OPEN HOUSE – A TTC/United Way event

Includes: Guided tours, silent auction, food and entertainment, streetcar rides, kids’ activities, games, dunk tank, car/motorcycle show, virtual streetcar simulator, TTC vehicles on display. Fun for everyone!
Location: Leslie Barns, 1165 Lake Shore Blvd. E. (at Leslie Street).
Time: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Cost: Pay what you can on entry. Proceeds to TTC/United Way Campaign.

From a website that I want to keep it as a low profile.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, blue.bird.fan said:

Does anyone know the reason why the TTC added the nightly closures from Sheppard West to St. Clair West from October 29-November 1 at the last minute? Also, I would like to clarify. Do the express shuttle buses for those closures run from Yorkdale to Lawrence West only?

From the info graphic, it looks like there's a main shuttle stopping at each station except Yorkdale, and then a dedicated shuttle from Lawrence West to Yorkdale and back.

As for why, it may have something to do with ATC?

In a follow up general route question when it comes to route transfers and changes when a new division opens or existing ones closes, how does the TTC Service Planning assigns routes to a new division upon opening of a new garage or closure of the former one? Can any transit historians also explain how it works?

Based on my theory, I gathered the list of routes that @Richard wrote when New Eglinton first opened in 2002 and included Mount Dennis upon commissioning in 2008. Bold indicates route is accessible.

NEW EGLINTON DIVISION - March 31, 2002 (Merger of Danforth and Old Eglinton garages)

• 5 AVENUE ROAD (Old Eglinton)
  • 11 BAYVIEW (Old Eglinton)
  • 21 BRIMLEY (Malvern)
  • 28 DAVISVILLE (Old Eglinton)
  • 34 EGLINTON EAST (Birchmount / Old Eglinton)
  • 42 CUMMER (Wilson)
  • 43 KENNEDY (Birchmount)
  • 51 LESLIE (Old Eglinton)
  • 54 LAWRENCE EAST (Old Eglinton) - some runs provided by Malvern
  • 56 LEASIDE (Old Eglinton)
  • 57 MIDLAND (Danforth)
  • 61 AVENUE ROAD NORTH (Old Eglinton) - some runs provided by Wilson
  • 65 PARLIAMENT (Danforth)
  • 72 PAPE (Danforth)
  • 74 MOUNT PLEASANT (Old Eglinton) 
  • 75 SHERBOURNE (Danforth)
  • 81 THORNCLIFFE PARK (Danforth)
  • 85 SHEPPARD EAST (Malvern, mostly some of the 85D and 85G runs) - some runs provided by Malvern
  • 86 SCARBOROUGH (Birchmount)
  • 87 COSBURN (Danforth)
  • 88 SOUTH LEASIDE (Old Eglinton)
  • 94 WELLESLEY (Danforth)
  • 97 YONGE (Old Eglinton)
  • 100 FLEMINGDON PARK (Danforth)
  • 103 MOUNT PLEASANT NORTH (Old Eglinton) - some runs provided by Wilson
  • 113 DANFORTH (Birchmount, some late evening runs) - some runs provided by Birchmount
  • 116 MORNINGSIDE (Birchmount)
  • 141 DOWNTOWN/MOUNT PLEASANT EXPRESS (Old Eglinton) ?
  • 144 DOWNTOWN/DON VALLEY EXPRESS (Wilson)
  • 192 AIRPORT ROCKET (Old Eglinton)
  • 300 BLOOR-DANFORTH BLUE NIGHT (Danforth)  - some runs provided by Birchmount and Queensway
  • 305 EGLINTON EAST BLUE NIGHT (Birchmount / Old Eglinton) ?
  • 320 YONGE BLUE NIGHT (Old Eglinton) - some runs provided by Wilson

