Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

A friend and I were discussing the idea of a pilot-project BRT running along the Lake Shore and Marine Parade to a loop through the downtown. It would use repurposed MTD artics, as they don't seem to be used that well on the 41. This area needs better transit, and the 145 is proving too expensive. It would have transit priority signals and dedicated lanes.

This would be a similar idea to the Silver Line BRT in Boston, charging regular subway fares.

How well would this idea work out in real life?

4 hours ago, blue.bird.fan said:

A friend and I were discussing the idea of a pilot-project BRT running along the Lake Shore and Marine Parade to a loop through the downtown. It would use repurposed MTD artics, as they don't seem to be used that well on the 41. This area needs better transit, and the 145 is proving too expensive. It would have transit priority signals and dedicated lanes.

This would be a similar idea to the Silver Line BRT in Boston, charging regular subway fares.

How well would this idea work out in real life?

How would it work? Probably pretty shitty.

The whole point of the premium express route is that it needs the extra fare to cover its costs, since it would only really carry passengers in one direction. If the ridership on the 145 was decent, there may be a place for a BRT route along the same corridor - but yet it can't even come remotely close to covering its costs. In fact the only reason why its still around is due to the tenaciousness of the local councillor. If he loses his seat, I suspect that the 145 won't last much past the New Year.

Dan

Just bridging the gap here. will it be possible for the TTC to introduce a bus service on Scarborough Golf Club Road running from Warden or Victoria Park to Ellesmere? We know the Scarborough Golf Club portion is serviced by the 54B between Brimorton and Lawrence. 

According to my observance this evening at the Masaryktown Memorial Complex which has the Senior Residence, Apartments and the Prague Restaurant, there is no bus service serving that place but its a 8-10 minute walk from the 54 and 102/902. In addition to this, it can also serve the golf course (Scarboro Golf and Country Club) with the banquet hall and residential areas (especially north of Brimorton). 

Anyone suggest the idea of a bus service on Scarborough Golf Club to both the TTC and Ward 36, 38, and 43 City Councilors? 

On 9/6/2018 at 12:57 PM, 8058 said:

Are there any updates on TTC United Way Open House tour?

There's a United Way public tour on September 29 from 9 am to 2 pm at Overhead Shop on 391 Alliance Ave according to Toronto Transit Commission FB page.  They also said there's a tour at Leslie Barns on October 27.  The timing is TBA.

• Thanks 1

A week ago I was watching one old streetcar slowly push another old streetcar off a line and got thinking about the new streetcars. Is there an electronic connection to allow the driver of the disabled front car in coupled Flexity pairs to control the motors and brakes of the powered rear car? The current system isn't ideal.

Of note from Wednesday night. I was watching on one of the transit mapping apps and saw car #4487 escape on to the 501 after coming off King at Broadview. Made a trip from Neville Park to Humber and returned to Leslie. It was signed in as a 501.

17 hours ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

A week ago I was watching one old streetcar slowly push another old streetcar off a line and got thinking about the new streetcars. Is there an electronic connection to allow the driver of the disabled front car in coupled Flexity pairs to control the motors and brakes of the powered rear car? The current system isn't ideal.

The CLRVs were built with couplers, but these were removed in the early 1980s when it was realized that they were not going to be used. Couplers were not used for propelling disabled cars, as depending on where the fault lay, it could also affect the good car.

The Flexities have couplers, but they are only to provide the same functions as a drawbar - that is, they don't control propulsion and onboard systems.

Dan

When it comes to night buses, do certain subway station's bus or streetcar terminals remain open all night long? I wonder if Kennedy, Kipling, Dundas West, Spadina, Union, Main Street kept their terminals open for 24 hours as opposed to closing them for a few hours. On top of that, how come 384/385, 396/395 terminate outside of station instead of inside of it?

In discussion of Blue Night related questions, I remember reading one of the TTC's reports that 11 BAYVIEW, 102 MARKHAM ROAD, 46 MARTIN GROVE, 70 O'CONNOR were earmarked for 24 hour service but I don't get why none of the routes get Blue Night service? Some of them are in a 15 minute walk from a local night route which is nearly 400 yards away from a local road.

The terminals are used for turning vehicles all night but are closed to passengers after the subway closes. Either regular on street stops or special Blue Night stops are used instead. The exceptions are Union and Spadina, which have gates that keep a limited part of the station open for streetcar users only.

Regarding your second point, the TTC doesn't consider night service warranted on those routes for whatever reason. Part of the 70 has night service with the 322, though parts of East York between Coxwell and Vic Park (especially in the Woodbine Bridge and Parkview Hills area) are either outside or just barely in the 15 minute radius for night service.

