Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

5 hours ago, lip said:

Nope it's not just you, it's to the point where the pressure release when the T1's are about to depart are louder than the chimes. Now I usually listen for the pressure sound as a gauge of how much time I have to board a train. We've gone from the chimes being deafening loud when they first did the updates, to almost non-existent.

Not to mention some cars don't have them working at all

3 hours ago, lip said:

^Just another example of if it's not broke, dont fix it at all. My understanding is that the new chimes are somehow tied into the destination signs on board, but I really dont think that was necessary to do.

They are since the chime plays the external announcement when the system is running. The original T1 chimes were air powered (hence the harmonica like tone) and not electronic

On 8/5/2018 at 5:44 AM, TechnicaProductions said:

They are since the chime plays the external announcement when the system is running. The original T1 chimes were air powered (hence the harmonica like tone) and not electronic

I'm surprised that they opted for a harmonic system over an electronic system. How about the H cars where those electronic? 

On 8/4/2018 at 5:03 PM, lip said:

Nope it's not just you, it's to the point where the pressure release when the T1's are about to depart are louder than the chimes. Now I usually listen for the pressure sound as a gauge of how much time I have to board a train. We've gone from the chimes being deafening loud when they first did the updates, to almost non-existent.

Well, from what I've noticed, I'm not sure why, but whenever the A/C is on for the T1's, the chime becomes quiet. But last year, despite the A/C being on for the T1's, some of the T1's chimes were still loud. So I'm not sure what TTC did, but I think it's the A/C causing the quietness.

35 minutes ago, BusDude said:

WOW and why would they put that up? I'm surprised the drivers/union haven't said anything bout it. 

At the end of the day, the operators are no worse off with it publicly displayed.

It’s not like management has had any difficulty tracking down operators facing complaints (or the odd commendation) by cross referencing the route, fleet # and date/time up to this point.

46 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

At the end of the day, the operators are no worse off with it publicly displayed.

It’s not like management has had any difficulty tracking down operators facing complaints (or the odd commendation) by cross referencing the route, fleet # and date/time up to this point.

more complaints then compliments. I know operators who have had commendations given to them but they never got them from the division..... seems they were "misplaced".  Yet a lot of these stupid  bogus complaints people put through- well they never go missing.

Does anyone know or have an educated guess how TTC plans to implement the day pass with Presto or do they plan to continue offering the day pass even after all other non cash non Presto fare medias are discontinued?

I'm more interested in how they plan to do the 2 adults day pass on Presto on weekends / holidays if they do intend to discontinue the paper day pass.

1 minute ago, Cityflyer said:

Does anyone know or have an educated guess how TTC plans to implement the day pass with Presto or do they plan to continue offering the day pass even after all other non cash non Presto fare medias are discontinued?

I'm more interested in how they plan to do the 2 adults day pass on Presto on weekends / holidays if they do intend to discontinue the paper day pass.

They are implementing it through daily rate capping, like already done by some of the other agencies using Presto. It's tentatively set for October 15, 2018.

No indication how they do 2-adults, but presumably the first person taps, and the following people don't tap (or use the accessibility gates all at once). Hmm, but how does that work on trips one through three?

I've noticed there's around 3 Flexities on 511 on the weekdays during this board period but 512 has CLRVs running on it everyday. Why didn't they make 512 100% Flexity before attempting to put some on 511?

Are they meant for the 2 weeks of CNE which begins this Friday?

On the other hand, 504 has been pretty good ever since they did that construction split. Most Dundas West Stn to Distillery branch cars are Flexities.

8 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

Almost certainly so. I fact, I would not be surprised if 100% of scheduled 511 runs are Flexity cars during the CNE. Once it's over it's likely that the cars would be moved to 512 which would then designated accessible.

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:48 PM, Cityflyer said:

I've noticed there's around 3 Flexities on 511 on the weekdays during this board period but 512 has CLRVs running on it everyday. Why didn't they make 512 100% Flexity before attempting to put some on 511?

The 511 has higher demand in the summer so it made sense to prioritize it for deployment of the larger cars. For the same reason, there is now increased service on 509 Harbourfront.

