Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

4 hours ago, TheAverageJoe said:

Should still be I think its just stored there 

As of last time I was there (Aug. 8), the front portion of the red stripe seems to be yellow, and it seems like that the bus is being used as a storage shed (I think there was a sofa or something in there.)

On 13/08/2017 at 11:16 AM, Transit geek said:

Singapore is installing SelTrac on the North South and East West lines to replace its aging Westinghouse fixed-block signaling system. These two lines are the only ones which do not yet have CBTC installed (all newer lines already have CBTC, which is so advanced, it can run trains without operators on board). It has been undergoing weekday tests for several weeks and have had its fair share of problems as well. A web search should not take much efforts: I.e. "SMRT signaling problems".

It looks cute.

On my drive home today I saw the post on bus stop number 9780 (Steeles EB @ Kennedy) on the southwest corner of Steeles/Kennedy indicate route 43 as well as 53A/B/E/F/353, but as far as I'm aware, this stop doesn't serve the 43, which instead serves stop number 10511 (Kennedy NB @ Steeles) across the street on the southeast corner. I don't have a photo of it now, but I'm sure someone will come across this sooner enough considering it's in a highly patronized location.

Oddly enough, the TTC website has the same sort of indication at the corresponding page for this stop, listing 43 along with 353 under "also at this stop". The same problem doesn't exist at the westbound stop so I wonder if the TTC ought to know about this and perhaps fix it up to avoid confusion?

1 hour ago, Transit geek said:

On my drive home today I saw the post on bus stop number 9780 (Steeles EB @ Kennedy) on the southwest corner of Steeles/Kennedy indicate route 43 as well as 53A/B/E/F/353, but as far as I'm aware, this stop doesn't serve the 43, which instead serves stop number 10511 (Kennedy NB @ Steeles) across the street on the southeast corner. I don't have a photo of it now, but I'm sure someone will come across this sooner enough considering it's in a highly patronized location.

Oddly enough, the TTC website has the same sort of indication at the corresponding page for this stop, listing 43 along with 353 under "also at this stop". The same problem doesn't exist at the westbound stop so I wonder if the TTC ought to know about this and perhaps fix it up to avoid confusion?

There's many errors in the new bus stop.

The 52F westbound at Royal York and Lawrence is one of them. The 52F now makes a left onto RY (old looping serves it) hence the only routes that serve that stop are 52G/352.

There's another one I noticed but I don't recall where or what route. No one seem to had double checked the actually routes before posting them.

53 minutes ago, patricks said:

It's a problem. Some stops along Maple Leaf say they're served by the 59 and 52, but the 52 does not stop there.

There is one or two school trip(s) signed 52 or 52G (usually 52) that start at Maple Leaf/Jane and heads eastbound turning at Culford/Lawrence.

The trip ends at Lawrence Station so it should be signed 52 but it's considered as 2 trips on nextbus. 52G from Maple Leaf/Jane to Lawrence West and then a 52 trip from Lawrence West to Lawrence. It turns into a one of the 52ABF branches from there onwards.

They should definitely shouldn't have listed the 52 on those stops.

Now that you reminded me of school trips. The 45 Kipling at Rathburn southbound stop (NW corner NOT the 46/48 stop) has 45 and 46 listed. There is a scheduled 46E trip that is suppose to serve that stop. I don't know why they didn't list it as 46E but plain 46. In reality, the school trip never runs express (never signed 46E) and never serves that stop. I believe the 46E to Kipling Stn exists in the designation sign but I never seen it.

This has or hasn't discussed before but the TTC seems to introduce a new Fare Pass program for low-income and cheap persons who cannot afford to purchase a Presto card starting next spring in March which would mean tickets and tokens are abolished after the Presto rollout is complete. The fare would be on par with Student/Senior fare at $2. This was introduced last December by the City Council.

Do you think this is the right thing for homeless or disabled persons that can't buy a Presto Card to use a $2 fare? Many people use student/senior fare in place of an adult fare to avoid fare evasion.

3 hours ago, Antarctica said:

This has or hasn't discussed before but the TTC seems to introduce a new Fare Pass program for low-income and cheap persons who cannot Presto starting next spring in March which would mean tickets and tokens are abolished after the Presto rollout is complete. The fare would be on par with Student/Senior fare at $2. This was introduced last December by the City Council.

Do you think this is the right thing for homeless or disabled persons that can't buy a Presto Card to use a $2 fare? Many people use student/senior fare in place of an adult fare to avoid fare evasion.

The whole presto fare implementation is a huge problem. Metrolinx is doing this completely backwards. When a system introduce smart card, they do a test phase and a full rollout. TTC/Metrolinx is doing baby steps. Right now, getting a presto card is still a problem. There are way too little places that sell presto cards outside the system. Everything would have to be implemented in presto form. So we'll see what happens.

There is a few hurdles the TTC still has to solve:

1. Cash fares, POP receipt and transfers

2. Subway fare vending machines for distrubution

3. Places to set concessions (needed for this new fare pass)

4. Complaints and refund centre

For fare payment on buses, the only feasible solution is for the operator to issue RFID paper presto transfers. Instead of the current transfers, operators would be give a stack of non-validated (single use) paper presto cards. The op will tap it on a reader and hand it out. Otherwise, TTC would have to install a new farebox that splits one out. That's more money on equipment and a higher chance of equipment failure resorting to lost fare. 

At subway station, they'll have to sell non-reloadable paper presto cards. Just watch, the system will be littered with these paper cards. It's worst than current transfers as they aren't recycleable. Cash fare would have to go up to discourage people from buying stacks of these non-recyclable product that includes the cost of the card. Everyone on buses paying cash fare would have to suffer as they need a transfer card. TTC wants to enforce POP everywhere like Vancouver and Montreal are doing. As for streetcars, they'll need a new vending machine that splits these paper presto transfers out as people would need them to transfer to the subway or buses. Will riders have to tap these paper presto card when transferring to streetcars? 

