Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

regular transfers except they drill a hole near the top and another spot on the transfers. I haven't touch 198 lately, they used Morningside transfers with holes drilled in them of course.

I don't understand why the TTC does this, or why a particular route is just a hole punched in another route's transfer. 50 Burnhamthorpe carries 3100 people daily, while 123 Shorncliffe carries 5400. Yet Shorncliffe is a punch hole in Burnhamthorpe's transfers. I've had an operator argue about why I had a Burnhamthorpe transfer, because he looked closely enough at it to argue about my use, but not closely enough to notice it was from Shorncliffe. (He also assured me that Kipling express ran all day, because "trust me, I'm a driver and I know these things".)

The whole transfer thing goes by how easy for the division to distribute transfers, not ridership.

The 44 and 45 should get separate transfers by ridership. The 129/130/132 shouldn't even be sharing a transfer.

The 46 gets its own even through 44 has a lot more riders (just because it's at Arrow and 44/45 are at Queensway).

The 14 and 126 each has its own when they move to MTD while the 74 is still sharing with 103/33/82.

The 5 has its own but the 61 has to share with 78/115. I'm pretty sure the 61 has more service than the 5.

The 62 Montimer has pretty much low service like the 5 and 61 but it has its own.

Same with the 59 Maple Leaf but that has its own too. 123 Shroncliffe has better service than the 5/61/62/14/126 and it needs to share with 50.

And 139 uses the 39 transfer?

I've only been on 39 and 199. Maybe Torontotransportguy would know.

The whole transfer thing goes by how easy for the division to distribute transfers, not ridership.

The 44 and 45 should get separate transfers by ridership. The 129/130/132 shouldn't even be sharing a transfer.

Saves paper?

I used to know a friend of a friend in elementary school who collected transfers. Does anyone do this (or did)? Presto isn't far away. Maybe I should save a few.

If you want to correct transfers, you should start now. Presto and time based transfers will put an end to the current transfers. Transfers would probably be retained for cash payments but with time based transfers, it might look more like 512's transfers.

They don't save any paper or money for printing the same thing. Given the amount they print, of everything is the same or different for each route, it will cost the same. The reason is they probably print a few months of transfers at the same time. This keeps the cost low as they have different colors every day. Depending on route, each run gets 200-300 transfers. The only cost is handling them. Someone has to sort out transfers for each division and someone had to prepare each batch for the operators to pick up every day.

I take Line 2 (Bloor-Danforth) frequently, and just experienced this like a week ago.

I was standing since there were no where to sit.

I don't know if there is a way for T1 train to stop or accelerate smoother.

Few days ago, I hurt my knee because T1 train was stopping so harshly.

I still have bruised knee from last week....

Why T1 train stops and accelerate so harsh? Compared to Toronto Rocket train?

BD line is known as a full power full brake line. Compared to the YUS were its more timed, you already at a reduce speed by the time you get into some stations. I know operators that take pride in their braking, Its up to the operator. Just like buses, if everyone brakes the same way, be it rough, no one will complain, people get use to it. I find the TR especially going downhill into a station will do a slight jerk just as it stops which is avoidable, but some operators don't care. Also OTC and Bombardier said that the TR can self-feature, and changed their mind and said you have to feature. But most people don't complain about the braking of a subway. Not that I heard of anyways.

At the end of the day you can smooth out any train, theres no excuses. And the trains that has the best brakes to the point where your going through the front windows are gone, which were the H4s.

Talking about brakes, my biggest pet peeve is when bus operators open the back doors to stop the bus, which is annoying. Your asking for trouble, an onboard or whatever.

I take Line 2 (Bloor-Danforth) frequently, and just experienced this like a week ago.

[...]

Why T1 train stops and accelerate so harsh? Compared to Toronto Rocket train?

Could it be related to the SCS system?

I heard it had a lot of bugs when it was first broken in on the Sheppard line and it's possible not all of them have been resolved.

Could it be related to the SCS system?

I heard it had a lot of bugs when it was first broken in on the Sheppard line and it's possible not all of them have been resolved.

Nothing to do with the SCS system. It has to do with feathering of the brakes at the end of the stop. Many BD operators don't bother feathering, while most YUS operators do try to feather. Feathering wastes a lot of time if you don't do it right. Trying too hard to feather a TR makes it take forever to get the doors open. I'd rather there be a little jerk with the doors opening sooner rather than later.

The jerk at the end, if you expect it, isn't that bad. It's when an operator constantly changes brake position during a brake application that makes a stop really rough and annoying, especially on a T1.

The TRs are naturally smoother than the T1s, but unfeathered the TR will still jerk about at the end.

The only thing a buggy piece of SCS equipment will do is send a train into EB, and on the TR that turns out to be smoother and more gradual than a regular stop.

I've only been on 39 and 199. Maybe Torontotransportguy would know.

Saves paper?

I used to know a friend of a friend in elementary school who collected transfers. Does anyone do this (or did)? Presto isn't far away. Maybe I should save a few.

I started collecting bus transfers about 5 years ago and now I have collected transfers for all the daytime route except 99, 171, and 172.

As for the night bus transfers, 300 and 320 have their own but not all buses use them. For example I have got 110's transfer from a 300 which was doing 110 before starting its run on 300, as well as a 65's transfer in early morning, and that bus later went into 65. I also have seen 316's transfer.

