Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

7 hours ago, nfitz said:

On that door issue.  CBC is reporting that it was human error and an employee will be disciplined.

And also the door problem was simply caused by normal wear and tear on the door tread.  http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ttc-meeting-discipline-subway-doors-stuck-open-1.3608643

Guess you guys are right. The idiot got fired.

1 hour ago, H4 5600 said:

Why does it seem like most Orion's don't have  good AC?  I rode one (an 80XX) on 66 this morning, and the AC broke shortly after I got on. It started to get hot inside. I also rode 1655 and 1576 in the last few days (they were either on 71 or 79) and the AC was busted. Those 2 were so hot that people were leaving and asking the driver for a transfer to get in the next bus. These aren't the only ones I have rode in the last few weeks with bad or busted AC.

it depends on division, Malvern is pretty good at it.  So is Eglinton.  Can't speak for other divisions as I rarely ride other division buses.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Guess you guys are right. The idiot got fired.

I still recall I have been on moving trains with a door suddenly open in the tunnel (WB towards Royal York) back in the 1990's. Nobody got panic, the train continued on in full speed and people simply reported to the guard at the next station. The train went out of service then, that was it and I think the guard was still around after the incident.

12 hours ago, FlyerD901 said:

Depends what kind of train that was, some trains have a feature that won't allow the doors to on while the train is in motion.

Not some trains - all subway trains. But there are also ways to bypass this in case of emergencies.

Dan

I just realized while driving along Eglinton yesterday between Leslie and Don Mills, that the Special Constables carry out radar traps with radar guns on operators. I saw the cruiser with a guy in a blue shirt holding up the gun and a guy holding paper and a pen.

3 hours ago, Kenster102.5 said:

I just realized while driving along Eglinton yesterday between Leslie and Don Mills, that the Special Constables carry out radar traps with radar guns on operators. I saw the cruiser with a guy in a blue shirt holding up the gun and a guy holding paper and a pen.

Not radar, but Lidar... info can be found in this report: https://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Committee_meetings/Audit_Risk_Management/2016/Feb10/Reports/AUDIT_REPORT_TRANSIT_ENFORCEMENT_UNIT.pdf&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwium9virYfNAhUJ5oMKHZe-Bb0QFggOMAE&sig2=GKIqX0TSjauvFUWUuJ7MyA&usg=AFQjCNFlnsptAvdhkFYrtltnIY1o6sXOMQ ... The program is targeted at TTC vehicles only (obviously), to ensure safe operation and add a level of compliance assurance beyond what random TPS checkpoints for all road users can deliver. 

5 hours ago, smallspy said:

Not some trains - all subway trains. But there are also ways to bypass this in case of emergencies.

Dan

We can still operate a train with the No Motion bypassed. But these days Transit Control would just take us out of service.

1 hour ago, FlyerD901 said:

We can still operate a train with the No Motion bypassed. But these days Transit Control would just take us out of service.

Of course you can. But there's a process with which you have to follow in order to do it - it's not just a matter of saying "fuck it, drive on".

Dan

• Like 3

Obviously T/C is called, that's an obvious given, for any TTC employee we are all trained to do that and procedures to follow. Also making sure everything is on record is another reason to call T/C, so its in the best interest for everyone involved.  I don't think that mentality of "fuck it, drive on" has been at TTC in subways in over 20 years and even then there was disciplinary action for violations. That's too ignorant, especially in this day and age. I don't believe anyone would think that way in subways or any working environments dealing with the safety of a mass of people, not with intent anyways, not sure where that came from...

Things happen, follow procedures the least you can do. There's almost literally procedures for every scenario possible at TTC. Even if you don't know or you forget, there's procedures for that.

Do you think when will be the best time to start using presto card?

I live in Etobicoke, and the TTC says all buses in the Queensway division has presto machines.

I mostly commute to downtown and school as well (Downtown streetcar has presto machine)

I'm thinking about using presto from September when I start my new year in my school.

Is it ok to use right now? or should I just have to wait until it is available throughout the system?

Metropass is too pricy...

7 minutes ago, raptorjays said:

Do you think when will be the best time to start using presto card?

I live in Etobicoke, and the TTC says all buses in the Queensway division has presto machines.

I mostly commute to downtown and school as well (Downtown streetcar has presto machine)

In this case I dont see why not. All stations in the core are Presto equipped, and all streetcars are equipped as well. The only thing that would be a potential hindrance is that Arrow Road buses are not fully equipped yet, but that will change in the coming weeks.

1 hour ago, Ed T. said:

I think they'll have to. Just like GO waived the fee when the two and ten ride tickets were phased out. The $6 is unreasonably high in my opinion. I'm waiting for free.

Octopus card in HK is $50, so it's not THAT unreasonably high.

If anything YRT always has free Presto events throughout the year.

3 hours ago, vivablue5215 said:

Octopus card in HK is $50, so it's not THAT unreasonably high.

If anything YRT always has free Presto events throughout the year.

But you can refund it. Same with the Vancouver Compass card. Presto forces you to buy a new one if yours break and is an unwise choice for tourists.

5 hours ago, Ed T. said:

I think they'll have to. Just like GO waived the fee when the two and ten ride tickets were phased out. The $6 is unreasonably high in my opinion. I'm waiting for free.

TTC mention that they can't afford to give away cards. YRT chose to subsidize for their citizens. I'm not sure if they ask for proof of residence if you try to get a fee waived card. Well YRT is running radio ads telling people to take the bus too. They like spending money to gain riders. 

On Sunday, May 08, 2016 at 3:42 PM, Vbao Lu said:
On Thursday, June 02, 2016 at 1:22 PM, Shaun said:

There is this company called JET that seems to fix TTC buses. It seems to be NG's only. 

othereorionDoes anyone know what work gets done to the buses there?

Orion 7 of and diesel 77xx 78xx also get work done over there.  I think I saw a couple of Nova lfs there too but I can't  remeber