As for any passes, they could be stored in paper form or on presto cards. The cheaper and more durable way is to give eligible riders a presto card. I would imagine it would be hard to keep a paper card undamaged for the entire month.

The stupid thing is everything would have to be tapped against a machine to know it's valid or not. Otherwise they'll have to check online (after a few hours). Inspectors will have to tap transfers :o

5 hours ago, smallspy said:

Really? Got proof to support this?

It is an odd claim. You can hear Presto beep differently for concessions. You don't hear it that often compared to a regular one, and when I do, I look up. I'm yet to see an obvious case of someone who wouldn't pass as a student, or less often, as a senior.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

It is an odd claim. You can hear Presto beep differently for concessions. You don't hear it that often compared to a regular one, and when I do, I look up. I'm yet to see an obvious case of someone who wouldn't pass as a student, or less often, as a senior.

The stupid thing is post-secondary concession (for GO discount) charges adult fare but beeps like you got a discount. You can't even tell what they're paying. It could be a child concession for free.

There's fresh concrete in the closed-off section of the Islington station bus bays. I wonder if it's just to seal the slab, or whether there's a plan to actually reopen bays 1 and 2. Trying to route multiple bus routes through the platforms is pretty messy. It was even worse when the unloading concourse was closed for some work. Everyone, getting on or off, had to share the narrow loading platform stairways.

TTC wants service restored on Kingston Rd instead of visiting Variety Village in late evenings when the place is closed. The 12A will be replaced by the 12B and 302 will have a route change.

http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2017/September_5/Reports/11_12_Kingston_Rd-Service_to_Variety_Village_Post-Implementa.pdf

Here are the reasons:

• Operators occasionally operating the wrong branch of service by mistake 

• Delays on route that result in service adjustments, causing missed trips

• Route branch structure that makes it difficult to adjust service

Operators (especially unfamiliar ones) sometimes make these mistakes. Especially with multiple branches and differences in night routing. A good example is the 352 eastbound going through Dixon and Royal York (like the daytime 52) instead of turning south and then wast on Lawrence. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Ed T. said:

There's fresh concrete in the closed-off section of the Islington station bus bays. I wonder if it's just to seal the slab, or whether there's a plan to actually reopen bays 1 and 2. Trying to route multiple bus routes through the platforms is pretty messy. It was even worse when the unloading concourse was closed for some work. Everyone, getting on or off, had to share the narrow loading platform stairways.

They have shore up the ceiling area in front of the south fare booth with beams and columns and currently been box in. Its hard to say what is taking place for the concourse level since a number of things are taking place behind walls.

On 2017-09-01 at 3:58 AM, Xtrazsteve said:

TTC wants service restored on Kingston Rd instead of visiting Variety Village in late evenings when the place is closed. The 12A will be replaced by the 12B and 302 will have a route change

Why would a cost-negative/revenue positive change like this take until April 2018 to implement???

53 minutes ago, dowlingm said:

Why would a cost-negative/revenue positive change like this take until April 2018 to implement???

That's a valid question. While there's no way for them to institute the changes for the next couple of board periods (the September board starts Sunday, October board is currently out to bid, November/December is likely written), there doesn't seem to be a reason why they couldn't have them take effect in January.

Dan

3 hours ago, Antarctica said:

In response to Edmonton's recent announcement on buying electric buses in 2020, could there be a possibility that the TTC will test an electric bus (NovaBUS, New Flyer, BYD) in the future? I wonder if McNicoll Garage could be built with electric charging stations.

They'll have to test them on different routes to see if they are suitable.

TTC has some very demanding runs that goes out at 4am and comes back at 5am the next morning. The same bus can be refuelled and be assigned to another run at 7am. Arrow division usually would assign them on AM rush runs so they can come back at 10am. Eglinton division I think would let them out for another 10 hours. Obviously the battery won't able to charge within in 2 hours. Even questionable is if the battery would last past midnight.

TTC might need to increase the spare ratio to 25-30% to make up for all the recharging buses. Otherwise rewrite all the schedules which increases cost with more deadheading. All the fuel saving could be gone with more wage hours.

Community Bus Pilot

Beginning September 5, 2017 TTC will run a nine-month Community Bus Pilot to test service enhancements along two routes – 400 Lawrence Manor and 404 East York. The buses operating along the pilot routes will run hourly and stop at additional destinations. This project aims to increase ridership, by providing customers with a more convenient and accessible travel option for getting around their neighbourhood easily. 

Key Community Bus pilot improvements

New community bus

400 Lawrence Manor 

Schedule

Stops at Humber River Regional Hospital, Villa Colombo seniors’ residence, and North York Plaza near Keele/Lawrence, as well as other destinations along its extended route. 

Route Map of the 400 Lawrence Manor

404 East York

Schedule

Stops at Coxwell Subway Station, No Frills, Fresh Co., Main Street Library, Norman Houghton Complex, Community Centre 55, and The Beaches, as well as other destinations along its extended route.

In addition, buses along both pilot routes have a new look.  Keep an eye out for these newly refinished buses.

Route Map for the 404 East York

Route Changes

While Community Bus will travel along an extended route during the Pilot, there will be a few small parts of the old routes that will no longer be serviced. These changes were made only along streets where no passengers, or very few, got on the bus; and where there are other accessible conventional buses running nearby.  Here is a list of areas no longer served and alternative buses nearby: 400 Lawrence Manor and 404 East York. 

Route changes along 400 Lawrence Manor and 404 East York will remain in effect until a full assessment of the Pilot is complete in mid-2018.

http://www.ttc.ca/communitybus/index.jsp

• Like 1