I started collecting bus transfers about 5 years ago and now I have collected transfers for all the daytime route except 99, 171, and 172.

As for the night bus transfers, 300 and 320 have their own but not all buses use them. For example I have got 110's transfer from a 300 which was doing 110 before starting its run on 300, as well as a 65's transfer in early morning, and that bus later went into 65. I also have seen 316's transfer.

99 is shared with the 108/101/120 (something like that). I don't think the 171 has it's own. Back in 2010 they gave out 90 Vaughan but MTD doesn't have that route anymore, so they are probably giving out something else. The 172 is now shared with 72. I know there was a 329 Dufferin/Bathurst transfer but I'm not sure if it still exists. That's what I want to find out.

Route 99, 101, and 120 are printed on 108's transfer, however I once got 191's transfer on 101. In 2014 I got 7's transfer on 310 at 7am on Sunday. Another interesting one was that I got 11's transfer on 28 when 28 still had weekday rush hour runs, but I got 28's transfer on 162.

Also does anyone know if 31 still has its own transfers? I remember getting one back in 2011, but last month during the Greenwood open house I got 94's transfer.

Route 99, 101, and 120 are printed on 108's transfer, however I once got 191's transfer on 101. In 2014 I got 7's transfer on 310 at 7am on Sunday. Another interesting one was that I got 11's transfer on 28 when 28 still had weekday rush hour runs, but I got 28's transfer on 162.

Also does anyone know if 31 still has its own transfers? I remember getting one back in 2011, but last month during the Greenwood open house I got 94's transfer.

31 has it's own transfer, I'm pretty sure it still does. I'm aware that most Bmount routes have it's own transfers. Even routes like 9, 62, 64, 69, 81. 72/172, 83/8, 91/92 are shared.

Some Wilson routes like 28, 117 and 162, I'm not too sure about.

31 has it's own transfer, I'm pretty sure it still does. I'm aware that most Bmount routes have it's own transfers. Even routes like 9, 62, 64, 69, 81. 72/172, 83/8, 91/92 are shared.

Some Wilson routes like 28, 117 and 162, I'm not too sure about.

Untitled.png

28 and 117 have their own transfers, 162 uses 28's transfer. Those two transfers were obtained last year in the summer. Since 28 lost all the weekday services, I am not sure if its transfer has changed or not.

Also, even though 8 Broadview is printed on 83's transfer, I got 62's transfer on 8.

83 has its own transfers. Back in the Danforth days 83 used 8 Broadview transfers. Those two routes were combined way back when.

That's when the 8 had multiple branches with a much more frequent service. A branch use to run down Jones. Then they created the 83 and 100 providing service on broadview making the 8 pointless. The 8 only provides service on O'Connor between Donlands and Coxwell which is walkable from buses on both roads and Cosburn.

RE: Sunday Stop Removal.

Although I feel like they won't be affected, I do wonder if the Sunday stops normally found on some routes outside of subway stops like Warden, (I remember seeing) Kennedy, and Broadview as examples will remain for the sake of maintaining service for early morning on day routes. And I recall the notice being mainly on streetcar routes being the focus.

Can anyone confirm?

RE: Sunday Stop Removal.

Although I feel like they won't be affected, I do wonder if the Sunday stops normally found on some routes outside of subway stops like Warden, (I remember seeing) Kennedy, and Broadview as examples will remain for the sake of maintaining service for early morning on day routes. And I recall the notice being mainly on streetcar routes being the focus.

Can anyone confirm?

they will get rid of them all...it's merely a 'feel-good" change. I doubt ten seconds will be saved. Sundays only, couple of stops involved, will make NO difference to running times. Same as getting rid of closely-spaced stoops. TTC are not stupid. Closely spaced stops are there for a reason, because people USE THEM! Stops are close on Warden south of St Clair= lot of people use each one... Rte20 stops EB before Warden...one is old folks home-used a lot followed by Warden stop so I guess the old folks lose out so little "Sammy in a hurry" can shave 9 seconds of his trip home. Look at how many people on 501 WB use Victoria. Very close to those that use Yonge St and you always get caught at red light anyways. Anyways enough....

they will get rid of them all...it's merely a 'feel-good" change. I doubt ten seconds will be saved. Sundays only, couple of stops involved, will make NO difference to running times. Same as getting rid of closely-spaced stoops. TTC are not stupid. Closely spaced stops are there for a reason, because people USE THEM! Stops are close on Warden south of St Clair= lot of people use each one... Rte20 stops EB before Warden...one is old folks home-used a lot followed by Warden stop

So, if what you're saying is true, I question if I then enter the station "illegally" like I did back in the day at Keele Station well before the subway opened and catch the 41 at 430am (which, dear readers, is a normal and common thing), and do the same for the 116 or the 100 and pay my fare on the bus on Sunday before 830-900am (or when the collector arrives) on the platform inside or would I walk to the stop after the bridge over the Uxbridge Sub on Eglinton or at Pretoria Avenue.

So, if what you're saying is true, I question if I then enter the station "illegally" like I did back in the day at Keele Station well before the subway opened and catch the 41 at 430am (which, dear readers, is a normal and common thing), and do the same for the 116 or the 100 and pay my fare on the bus on Sunday before 830-900am (or when the collector arrives) on the platform inside or would I walk to the stop after the bridge over the Uxbridge Sub on Eglinton or at Pretoria Avenue.

you walk