Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

I was at UTSC today and clearly there were 194s running. They are operated by Malvern during parapan am. Hybrids on the highway :P

Birchmount is also providing buses for 194 when needed. I have yet to see Eglinton buses on it during the Parapan Am games even though they are suppose to have standby buses at Don Mills Station like Malvern intended for use on 194.

I heard it is not. equipment will be used everywhere in the event there is a shortage of buses.

Birchmount is also providing buses for 194 when needed. I have yet to see Eglinton buses on it during the Parapan Am games even though they are suppose to have standby buses at Don Mills Station like Malvern intended for use on 194.

Eglinton does 194 runs. Due to complaints from operators (no layovers at the station), some are parked at the Eglinton Division until they are needed and some Birchmount buses were sent to Malvern division. After the para pan am games is over, they will be deployed on any Eglinton routes. During the Para Pan games, the standby buses can be used on regular Eglinton routes. I know one was used on 68B on the other day.

I saw one vehicle with airport wrap on 37 Islington yesterday (8005)

Is it rare that airport buses operate in regular route?

Its not too uncommon. Ive seen them appear quite a bit on the 44 and 110 as well every once in a while.

This has been bothering me for a while.

On 5796, the panels adjacent to the doors were spaced further apart to mark the T1 doors:

5796.jpg

Here, they are spaced equally (this is one of the inner doors closer to the middle of the car).

However, if you take a look at the outermost door in the non-cab end (I don't remember how it was in the cab end (non-cab side), but I'd assume it's the same), the panels are clearly unevenly spaced:

5796 inequality.jpg

The rightmost panel is shifted a bit too far and was made to line up with the overhead compartment containing the AC machinery, whereas on T1's there is still a horizontal difference of a few cm:

T1.jpg

Why would they space them out this way on 5796 if they knew the whole time that that is not the correct (outermost) door width on the T1's, that all doorways would have equal width and be symmetrical.

That wasn't my point. I'm well aware that they marked the T1 doors on 5796, but the point is the outermost door is marked too wide even for T1's, and slightly off-centered, as you can see in the second picture above.

By the way, door width has little or no effect in reality, so stop pretending like it does and being such a drama queen about it.

That wasn't my point. I'm well aware that they marked the T1 doors on 5796, but the point is the outermost door is marked too wide even for T1's, and slightly skewed to the right, as you can see in the second picture above.

Maybe they don't want to redo the seating positions.

I saw one vehicle with airport wrap on 37 Islington yesterday (8005)

Is it rare that airport buses operate in regular route?

Probably once a day but they try to be selective if they do send them out. Like just added peak service runs or less busy routes.....not the case if was on the 37 though.

This has been bothering me for a while.

However, if you take a look at the outermost door in the non-cab end (I don't remember how it was in the cab end (non-cab side), but I'd assume it's the same), the panels are clearly unevenly spaced:

5796%20inequality.jpg

That looks like the cab end, non cab side. You mentioned the a/c overhead, so it must be... they moved the passenger seats in that location from three parallel to the wall to 2 perpindicular to the wall, as well as changing the way the cab door was hinged and latched. That's probably the source of the difference. The back of the seat had to be in line with the piano hinge on the door, so that the cab door would latch to the back of the seat properly.

I don't know exactly why they made that so large of a space on the right beside the doors, but it may have been to do with making the stanchion bar close enough to the passenger seats for it to be reasonably to grab while getting up. That's my guess.

That looks like the cab end, non cab side. You mentioned the a/c overhead, so it must be... they moved the passenger seats in that location from three parallel to the wall to 2 perpindicular to the wall, as well as changing the way the cab door was hinged and latched. That's probably the source of the difference. The back of the seat had to be in line with the piano hinge on the door, so that the cab door would latch to the back of the seat properly.

The picture is a screenshot from

video, if you watch onwards for a few seconds, it's actually the non-cab end.

I don't know exactly why they made that so large of a space on the right beside the doors, but it may have been to do with making the stanchion bar close enough to the passenger seats for it to be reasonably to grab while getting up. That's my guess.

But on T1's it isn't spaced so far apart, and I'm pretty sure is still easy to grab, wouldn't the same have worked on 5796? :huh:

The picture is a screenshot from

video, if you watch onwards for a few seconds, it's actually the non-cab end.

But on T1's it isn't spaced so far apart, and I'm pretty sure is still easy to grab, wouldn't the same have worked on 5796? :rolleyes:

It may have had something to do with the seating. On the non-cab ends of the T-1s, there is extra room between the seats against the car ends and the two against the side wall. I don't remember how the seats were on the non-cab end of 5796, but when 5796 was first built in 1990 as the T-1 prototype they probably didn't put in that same gap. If the seats were still the same distance apart as on regular H-5s, then that could have been the reason for the uneven spacing, the gap was in the door panels instead of between the end seats. They probably knew that the final design would have the gap, but they didn't build it into the prototype car. Just a guess, but that's all I can think of.

The original all-perimeter seating design probably didn't affect those seats at the end so it's unlikely that it was because of that seating layout.

It may have had something to do with the seating. On the non-cab ends of the T-1s, there is extra room between the seats against the car ends and the two against the side wall. I don't remember how the seats were on the non-cab end of 5796, but when 5796 was first built in 1990 as the T-1 prototype they probably didn't put in that same gap. If the seats were still the same distance apart as on regular H-5s, then that could have been the reason for the uneven spacing, the gap was in the door panels instead of between the end seats. They probably knew that the final design would have the gap, but they didn't build it into the prototype car. Just a guess, but that's all I can think of.

The original all-perimeter seating design probably didn't affect those seats at the end so it's unlikely that it was because of that seating layout.

That would make sense. Thanks for the info.

http://www.ttc.ca/News/2015/August/0814_emergency_repairs.jsp

This is very ridiculous that they are announcing this closure like the day before the closure..

I know this is emergency, but looks like TTC doesn't care about their valuable customers.

You gotta be bleeping me...

And they excluded a word "We apologize for the inconvenience"... looks like they won't apologize -_-

Who cares that they didn't apologize. It's not like your world will end.

Not to mention... when were they supposed to announce the closure? An emergency, by its nature, can't be predicted.

This is very ridiculous that they are announcing this closure like the day before the closure..

I know this is emergency, but looks like TTC doesn't care about their valuable customers.

And they excluded a word "We apologize for the inconvenience"... looks like they won't apologize -_-

To be fair about the Eglinton west station situation, it would be the contractor who dug the wrong spot that caused the problem. It's not the ttc's fault and they probably learned about it recently.

The spadina station loop notice was posted yesterday, so it's a 2 day notice. Although I dislike running it to Bathurst station. Out causes a lot of confusion and holds up the 511.

"I know it's an emergency but I hate that it's being treated like an emergency... And they didn't abase themselves to me" What?? How about take your complaint to Hydro because whatever they screwed up would not be impacting TTC if they hadn't screwed it up.