Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

10 hours ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

What is the strange font used on the vehicle numbers on 4117?

There are a few streetcars with oddball fonts and/or locations. I'm still hoping to see the 1970's Futura numbers come back. --Keep waiting, you say?? :lol:

1 hour ago, TTC T6H-5307N 2252 said:

Speaking of a classic, I heard someone spotted maybe this one on the GO milton line on here a while back?

That someone is Seth Greer...  Also I don't think that it's relevant to this topic, as it points out TTC

Not sure if this has been brought up already, but today I saw a TTC vehicle in York Region heading southbound, saying on its desto: "EXTRA FARE REQUIRED AT STEELES" instead of "EXTRA FARE REQUIRED NORTH OF STEELES". I presume this change has been made a while back since the Luminator panel upgrades, but as always, I could be wrong. It does make complete sense to me, though, based on how the TTC/YRT fare policy works on these contracted services.

4 hours ago, Transit geek said:

Not sure if this has been brought up already, but today I saw a TTC vehicle in York Region heading southbound, saying on its desto: "EXTRA FARE REQUIRED AT STEELES" instead of "EXTRA FARE REQUIRED NORTH OF STEELES". I presume this change has been made a while back since the Luminator panel upgrades, but as always, I could be wrong. It does make complete sense to me, though, based on how the TTC/YRT fare policy works on these contracted services.

This was changed MONTHS ago.

8 hours ago, Transit geek said:

3 hours ago, Hexagonal 10 said:

This was changed MONTHS ago.

That is not correct. AFAIK the northbound destination has always (and continues to) display "... NORTH OF STEELES" as part of the regular route programming. As the southbound routes do not have an exposure automatically programmed in for the extra fare, there is been a separate PR code that the operator may choose to input that displays "... AT STEELES".

The "... AT STEELES" message may be a bit more recent but has been around for at least the 10+ years I've been in the hobby. The wording of the "... NORTH OF STEELES' code has never been changed since Luminator Horizon signs were introduced into the fleet circa 2002.

15 hours ago, Articulated said:

That is not correct. AFAIK the northbound destination has always (and continues to) display "... NORTH OF STEELES" as part of the regular route programming. As the southbound routes do not have an exposure automatically programmed in for the extra fare, there is been a separate PR code that the operator may choose to input that displays "... AT STEELES".

The "... AT STEELES" message may be a bit more recent but has been around for at least the 10+ years I've been in the hobby. The wording of the "... NORTH OF STEELES' code has never been changed since Luminator Horizon signs were introduced into the fleet circa 2002.

The signs for the southbound branches have definitely had some sort of "...NORTH OF STEELES" wording in them going back to the introduction of the Luminator displays on TTC buses in the early 1990s. It is very seldom used and seen however, as almost all operators use the base route return code, and not the specific branch one.

If there is a PR message that can be added, that sounds like it would be a newer addition to the programming.

Dan

On 6/25/2017 at 2:01 PM, TTC T6H-5307N 2252 said:

Speaking of a classic, I heard someone spotted maybe this one on the GO milton line on here a while back?

I posted about a Classic on the Milton line a few months back, and no, it was one in the TTC livery. It was in a property just west of the 427 and I was asking here if someone knew the fleet number or what they were doing with the bus.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

I posted about a Classic on the Milton line a few months back, and no, it was one in the TTC livery. It was in a property just west of the 427 and I was asking here if someone knew the fleet number or what they were doing with the bus.

Will it be accessible from streetview on google maps? 

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to get a non-stop ride from Lake Shore to Claireport on the interlined 76/73.

I assume that at the south end the bus will be signed 76.

My question is, how can I tell if it's going to change to a 73C, instead of a B or D which I don't want? Is there a list of run numbers? Or do I have to ask the operator? (It would be kind of a strange question southbound on Royal York at Lake Shore.) :rolleyes:

• Like 1

On 7/21/2017 at 10:33 AM, Ed T. said:

I'd like to get a non-stop ride from Lake Shore to Claireport on the interlined 76/73.

My question is, how can I tell if it's going to change to a 73C, instead of a B or D which I don't want? Is there a list of run numbers? Or do I have to ask the operator? (It would be kind of a strange question southbound on Royal York at Lake Shore.) :rolleyes:

If you have an app, you can always check the next bus fleet number at lake shore and also check at Bloor. Match the fleet number.

