Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

3 hours ago, FlyerD901 said:

I highly doubt this TTC service would materialize unless the city funds it.

The could take the 12C and run it into the park but the 12C doesn't run on weekends when demand is high. I don't think anyone regular riders want to take a 10 minute detour with the 12A/B. Furthermore, there isn't a stop at Barkdene Hills and Brimley. I once got the driver to let me off there and it takes 15 minutes to walk in. It's better if they ran a dedicated bus like the 28 to Brick Works.

Well, based on what you said, it will start off as a seasonal route, or seasonal branch off of 12. I doubt they have the ridership to justify a dedicated route, but with the length it would take to a Subway, it may be possible because it will serve two purposes. One for the bluffs, and any capacity increase along a corridor to Warden, Kennedy or Vic Park stations.

Or just extend the 12C to the bluffs, seasonally.

The problem is the 12C doesn't operate during weekends with the 12B replacing it with a headway of 34 minutes. If they do run one of the branches into the bluff, through trips with the 12A would be at 34 minutes headway. The 12C takes about 30 minutes to get to Vic Park from Brimley/Kingston Rd. It's not going to be as attractive taking the bus from Kennedy. From the west end, it's fastest to take the 9/16/102 from Warden and walk in from St Clair/Brimley right now.

7 hours ago, IRT_BMT_IND said:

I wonder how much it would cost for the parks department to charter a cutaway like the brickworks does?

The TTC could try something like the 28A to the Brickworks, a branch of the 12, 9 or 102 running to the bluffs every 30 minutes on weekends.

TBH, I prefer the 12 via Brimley needs to be split off as its own route in a form of "27 BRIMLEY SOUTH" unless they could cut the 12 back to St. Clair/Barkdene Hills or extend the route to Eglinton and Markham where the 116B loops during peak periods as an option. How would the 12 KINGSTON RD restructuring will look like along with the new route 27?

- 12A Victoria Park Stn.-St. Clair/Barkdene Hills

- 12B Victoria Park Stn.-St. Clair/Barkdene Hills via Variety Village

- 27A Kennedy Stn.-Kingston Rd. (St. Clair/Barkdene Hills) (All periods)

- 27B Kennedy Stn.-Bluffers Park (Seasonal)

My two cents.

6 hours ago, IRT_BMT_IND said:

Kingston Road is a mess, it's probably the only major commercial street in the city without a gridlined bus route. Maybe with the Eglinton LRT they can restructure the service.

Yes it is. The entire southern Scarborough network is designed for getting to the subway.

We got the 502/503 that brings you to different locations in peak. 502 in midday and then a 22A at night. Good thing it's not a popular tourist place or people would be confused.

The 12A/B/C are strangely setup. The Variety Village split added to the mess too. 

Then we got the 69 which runs in two different directions from Warden. Pretty sure people rather take that then the 12 if they can.

I don't think a single route from like UTSC down to Queen would be that attractive. The TTC did having a 114 route drawn on the SmartTrack service integration plan. It's the old 114 Kingston Rd East route with it running from Warden Station up Kingston Rd and the 86D looping. It would only succeed if ST uses TTC fares and RER doesn't.

So now the TTC has responded to my communication about the Long Branch loop shelter that "bus shelters are installed and managed by the City of Toronto".  :rolleyes:

I wonder if the shelter will indeed be fixed by the end of February. At this rate, at least the sign shop is getting good business.

12 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Yes it is. The entire southern Scarborough network is designed for getting to the subway.

We got the 502/503 that brings you to different locations in peak. 502 in midday and then a 22A at night. Good thing it's not a popular tourist place or people would be confused.

The 12A/B/C are strangely setup. The Variety Village split added to the mess too. 

Then we got the 69 which runs in two different directions from Warden. Pretty sure people rather take that then the 12 if they can.

I don't think a single route from like UTSC down to Queen would be that attractive. The TTC did having a 114 route drawn on the SmartTrack service integration plan. It's the old 114 Kingston Rd East route with it running from Warden Station up Kingston Rd and the 86D looping. It would only succeed if ST uses TTC fares and RER doesn't.

Only thing that could work out be another downtown express route that would work as a one seat ride for people that travel in that area to downtown core. Again but how many people in that area would use the service is another story.

21 minutes ago, TheAverageJoe said:

Only thing that could work out be another downtown express route that would work as a one seat ride for people that travel in that area to downtown core. Again but how many people in that area would use the service is another story.

They'll probably end up worst than the 145. Once you reach Eglinton the 86E/198 takes over. The question is what happen to planning for the Kingston Rd BRT.

39 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

They'll probably end up worst than the 145. Once you reach Eglinton the 86E/198 takes over. The question is what happen to planning for the Kingston Rd BRT.

It would have to run from Eglinton and Kingston and head West/South from there. Again I do not think it would work either

While doing a bit of research on the history of the shelter at Long Branch loop, I found this neat photo at transittoronto.org:

ttc-long-branch-loop-19281203.jpg

It was built as part of the installation of the "modern" loop in 1928. Is there any older passenger facility on the TTC? Only the various carhouses and Hillcrest shops are older than this, that I can think of.

• Like 1

Today's extra service are dispatched  by garage.

subway shuttles are done by Bitchmount and Queensway

7 - Extra artics from Mount Dennis and Marlven. They put artics on regular runs too by take artics that normally dispatch to 29.

29 - Artics mostly removed due to increase 7 service.

32 - Extra short-turn branch operated by Mount Dennis.

52 - one marlven hybrid is doing extra Not sure what else.

84 - Wilson did extra short-turn branch.

96 - Marlven division did extra shot-turn branch.

Good to note that Arrow and Eglinton didn't dispatch there buses to shuttle today.