3 hours ago, 63 Ossington said:

Probably because with buses, there's a Blue Night stop right outside the station usually, something not possible with the 310 at Union or Spadina as there are stretches of tunnel before the stations. As well, keeping the station open requires staffing by a collector (or CSA in the future).

I thought they just leave the station open and tell you to pay on the streetcar for the 310 but they do need surveillance.

1 hour ago, Xtrazsteve said:

I thought they just leave the station open and tell you to pay on the streetcar for the 310 but they do need surveillance.

That definitely was the case before the 310, during times when the subway wasn't running. I'm not sure if fare control has moved to the gates now, but the main purpose I'm aware of is monitoring surveillance, and passenger assistance intercoms in particular. And they're still open for fare purchases.

10 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

I wonder if they actually conduct any fare inspections overnight. Haven anyone seen them out?

Or do to the costly overnight wage and that most people taking the 310 would probably need to transfer to a bus, they just let inspection slide.

Supposedly there is at least one team out overnight, but personally the latest I've encountered a team is around just after midnight.

8 hours ago, 63 Ossington said:

Supposedly there is at least one team out overnight, but personally the latest I've encountered a team is around just after midnight.

That's a lot later than I've ever encountered them. What do they do, hide in the fare-paid areas of Broadview, Spadina, etc? Hmm, though I"m frequently at Main late at night, and never seen them - though arrivals at Main on 506 are pretty slim that late compared to 504, 510, etc.

21 hours ago, IRT_BMT_IND said:

The terminals are used for turning vehicles all night but are closed to passengers after the subway closes. Either regular on street stops or special Blue Night stops are used instead. The exceptions are Union and Spadina, which have gates that keep a limited part of the station open for streetcar users only.

Regarding your second point, the TTC doesn't consider night service warranted on those routes for whatever reason. Part of the 70 has night service with the 322, though parts of East York between Coxwell and Vic Park (especially in the Woodbine Bridge and Parkview Hills area) are either outside or just barely in the 15 minute radius for night service.

But Markham Road is a 15 minute (more like 20 minute) walk from 324, 300, 302, 334, 354, 395, 385, 339, and 353 which therefore your argument is a little invalid.

4 hours ago, nfitz said:

That's a lot later than I've ever encountered them. What do they do, hide in the fare-paid areas of Broadview, Spadina, etc? Hmm, though I"m frequently at Main late at night, and never seen them - though arrivals at Main on 506 are pretty slim that late compared to 504, 510, etc.

Isn't Kipling also open too since part of the station like the collectors area is in the bottom? The 300 bus also passes by the station too.

In regards to Kennedy, because of the temporary terminal, neither the 43 stop poles has no 343 in them nor the 34 with the 334 WB too. I wonder where the 334 W and 343 stop now since part of the terminal is closed but the 334 EB and 300B use the southern part of the terminal.

Formerly units 7900 through 7905. Reassigned about 2 months ago, unconfirmed word was that ownership was handed over to Toronto police services, but the ttc logos remaining suggests otherwise. Repurposed primarily to act as easily deployable roadblocks against potential public security threats- at events just like nuit blanche. 

• Thanks 2

On 9/20/2018 at 5:22 PM, DAT_28 said:

Does anyone know what happened to 3006 and 3009 (:1)? They have been gone for a while.

Also 3007 is renumbered to 3009 (:2) but the interior still shows 3007

Maybe maybe these cars went to be refurbished? Or they are permanently  out of service for corrosion. It would take a lot of work to change the numbers of the cars because The numbers are used by the ATO system and at transit control to locate and send commands to the train. 

5 minutes ago, Tunnelrat said:

Maybe maybe these cars went to be refurbished? Or they are permanently  out of service for corrosion. It would take a lot of work to change the numbers of the cars because The numbers are used by the ATO system and at transit control to locate and send commands to the train. 

No, they’re already refurbished and the original 3009 is back with 3008 anyway.

2 hours ago, Tunnelrat said:

It would take a lot of work to change the numbers of the cars because The numbers are used by the ATO system and at transit control to locate and send commands to the train. 

Indeed, SelTrac does not lend itself to changes - witness all of the issues that Vancouver had once they started to approach 128 cars in its fleet oh so long ago, or the constant headaches San Fransisco had with the Muni Tunnel. Or, frankly, the SRT on a daily basis.

What is more likely is that the interior panel from 3007 was used in 3009 while it was out of service.

Dan