By the way, there are normally four runs operated with Flexities on 511 on weekdays and this arrangement has been in place since July 24. So it has nothing to do with the CNE, nor with the current board period, which began in late June.

Prior to July 24, Flexities were deployed on 511 on Sundays (because there are extra cars available and it makes sense to put them somewhere) and occasionally on Saturdays (but only during special events, such as Honda Indy).

CLRV do not run on 512 every day. They are confined to the peak periods,  and there are three spare CLRV's during weekday midday as well. Other than that, service is already 100% Flexity, and not just on paper, but in practice, too. Starting with the September board, full Flexity service is scheduled and all CLRV's should be gone.

Not necessarily, but I suspect a larger number will be deployed on 509 & 511 during the CNE.

On the other hand, 504 has been pretty good ever since they did that construction split. Most Dundas West Stn to Distillery branch cars are Flexities.

All service on the "504A" Dundas West Stn - Distillery branch is scheduled with Flexities.

The "504C" Dufferin Gate - Queen/Kingston Rd branch gets Flexities on the weekends, if extra cars are available.

The "504B" Dufferin Gate - Bingham Loop branch has been getting a single Flexity run beginning last week, during the afternoon peak only.

7 hours ago, ttc rider said:

CLRV do not run on 512 every day. They are confined to the peak periods,  and there are three spare CLRV's during weekday midday as well. Other than that, service is already 100% Flexity, and not just on paper, but in practice, too. Starting with the September board, full Flexity service is scheduled and all CLRV's should be gone.

The "504B" Dufferin Gate - Bingham Loop branch has been getting a single Flexity run beginning last week, during the afternoon peak only.

So ride CLRVs on St. Clair while you can?

How often do Flexities show up on Kingston Road?

2 hours ago, Ed T. said:

I suppose so. The September schedules are 100% Flexity at all times.

2 hours ago, Ed T. said:

How often do Flexities show up on Kingston Road?

So far, there has been one Flexity car deployed either on 46 run or 47 run in the afternoon peak.

46 run: Dufferin Gate 16:07 -> Bingham Loop 17:17 ; Bingham Loop 17:19 -> Dufferin Gate 18:29

47 run: Connaught & Queen 15:56 -> Bingham Loop 16:13

Bingham Loop 16:16 -> Dufferin Gate 17:26

Dufferin Gate 17:30 -> Bingham Loop 18:40

Bingham Loop 18:43 - > Dufferin Gate 19:49

I have only included the times for the trips that physically operate on Kingston Rd.

Both runs 46 & 47 continue into early evening service, but only between Dufferin Gate Loop and Kingston Rd/Queen Loop.

3 hours ago, ttc rider said:

So far, there has been one Flexity car deployed either on 46 run or 47 run in the afternoon peak.

46 run: Dufferin Gate 16:07 -> Bingham Loop 17:17 ; Bingham Loop 17:19 -> Dufferin Gate 18:29

47 run: Connaught & Queen 15:56 -> Bingham Loop 16:13

Bingham Loop 16:16 -> Dufferin Gate 17:26

Dufferin Gate 17:30 -> Bingham Loop 18:40

Bingham Loop 18:43 - > Dufferin Gate 19:49

I have only included the times for the trips that physically operate on Kingston Rd.

Both runs 46 & 47 continue into early evening service, but only between Dufferin Gate Loop and Kingston Rd/Queen Loop.

So at Bingham loop at either 4:16, 5:17, or 6:43.

I've been occasionally taking the streetcar down from Main and Kingston in the afternoon, anywhere between 4 and 6 PM. Haven't seen a Flexity yet.

Kingston Road is also mostly the old-time overhead. I'm surprised they're sending any Flexities up there, to be honest.

24 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

I've been occasionally taking the streetcar down from Main and Kingston in the afternoon, anywhere between 4 and 6 PM. Haven't seen a Flexity yet.

I live near there, and I've never even seen a training car up that way. I know it happens, but it's not a common sight.

And with both 502 and 503 returning with buses in September, these occasional Flexities for a week or two are extremely rare! Unless they decide to priotize them for the Dufferin Gate branch of 504 during the weekday when the Ex is on. (wow, a streetcar direct from the Beaches to the CNE!)