Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

14 minutes ago, wil9402 said:

If this is true Malvern must be losing more than just 57. How do you take on 102, 169 and 190 (38 runs at most during PM Peak) and lose only 57 (11 runs during PM Peak)? That's close to 30 extra buses/drivers needed. I pretty sure Malvern is at capacity just like all the other divisions so I don't see where these extra 30-40 buses (need extras to keep the current spare ratio) are going to be parked.

Doesn't matter. They can gain a route one board period and lose it the next.

We shall see in future board summaries then... Although once McNicoll opens, 57 might move yet again..

21 minutes ago, wil9402 said:

If this is true Malvern must be losing more than just 57. How do you take on 102, 169 and 190 (38 runs at most during PM Peak) and lose only 57 (11 runs during PM Peak)? That's close to 30 extra buses/drivers needed. I pretty sure Malvern is at capacity just like all the other divisions so I don't see where these extra 30-40 buses (need extras to keep the current spare ratio) are going to be parked.

There's that new garage by Malvern that should store the extra buses. 1810 Markham Rd. Again, another rumor.

Not sure the exact number but 50-70 drivers from Birchmount went to Malvern along with the 102.  All were voluntary,

nobody was forced.   169 has what 5 buses all day maybe?  So its basically a swap 190 for 57.   Again with the TTC you never know  it might never happen could be just a rumour.  We shall see.

4 hours ago, 0=0 said:

Not sure the exact number but 50-70 drivers from Birchmount went to Malvern along with the 102.  All were voluntary,

nobody was forced.   169 has what 5 buses all day maybe?  So its basically a swap 190 for 57.   Again with the TTC you never know  it might never happen could be just a rumour.  We shall see.

Don't forget the 10 VAN HORNE as well. Both the 10 and 169 were simultaneously moved from new Eg. to Wilson back in 2012. I wonder if the 10 is moved to Malvern along with the 169. 

5 hours ago, wil9402 said:

Can't they retain the 190 at New Eglinton while the 57 stays at Malvern? That will be a balanced move seeing the 21 is stuck at Birchmount rather than moving to Malvern or New Eglinton. Last time 21, 57, 102 were together at Malvern was around 1999. 

If they were to lose the 102 (and potentially the 21), what will the major Birchmount pick up? 

With Wilson lacking the all day express routes with the 196 gone, its unlikely to see the 199 operated from Wilson in the future. 

2 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

A malvern supervisor confirmed 190 will move to malvern since it is reducing the number of buses required on the 199.  As for 57 moving yo eglinton, i cannot confirm that at the moment.

So hold up, the only equipment the 57 will use is the LFS if its moved to New Eglinton? No wonder the last of the VIIs may disappear afterwards.

Apart from the 169 HUNTINGWOOD, 102 MARKHAM RD and 190 SCARBOROUGH CENTRE ROCKET reassigned to Malvern, are there any other route changes at Birchmount as well or other garages?

19 hours ago, D40-90 said:

There's that new garage by Malvern that should store the extra buses. 1810 Markham Rd. Again, another rumor.

8 hours ago, smallspy said:

That's definitely not a rumour.

Dan

Thanks for reminding me, I totally forgot about this plan. It makes sense now if Malvern picks up more runs than it gives away now since this would essentially be a satellite yard for Malvern.

5 hours ago, 0=0 said:

^^  Birchmount is getting some streetcar lines.   Sorry but i dont know exactly which ones at the moment.

You meant that Birchmount is taking over bustitution of those surface routes where buses are currently substituting for streetcars. Oh, almost thought that streetcars would actually operate out of Birchmount. That definitely won't happen even though it's only 4 km from the garage to Bingham Loop. And besides, Kingston would be clogged with streetcars heading to and from Birchmount if tracks were extended that way.

C’mon.  

We know what he meant.

its going to take several weeks, maybe a couple of months before the Markham road property is ready. They have to build a temporary bus access ramp between the employee parking lot and the west edge of the property...there’s about a 7’ grade difference. Expand the chain link security fencing to encircle the whole former dealership too. Right now the lot is about 1/3 outside its respective fence. Building Reno’s and upgrades will come later. Can be simply a secure parking area until then.

1 hour ago, Bus_Medic said:

C’mon.  

We know what he meant.

its going to take several weeks, maybe a couple of months before the Markham road property is ready. They have to build a temporary bus access ramp between the employee parking lot and the west edge of the property...there’s about a 7’ grade difference. Expand the chain link security fencing to encircle the whole former dealership too. Right now the lot is about 1/3 outside its respective fence. Building Reno’s and upgrades will come later. Can be simply a secure parking area until then.

No 102 short turn service to Malvern (Sheppard)? That branch (102B) existed before it got cancelled in November 2008. I wonder if they could reinstate that branch operated evenings during weekends and holidays under the "102G" label.

21 hours ago, 0=0 said:

Delete.

10 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

A malvern supervisor confirmed 190 will move to malvern since it is reducing the number of buses required on the 199.  As for 57 moving yo eglinton, i cannot confirm that at the moment.

How many buses is the 199 going to lose?

On 05/12/2017 at 12:25 PM, raptorjays said:

How bout SRT or Sheppard line? Those two lines have way fewer ridership level compared to BD line, and why BD line is the only line getting an reduction? 

Also, I'm suspecting you are a ttc employee.

I don't think it's just like 2 that gets altered service, I'm sure line 1 does also.

1 hour ago, MiWay0310 said:

As is the entire length of the tunnel north of Sheppard West, allowing you to preview the experience that will come to the rest of the subway network soon.

4 hours ago, MiWay0310 said:

Surprised as to why the other carriers haven't jumped onto this yet...any reason? Market would be huge, no?

When this was first launched, Wind got a 1 year exclusive contract with the company that installed/set up the network. Wind is now Freedom Mobile of course.

But that time has passed, I don't know why Bell/Rogers/Telus haven't signed a deal. I doubt that the TTC will let others duplicate infrastructure in the stations/tunnels.

• Thanks 1

Question, especially for any streetcar operators on here:

When crossing major intersections with intersecting streetcar tracks i.e. Church/King, some operators slow down to a creep but I've noticed others pound it right through. Why is that? Fear of derailment? I do know that the actual track depth is slightly reduced over the intersections compared to normal lines. Feels like the flanges would be super close to the ground. 

35 minutes ago, MiWay0310 said:

Question, especially for any streetcar operators on here:

When crossing major intersections with intersecting streetcar tracks i.e. Church/King, some operators slow down to a creep but I've noticed others pound it right through. Why is that? Fear of derailment? I do know that the actual track depth is slightly reduced over the intersections compared to normal lines. Feels like the flanges would be super close to the ground. 

It is procedure to not exceed 10 km/h through switches (facing and trailing) until the rear trucks have cleared any switches to lessen the possibility of derailments. However, some operators are either impatient or because they may be a bit late, don't take the time to do so and just fly through. Also, when two streetcars arrive at an intersection where there is a possibility that the tracks they are on can take them on a collision course with each other, the streetcar on the down trip has the right of way to enter and clear the intersection before the streetcar on the up trip may enter. This is to prevent the possibility of one car splitting or derailing over a switch and making contact with the other one.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Transit_Hub said:

Agreed, confused on why the bigger companies haven't jumped onto the opportunity for this yet.

Because the station infrastructure is not owned by the bigger companies, they would have to pay to utilize it. Apparently the big telecoms don't think they would get enough of an return (i.e. new customers) to justify the cost to access the infrastructure.

Wind/Freedom is a smaller company in a marketplace dominated by a few heavyweights, so they signed on in order to differentiate themselves from their competitors.

• Thanks 1