Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

3) ST George was a flat-wall? end of the line days? Eglinton was a north end wall, obviously no tail tracks until the line was extended north to Yrk Mills etc.

Islington was a west end wall and Warden was the field behind the mall(the bridge was built from the start). Woodbine had about 300ft of track to the east and then a wooden wall and I'm not sure about Keele?

here is JFB photo of Westbound tunnel looking east from Woodbine platform Feb 19/1966

St George could never have been a flat wall at the end; they had the transfer tracks from the University Line to the BD Line. AFAIK the current tracks in the middle heading towards Spadina (Line 1) station before the curve were the former tail tracks.

Speaking of questions:

trying to update some general information for the files:

all help / info gratefully accepted

3) ST George was a flat-wall? end of the line days? Eglinton was a north end wall, obviously no tail tracks until the line was extended north to Yrk Mills etc.

Islington was a west end wall and Warden was the field behind the mall(the bridge was built from the start). Woodbine had about 300ft of track to the east and then a wooden wall and I'm not sure about Keele?

here is JFB photo of Westbound tunnel looking east from Woodbine platform Feb 19/1966

I would like to see photos of that wall for Eglinton. Same for Union before the University line opened and to see Eglinton before the extension. I suppose Keele would be interesting too.

St George could never have been a flat wall at the end; they had the transfer tracks from the University Line to the BD Line. AFAIK the current tracks in the middle heading towards Spadina (Line 1) station before the curve were the former tail tracks.

that's why the question mark after ST George :) I was down at St George as a young kid many many times but I cannot recall how they handled it.

We got off the Bloor streetcar and transferred to subway at St George(Bedford)

We are talking specifically Feb 1963 to Feb 1966.

I had thought maybe it was like the Woodbine Stn photo I posted where they installed a temporary plywood wall in the tunnel while construction was progressing on the other side

Newest rumour is a small 50 bus satellite garage opening up in the fall at an existing facility in the NE part of city. Would only be 125 operators or so. Supposedly is an existing non TTC garage. Master sign up to come???

I wonder are they are going to place 50 new LFSes there or move 50 old buses there.

Newest rumour is a small 50 bus satellite garage opening up in the fall at an existing facility in the NE part of city. Would only be 125 operators or so. Supposedly is an existing non TTC garage. Master sign up to come???

it's not a rumor

temp garage is happening

just no details yet

why not ask your guys? I think they know what's going on. I don't know the Birch guys anymore but I bet Mark W and Paul K know.

Glenn and Wayne at Malvern and Bruce P would know at new Eg.

I heard Sept is the anticpated date, still working out details

or, go to the real boss - the Slip! - they know everything that's going on, everything!

This has been driving me insane for some time, does anybody here remember the Garfield stores that were once located in many TTC stations. They were kind of like United Cigar Stores, in fact as I remember them primarily at TTC stations, but I seem to recall stores at the STC and Eaton Center as well be wrong as I was a child at this time. I have found nothing on the internet about these once stores and that distinctive G logo. Anybody here have an idea how long they lasted?

This has been driving me insane for some time, does anybody here remember the Garfield stores that were once located in many TTC stations. They were kind of like United Cigar Stores, in fact as I remember them primarily at TTC stations, but I seem to recall stores at the STC and Eaton Center as well be wrong as I was a child at this time. I have found nothing on the internet about these once stores and that distinctive G logo. Anybody here have an idea how long they lasted?

I remember there was a store on the second floor of STC that sold newspapers, magazines and snacks (like a Gateway Newstands), but I can't recall its name. I'm assuming it was the Garfield you have in mind? I forgot if you had to turn left or right when coming in from the food court, but I know for sure it was on the right-hand side after going in the correct way. I think it closed down in the late '90s.

I have no memory of any other Garfields at TTC stations or the Eaton Centre.

Yes, I have fond memories of the Garfield at Sheppard station. If I remember right, it used to be where the collector booth is now.

Sometimes when I see a bus gets tow, I see this white circular disc at the back wheel (see photo). Does anybody what is the purpose of that white disc?

1707.jpg

When the bus is towed with the rear wheels on the ground, the rear axles have to be removed. The the covers you mention are installed to prevent dirt and debris from getting inside the differential and rear wheel bearings. They also stop gear oil from leaking out of the differential as well.

thank you busfansforever, I guess the mechanics won't be happy when the towing companies tow the dead buses (the ones that die on the streets) with the front end of the bus lifted up.

They are supposed to be towed like that.

There are pictures online of TTC buses towed with the back end lifted up. These are buses that later went back in service. I don't think towing companies care about the transmissions judging from those photos.

thank you busfansforever, I guess the mechanics won't be happy when the towing companies tow the dead buses (the ones that die on the streets) with the front end of the bus lifted up.

It's a bit more work for us to re install the axles when they are towed from the front but as mentioned already the official procedure for towing Orion 7 buses are to remove the axles and tow from the front. Obviously though they can and have been towed from the rear.

It's a bit more work for us to re install the axles when they are towed from the front but as mentioned already the official procedure for towing Orion 7 buses are to remove the axles and tow from the front. Obviously though they can and have been towed from the rear.

It would depend on where the bus broke down. If it was right after an intersection, it wouldn't be cool trying to tow from the rear end right in the intersection. Through I doubt a bus will break down there. Maybe it was just the location that made it easier.

there is no way for us the drivers to control where the bus breaks down. One time my bus broke down right in the middle of the intersection at Don Mills and Shephard. I remember another time a bus broke down at the entrance of kennedy subway station. In that situation a service was called upon to shunt the bus out of the way.