Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

The bus allocation for 1810 Markham road has been scaled back to a more feasible 20-25, at least for now. Contractors have ground thawing equipment and portable tents allowing them to work unimpeded. First pour for the access ramps was today.

firm start  up date of feb 17th.

I don't understand this one. The parking lot always seems full. So has TTC declared it surplus, or are the police jumping to conclusions.

There's a big, mostly unused building nearby that might be more useful. The old East York city hall, just up Coxwell.

12 hours ago, nfitz said:

I don't understand this one. The parking lot always seems full. So has TTC declared it surplus, or are the police jumping to conclusions.

There's a big, mostly unused building nearby that might be more useful. The old East York city hall, just up Coxwell.

It turns out this whole thing may be a long a drawn out process. The TPS and local city councillor want to work with City Planning to determine if there can be some kind of hub model where you would see the TTC, TPS, Toronto Public Library and a potential Community Hub operate on site.

We'll have to wait for some kind of TTC report to see whether they want to fully vacate the site, or move some functions to a different location and remain at Danforth Garage.

• Like 1

TTC dropped the new 5-year corporate plan and Ridership Growth Strategy in the documents for next week's TTC meeting - http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2018/January_25/Agenda/Agenda.jsp

The highlight would be the new map showing the Toronto Transit Network Plan that council approved in 2016 - http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2016.EX13.3

Obviously some changes since then, such as Line 6 possibly heading to Pearson, Waterfront Transit probably stopping at Leslie instead of Woodbine, the Sheppard West portion of Line 4 that's in the current draft Regional Transportation Plan, along with an LRT heading up Don Mills from Sheppard (Line 9?).

We already knew about the Line 5, 6, and 7 colours, and that of the Relief Line (Line 3). But here is the pink Line 8 - Jane!

image.thumb.png.60c0a9e035dd93d3611be57d407d9782.png

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, nfitz said:

TTC dropped the new 5-year corporate plan and Ridership Growth Strategy in the documents for next week's TTC meeting - http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2018/January_25/Agenda/Agenda.jsp

The highlight would be the new map showing the Toronto Transit Network Plan that council approved in 2016 - http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2016.EX13.3

Obviously some changes since then, such as Line 6 possibly heading to Pearson, Waterfront Transit probably stopping at Leslie instead of Woodbine, the Sheppard West portion of Line 4 that's in the current draft Regional Transportation Plan, along with an LRT heading up Don Mills from Sheppard (Line 9?).

We already knew about the Line 5, 6, and 7 colours, and that of the Relief Line (Line 3). But here is the pink Line 8 - Jane!

Well, I am happy to see more of former Mayor Miller's original Transit City plan resurrected. But what the map doesn't show is in which forms they would be resurrected in - subway or LRT (that might be the case for the *'d lines) - although the distinction with BRT is clear, and something that Toronto riders would definitely benefit from.

P.S. I hope that the TTC adopts driverless technology for the Relief Line. That would be a first for a high-capacity subway line in North America.

10 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

I hope that the TTC adopts driverless technology for the Relief Line. That would be a first for a high-capacity subway line in North America.

I know this is a controversial topic, and I know some will disagree, but I kind of hope they don't remove the drivers altogether. Best to keep people employed IMO. Feels better when there's a living being at the controls, not a computer. Again, my opinion, and I know this tech has been adopted in places around the world, but don't eat me for it. 

1 hour ago, Ed T. said:

Well, at least the proposed network doesn't include everyone's favourite napkin-and-crayon lines, B-D to Sherway (or Dixie, or Oakville, or St. Thomas, or ....) and Sheppard to Sheppard West.

BD I agree with, but they should really change the Finch West LRT to not serve Finch station, but serve Pearson and extend Line 4-Sheppard West; West side people would really benefit from that huge new hub at Don Mills and it would be easier for people on the East side to get to York University and Yorkdale. Also, that access from North York to Pearson would really alleviate the 401 bottleneck. 