15 hours ago, Viva5113 said:

7 - Extra artics from Mount Dennis and Marlven. They put artics on regular runs too by take artics that normally dispatch to 29.

Good to note that Arrow and Eglinton didn't dispatch there buses to shuttle today.

You missed a lot. Arrow did dispatch artics on the 7 and had extras on the 96. This is the first time all 4 artic division had buses on the same route (Wilson is base). Previously shuttles with artics were provided by only 3 division.

There were 3 4 Malvern and 2 Queensway novas on the 52. (edit: forgot 1218 was a Malvern bus)

There was a Queensway novas on the 127.

Wilson and Eglinton had buses in the shuttle too.

All extras dispatch in the morning heads home around 2pm. Another round are dispatched before then. Finally a 3rd round shows up after dinner time.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, H4 5600 said:

new next bus screens showing up in bus shelters. I like the look of it, lets hope they work well.   

http://imgur.com/a/oxz0J

It's been there over a month now.

From @TTCnotice 

C2vRo5ZVIAAXx55.jpg

Clearly a Bmount bus has made it on the 84

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2vEnHOUsAA7jci.jpg

And an Eglinton bus on the shuttle

19 hours ago, Viva5113 said:

Eglinton send buses for the subway shuttle yesterday and today.

They had a couple of Bmount buses on the 109 this afternoon. Malvern didn't put out artics. Arrow and MtD had an handful but significantly less than yesterday. The 7 had pretty of capacity which means people aren't utilizing it. 

The extras weren't well managed at all. They are often bunched with regular buses. Of course there is confusion where people think the extras will proceed west of the Spadina line. Due to the increased ridership between the two subway lines, larger gaps are sometimes created on the regular routes but no buses were use to fill those gaps going westward. Maybe one day they'll remember everyone and have some buses do extras to maybe Keele or Jane on the 32/52/96/84 when there is a gap instead of having a 109 extra follow the regular 109 and claim extra service is provided.

• Like 2

This is something the TTC regularly does so it doesnt surprise me one bit; this is the same TTC that claims that downtown traffic causes bunching on routes like the 501. Fast forward 1 year, and you'll see the same non-sense happening again with replacement buses. I dont think they understand the concept of line management at all.

13 hours ago, lip said:

This is something the TTC regularly does so it doesnt surprise me one bit; this is the same TTC that claims that downtown traffic causes bunching on routes like the 501. Fast forward 1 year, and you'll see the same non-sense happening again with replacement buses. I dont think they understand the concept of line management at all.

Yes, the 501L buses often run in pairs, starting from the terminals. And at any given time, at least two 501L buses are laying over on Lake Shore just before Long Branch loop. I'm waiting for sunnier and warmer weather; I'm sure it would be possible to get a picture of four 501L buses parked in a row if I waited for a bit.

I have been on a 501L that was told to hold for six minutes. That was in the evening. So sometimes CIS does take a look at what they're doing.

8 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Yes, the 501L buses often run in pairs, starting from the terminals. And at any given time, at least two 501L buses are laying over on Lake Shore just before Long Branch loop. I'm waiting for sunnier and warmer weather; I'm sure it would be possible to get a picture of four 501L buses parked in a row if I waited for a bit.

I have been on a 501L that was told to hold for six minutes. That was in the evening. So sometimes CIS does take a look at what they're doing.

Way to much running time....even if you do 30 km/h your still +++

On 22/01/2017 at 7:12 PM, Xtrazsteve said:

They had a couple of Bmount buses on the 109 this afternoon. Malvern didn't put out artics. Arrow and MtD had an handful but significantly less than yesterday. The 7 had pretty of capacity which means people aren't utilizing it. 

The extras weren't well managed at all. They are often bunched with regular buses. Of course there is confusion where people think the extras will proceed west of the Spadina line. Due to the increased ridership between the two subway lines, larger gaps are sometimes created on the regular routes but no buses were use to fill those gaps going westward. Maybe one day they'll remember everyone and have some buses do extras to maybe Keele or Jane on the 32/52/96/84 when there is a gap instead of having a 109 extra follow the regular 109 and claim extra service is provided.

I  did a 52 shuttle. Only a few full standing loads to Yonge. Pretty much a ping pong ball all day. Tough for them to manage and stay out of regular services way. Supervisors weren't allowing layovers at either station and passengers all confused. At first they told us use a 52G sign to operate from Law to Law west but later changed that to 52S....both were confusing to passengers. Shuttles northbound seemed to operate fine. Extra 127s were a complete waste also and could have been utilized better elsewhere....

25 minutes ago, andyman said:

Way to much running time....even if you do 30 km/h your still +++

I  did a 52 shuttle. Only a few full standing loads to Yonge. Pretty much a ping pong ball all day. Tough for them to manage and stay out of regular services way. Supervisors weren't allowing layovers at either station and passengers all confused. At first they told us use a 52G sign to operate from Law to Law west but later changed that to 52S....both were confusing to passengers. Shuttles northbound seemed to operate fine. Extra 127s were a complete waste also and could have been utilized better elsewhere....

There were a lot more people on the 52 this time than previous closures thanks to ending the shuttle there. TTC though express buses would ever be worst and didn't want people to see buses run past them on the street in winter. It could used more service next time. I think there were way too many artics on the 7 last Saturday.

In previous closures, Queensway extras always used 32D/52G going westbound between the stations. It is very confusing. I don't know why they removed the 52S to Lawrence West Station sign when they created all the 52 branches. I don't think people would actually read through.

I don't really know how TTC plans stuff. They all in a sudden decided that the 191's need a "via Humber College" line. Of course the 188 goes to Humber College too. Just a different campus.