MOUNT DENNIS DIVISION - November 23, 2008

• 5 AVENUE ROAD (New Eglinton)
  • 6 BAY (Wilson)
  • 26 DUPONT (Queensway)
  • 32 EGLINTON WEST (Queensway / Wilson)
  • 40 JUNCTION (Queensway)
  • 41 KEELE (Arrow Road)
  • 47 LANSDOWNE (Wilson)
  • 52 LAWRENCE WEST (Queensway / Wilson)
  • 55 WARREN PARK (Queensway)
  • 56 LEASIDE (New Eglinton) - some runs provided by Wilson
  • 58 MALTON (Wilson)
  • 59 MAPLE LEAF (Wilson)
  • 63 OSSINGTON (Wilson)
  • 71 RUNNYMEDE (Queensway)
  • 77 SWANSEA (Arrow Road / Queensway)
  • 79 SCARLETT ROAD (Arrow Road)
  • 89 WESTON (Queensway)
  • 90 VAUGHAN (Wilson)
  • 94 WELLESLEY (New Eglinton)
  • 126 CHRISTIE (Wilson)
  • 127 DAVENPORT (New Eglinton)
  • 141 DOWNTOWN/MOUNT PLEASANT EXPRESS (New Eglinton)
  • 161 ROGERS ROAD (Wilson)
  • 168 SYMINGTON (Queensway)
  • 171 MOUNT DENNIS
  • 300 BLOOR-DANFORTH BLUE NIGHT  - some runs provided by Birchmount, New Eglinton and Queensway
  • 307 EGLINTON WEST BLUE NIGHT  (Queensway / Wilson)
  • 316 OSSINGTON BLUE NIGHT (Wilson) - some runs provided by Wilson
  • 320 YONGE BLUE NIGHT  - some runs provided by Old Eglinton and Wilson
  • 329 DUFFERIN BLUE NIGHT - some runs provided by Wilson
  • 352 LAWRENCE WEST BLUE NIGHT (Wilson) 

Why is it TTC policy for Flexity ops to open all doors at all stops? Is this another of those "there's a perfectly good reason for it" things? It's terrible for riders when it's really cold or raining heavily. Use the buttons as intended!

On the topic of the Flexity programmed displays, they are using lowercase font for the new 504 signs which was difficult to read IMO due to spacing between the letters (Distillery for example). For the 512, the Leslie bound signs now read 512 ST CLAIR / TO LESLIE / via King which is wrong because Leslie runs have always used Queen.

2 hours ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

Why is it TTC policy for Flexity ops to open all doors at all stops? Is this another of those "there's a perfectly good reason for it" things? It's terrible for riders when it's really cold or raining heavily. Use the buttons as intended!

On the topic of the Flexity programmed displays, they are using lowercase font for the new 504 signs which was difficult to read IMO due to spacing between the letters (Distillery for example). For the 512, the Leslie bound signs now read 512 ST CLAIR / TO LESLIE / via King which is wrong because Leslie runs have always used Queen.

It depends on the street car operaters

2 hours ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

It makes for fast and convenient boarding and alighting. If we didn’t open all doors at each stop, most people would just stand there waiting for the doors to open instead of just pushing the button. This would increase dwell times at stops.

44 minutes ago, TTCOpITM said:

It makes for fast and convenient boarding and alighting. If we didn’t open all doors at each stop, most people would just stand there waiting for the doors to open instead of just pushing the button. This would increase dwell times at stops.

The new streetcars have been in service for over four years now, and I find it amusing that in this city, people seem unable to learn what has been taken for granted for decades in Europe and elsewhere. There are many systems across the pond that have even retrofitted their older vehicles with this system and people over there have adjusted with no issues. I agree that in Toronto, it is certainly easier from an operator perspective to just open all the doors at all stops if passengers cannot/would not understand what those door buttons are for.  

3 hours ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

One policy I'd prefer being followed is not closing the doors on customers still boarding. Aka opening all the doors and in 3 seconds close them via the operator controls so the customer-operated buttons don't work. A certain subset of the population will jam the doors which can lead to its own problems, but another subset of the population will not (like customers should), and be unjustly left behind.

For the 512 cars running back to the yard, a lot of ops will throw up a 511 to Queen sign or 501 to Leslie sign so it doesn't resemble a 512 sign (esp at the Bathurst stop).

1 hour ago, Nova bus 44 said:

This is a kinda dumb question but according to @FreshCorp619 1700-1829 were delivered to mt dennis. Is this correct?

The 1700s have yet reached MtD in their entire life. So whoever told you this is dead wrong.

They were delivered to Wilson and Malvern simultaneously, numbers were all mixed up till eventually all the lower numbers were trade to Wilson and higher ones moved to Malvern. There was a time Wilson was hybrid free with the entire batch moved to Malvern mostly. Arrow have temporary gotten some units due to a shortage of buses at their division before the 8400 arrived. 

6 hours ago, TTCOpITM said:

People would learn fast if the vehicles pulled away while they stood there.

4 minutes ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

People would learn fast if the vehicles pulled away while they stood there.

I can only imagine the extra s--- the operators would have to put up with on a daily basis and the flurry of complaints that would follow in such a scenario. This is not going to fly in this city.

9 minutes ago, ttc rider said:

I can only imagine the extra s--- the operators would have to put up with on a daily basis and the flurry of complaints that would follow in such a scenario. This is not going to fly in this city.

Lets face it, there's way too many idiots and those who can't read English in this city AND the TTC doesn't know how to get the message out. I mean, they can just stick a sticker saying press the button to open the door when green LED is flashing with an arrow pointing to it. Then tape posters instructing people that same time on shelters and subway stations. Also they can create announcements on the subway, put ads in daily newspaper, etc.