20 hours ago, nfitz said:

Why don't they have Line 8 serving 407? That to me makes a lot more sense considering the ridership pretty much going to be dead over there. 

Another random idea: What about giving the LRT lines letters, and if we revert to the Scarborough LRT and have it interline with Eglinton east & west, background colours can represent the trunk line of Eglinton, with a letter representing the route? 

Side note: they didn't put the name of Science Centre on the map; where lines 3 and 5 meet. 

10 minutes ago, skyfirenet said:

So why spend tens of millions when you can just adjust those routes?

Because it's actually a shorter distance to Hwy 407, it stay's on Jane st, it doesn't require two turns which will inevitably slow it down, it makes better connections to GO routes, and will make something useful of Hwy 407 station. 

Screen Shot 2018-01-21 at 4.15.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-21 at 4.14.16 PM.png

5 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Well, at least the proposed network doesn't include everyone's favourite napkin-and-crayon lines, B-D to Sherway (or Dixie, or Oakville, or St. Thomas, or ....) and Sheppard to Sheppard West.

Only reason I'd want to see Sheppard to Sheppard West is to have an alternate connection between the Yonge side of the YU and Wilson Yard, in the event something happens on the line and the trains are blocked at the start of service.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think @Streety McCarface has a point. Most of this discussion I was looking at it wrong, but now come to think of it, it makes some sense. Not only is 407 closer than PV,  but consider what you'd have to do at PV. You would have to build a terminal track, you would have to tunnel deeper, you'd have to build an entire platform for the actual terminus, and on top of that, it is farther than 407. And in the tunnel-boring business, every meter counts. That extra ~140 meters of boring would be costly, and other costs would accompany it. 

Whereas if you look at it if you were to complete Line 8 to 407, you could simply join Line 8 to the existing track of Line 1. The only issue I see with this idea is at 407, where the trains would terminate. What could be done is sharing the platforms, Line 1 to one side and Line 8 to the other etc.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

Boring tunnel is actually very cheap. One of the cheapest parts of subway building in fact.

Okay, sure (I may have misunderstood pricing re boring), but also consider the costs of tracking, signalling and other long term maintenance costs, not to mention the entirely new platforms and terminal tracks you'd have to add to that, when there is an existing stretch that already has what I mentioned a shorter distance away. 

15 hours ago, Archer said:

Only reason I'd want to see Sheppard to Sheppard West is to have an alternate connection between the Yonge side of the YU and Wilson Yard, in the event something happens on the line and the trains are blocked at the start of service.

Is this reasonably feasible without ripping up and redoing the junction at Sheppard-Yonge?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Streety McCarface said:

You ignored every other argument, and we have yet to see the full potential of the station. 

As you wish.

There is zero development potential between Steeles and Highway 407 station. This eliminates any point to the stay on Jane, shorter distance, and left turn positives. That is unless you plan to sell off public parkland and desecrate the dead for your transit idea which you better have a good dental plan if you suggest the idea to the general public. The GO argument is weak at best because you could reroute them to serve Pioneer Creek station and all but one of the GO bus routes terminate at York University anyways. If anything, you've made the argument that the Jane route should turn at Shoreham and serve both subway stops on the York U campus.

38 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

Is this reasonably feasible without ripping up and redoing the junction at Sheppard-Yonge?

So long as no more buildings with deep foundations get built in the Sheppard-Beecroft-Elmhurst-Yonge box.

5 minutes ago, skyfirenet said:

As you wish.

There is zero development potential between Steeles and Highway 407 station. This eliminates any point to the stay on Jane, shorter distance, and left turn positives. That is unless you plan to sell off public parkland and desecrate the dead for your transit idea which you better have a good dental plan if you suggest the idea to the general public. The GO argument is weak at best because you could reroute them to serve Pioneer Creek station and all but one of the GO bus routes terminate at York University anyways. If anything, you've made the argument that the Jane route should turn at Shoreham and serve both subway stops on the York U campus.

Are there even stops planned between Jane and Steeles & Pioneer village? they seem like they'd be close enough given an average walking distance to transit being 800 meters.