The 73B/76B are always interlined. They both run at 30 min headways. You can't get a 73B/76A bus.

On 2017-7-21 at 1:33 PM, Ed T. said:

On weekends, the 73D doesnt operate, so getting on at lake shore on a weekend pretty much garuntees getting a 73C bus.

Thanks for the ideas. I'm most likely to do this on a weekday afternoon after work.

Actually doing it the other way works best. Starting from Kipling station after work, around 2:45, catch a 191, and transfer to some 96 at Humber College, or maybe go to Steeles if possible and hoof it over to old Claireville from Highway 27.

By definition, any southbound early rush-hour run starting from Claireport should turn into a 76A, taking me to Lake Shore, where I can catch a 501 home. :)

(The TTC trip planner insists that I should take 45A north, and catch a 73. That's so much slower than the 191/96 combo. Hmph.)

(Surprisingly, this combo isn't even the longest route west of Yonge. The 96D beats the 73/76 round trip distance by 410 metres. I doubt if there are others, though.)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's not quite a 75 minute one-seat from Claireport at Albion Road to Mimico at Lake Shore. The two operators (relief at Bloor) weren't in the biggest hurry.

Couple of observations:

1. The top end of Albion Road, between Steeles and 27, gets quite a bit of riders. It must have been quitting time for a number of local warehouses and industries.
  2. The stop for southbound 76 riders is the existing one south of Bloor. To get to and from the station, that requires crossing of both Bloor and Royal York, and that's not so quick. The big crowd waiting for buses at that stop didn't look very pleased with the whole concept.

9 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Well, it's not quite a 75 minute one-seat from Claireport at Albion Road to Mimico at Lake Shore. The two operators (relief at Bloor) weren't in the biggest hurry.

Couple of observations:

1. The top end of Albion Road, between Steeles and 27, gets quite a bit of riders. It must have been quitting time for a number of local warehouses and industries.
  2. The stop for southbound 76 riders is the existing one south of Bloor. To get to and from the station, that requires crossing of both Bloor and Royal York, and that's not so quick. The big crowd waiting for buses at that stop didn't look very pleased with the whole concept.

I think they need more service on Albion. The 73C is too infrequent. The 73D replacing the 73A help a bit with better service to the commercial area south of the 401.

Very few people would transfer between 73 and 76. Same with 15 and 48. I'm not surprise if everyone gets off the bus at Bloor.

7 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

I think they need more service on Albion. The 73C is too infrequent. The 73D replacing the 73A help a bit with better service to the commercial area south of the 401.

Very few people would transfer between 73 and 76. Same with 15 and 48. I'm not surprise if everyone gets off the bus at Bloor.

There's also the 73B to Eglinton. I wonder how many riders it gets, and who exactly it serves.

I wonder if the Weston bus should be extended along Albion. I'd say that the busiest portion of the 73 I rode was on Albion and Weston, and it got pretty quiet south of Dixon. The Weston bus runs where it does because that's where the trolley coaches ran, and the trolley coaches ran there because the Weston streetcar ran (almost) as far. I'm just not sure how far Weston should run.

That farside stop southbound is also where most of the 73 riders got off, yes. They had to deal with the kitty-corner crossing of Bloor and Royal York. The stop should be on the nearside "for customer convenience". I can think of some reasons they'd move it farside, but I don't think it's a good tradeoff.

16 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

When did Runnymede station lose its green sign? It now has the modern, generic "Line 2" sign over the doors.

On the runnymede road side, it has had a newer sign for years, they put it in when they put in the sliding doors. I dont know exactly when they changed it to the line 2 sign. The kennedy ave side still has a green sign as far as i know, unless they changed it in the last few days.

20170419_164447.jpg

1 hour ago, H4 5600 said:

On the runnymede road side, it has had a newer sign for years, they put it in when they put in the sliding doors. I dont know exactly when they changed it to the line 2 sign. The kennedy ave side still has a green sign as far as i know, unless they changed it in the last few days.

20170419_164447.jpg

Ah, my mistake. I rode into the station on a 71 a few days ago (from Runnymede Road, of course). And then I quickly looked at google streetview, which shows the green sign, but is actually the Kennedy side of the building, not the Runnymede Road side.

• Like 1