Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

It's a shame. Before i disliked the d40LF's passionately, but i'd take them any day over the Nova LFS. The LFS is just an oddly designed bus from head to toe, and the interior seating arrangement the TTC has gone with in the 40 footers doesnt help things out.

Its funny how every time I go to Toronto, I prefer to ride a D40LF although I could ride one any time in Mississauga. :D

Those buses are great. Ill defiantly miss them once they're gone.

The Flyers are pretty fast, they close the door and zoom away. The LFSes on the other hand takes a second to open the doors and a few more seconds before they close.

I blame them location of the wheels that reduced the number of seats on the LFSes. The 2 seats right behind the driver is awkward. I never seat there as I don't like staring at a wall. They should have made those two seats rear facing.The lack of 2 seats between the second wheelchair seats and the rear door is unfortunate. There isn't enough space for seats even if they chose the narrower doors. The rear facing seats are awkward. The Van Hool buses on VIVA have rear facing seats but it isn't as bad. I would love if Nova buses have those large windows.

What the TTC should have chosen is to have wheel chair positions on both sides of the bus. The 2nd wheel chair row should be converted into 2+2 front facing seats. This could be quite cramp especially with those huge strollers people bring on the bus. The Orion VII NGs actually have the best seat layout for low floor buses. Of course Fishbowls top all of them.

What the TTC should have chosen is to have wheel chair positions on both sides of the bus. The 2nd wheel chair row should be converted into 2+2 front facing seats. This could be quite cramp especially with those huge strollers people bring on the bus. The Orion VII NGs actually have the best seat layout for low floor buses. Of course Fishbowls top all of them.

Whoever was responsible for planning the seating arrangements for the 40 foot Novas did a really bad job. I wont even sugar coat it, it just doesnt work at all. The best part is that we're getting 200+ of them and they'll be around for years to come.

Whoever was responsible for planning the seating arrangements for the 40 foot Novas did a really bad job. I wont even sugar coat it, it just doesnt work at all. The best part is that we're getting 200+ of them and they'll be around for years to come.

Novas just isn't good for TTC's layout. If TTC went with the LFS artic layout, there would only be 30 seats instead of 33. The D40LFs have 35, Orion VII NG have 36 and the OG VIIs have 38. The fishbowls, RTSes and the 6640 series Orion Vs have 39.

The 8510s are stated to have 33 seats just like the 8400s. I don't expect any changes if they get more novas. I think TTC figured out that no one stands at the back anyways. Maybe they should just move both wheelchair bench seats to the left side. The Flyers XD40 would let TTC design a better seat layout than the novas. There is no way to fix the LFS bus design. Just saying.

With low floor buses on the market, it would really be nice to have 45ft. buses. It will make up the lost of seats.

With low floor buses on the market, it would really be nice to have 45ft. buses. It will make up the lost of seats.

Or NFI can acquire Nova Bus the same way they've been acquiring all of their competition and the TTC will have no choice but to go with New Flyer's ;) .

That will never happen though unless Volvo screws up Nova Bus as badly as Daimler did with Orion.

Novas just isn't good for TTC's layout. If TTC went with the LFS artic layout, there would only be 30 seats instead of 33. The D40LFs have 35, Orion VII NG have 36 and the OG VIIs have 38. The fishbowls, RTSes and the 6640 series Orion Vs have 39.

The artic buses have another section, so comparing the seating to the 40' is moot

The lift-equipped Orion Vs had a very good seating layout. I didn't ride the non-lift ones enough to comment. The RTS had at least two seats (rear corners) that aren't usable by someone with legs. However, the "legless children" of Ford Mustang fame may fit in there.

There are plenty of awkward seats on the OG Orion VII that are only filled as a last resort, such as the ones stuck behind the raised wheelwell pairs.

Counting seats is only one measure. Another is how the bus handles crowds where some people are standing.

I think rear doors should have some spikes to discourage mouth-breathers from using the door area as their favourite standing spot. On so many Orion VIIs with their outward-swinging doors, there are two people loitering in the door area, one with chin tucked over the forward barrier, the other lounging against the back barrier. If my backpack gives them a thump as I squeeze by these louts to get off, so be it. Big heavy safety boots help too.

There are plenty of awkward seats on the OG Orion VII that are only filled as a last resort, such as the ones stuck behind the raised wheelwell pairs.

I sit on those exact seats on the OG VIIs all the time, it actually isn't that awkward, for me it's better because chances are my knee won't be pressed up against the seat in front of me when I get those seats

Or NFI can acquire Nova Bus the same way they've been acquiring all of their competition and the TTC will have no choice but to go with New Flyer's ;) .

That will never happen though unless Volvo screws up Nova Bus as badly as Daimler did with Orion.

Nova is really taking over in the last few years. NFI must be under bidding to keep up, and not lose any customers. lol

The 8510s are stated to have 33 seats just like the 8400s. I don't expect any changes if they get more novas. I think TTC figured out that no one stands at the back anyways. Maybe they should just move both wheelchair bench seats to the left side. The Flyers XD40 would let TTC design a better seat layout than the novas. There is no way to fix the LFS bus design. Just saying.

45ft, you'll have to think about some of the routes too. TTC should spec the bus right. When TTC got the RTS, its was beyond me why they got the WFD spec just to have the wheel chair lift at the rear doors. Its like they don't do a proper through review on these buses. And no operator or mechanic input, not even customer review. Look at the OG VII and the rear seating layout.

Now that this is declared public, here:

https://ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2015/October_28/Reports/2016-2025_Bus_Fleet-Facility_Plan.pdf

Hoists at eglinton can only handle 40 foot not 45

I get what you're saying, but the front post is adjustable, and it would depend on the wheelbase.

Does anyone have an idea of what is to come of the 107 Keele North route once the University expansion is opened? I know YRT is taking over the portion in Vaughan but what about service on Chesswood and Lepage/St. Regis?

I don't think ttc announced what's going to happen there.

Probably a new route that loop around those streets. They could keep 107 for it.

Most routes near there would end up at pioneer village station.

Does anyone have an idea of what is to come of the 107 Keele North route once the University expansion is opened? I know YRT is taking over the portion in Vaughan but what about service on Chesswood and Lepage/St. Regis?

Once the subway extension opens, YRT will take over operation of all of the TTC routes operating in Vaughan. This includes the 35D (which will become a branch of the 20) and the 105 and 107+ which will become their own routes.