Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

Out of curiosity, what is the shortest TTC route by travel time? Thanks!

The 171 Mt. Dennis has the shortest run time with 18min, then the 99 Arrow Road and the 82 Rosedale at 20 minutes.

I heard Dawes is pretty short. The run time is about 8 minutes. 8 Broadview is pretty short as well.

The 23 Dawes and the 8 Broadview have a run time of 30 min.

Source: TTC Service Summary https://www.ttc.ca/PDF/Transit_Planning/Service_Summary_2014-03-30.pdf

I heard Dawes is pretty short. The run time is about 8 minutes. 8 Broadview is pretty short as well.

The 171 Mt. Dennis has the shortest run time with 18min, then the 99 Arrow Road and the 82 Rosedale at 20 minutes.

The 23 Dawes and the 8 Broadview have a run time of 30 min.

Source: TTC Service Summary https://www.ttc.ca/P..._2014-03-30.pdf

Sorry, I probably should have clarified - I really meant shortest travel time in a single direction (not a round trip). I think that's what Leyland was getting at? Thanks, though.

EDIT: One more question, if I may. Lately, I've been seeing a lot of overhead photos of stock at Greenwood yard on the internet (like those taken from the Belt Line Bridge over Davisville). An example is the following photo (not mine): https://www.flickr.c...ddy/5360398709/

My impression was that there was no such bridge over Greenwood. Does anyone know where it is, and if it's accessible by the public? (For all I know, the above photo could have been taken by an employee). Since it's unlikely I'll ever see an H6 again unless the final run does not happen during exam preparations at school, I thought it might be worthwhile to head over there and see if I can photo anything from the bridge in question.

Edited by T6A5

EDIT: One more question, if I may. Lately, I've been seeing a lot of overhead photos of stock at Greenwood yard on the internet (like those taken from the Belt Line Bridge over Davisville). An example is the following photo (not mine): https://www.flickr.c...ddy/5360398709/

My impression was that there was no such bridge over Greenwood. Does anyone know where it is, and if it's accessible by the public? (For all I know, the above photo could have been taken by an employee). Since it's unlikely I'll ever see an H6 again unless the final run does not happen during exam preparations at school, I thought it might be worthwhile to head over there and see if I can photo anything from the bridge in question.

This looks like the bridge that spans over the portal tracks where the trains come off the mainline into the yard, and as you suspected it isn't accessible to the public.

Sorry, I probably should have clarified - I really meant shortest travel time in a single direction (not a round trip). I think that's what Leyland was getting at? Thanks, though.

Again, check the service summary - there are a lot of routes that are short. A couple of minutes of looking through it will allow you to figure out not only which is the shortest in terms of travel time, but even the shortest in terms of distance.

While there is no bridge over the Greenwood Yard, it is still very easily accessible - https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=43.679279,-79.333231&ll=43.679267,-79.333236&spn=0.002592,0.006539&num=1&t=h&z=18

Dan

My impression was that there was no such bridge over Greenwood. Does anyone know where it is, and if it's accessible by the public?

I think the photo was taken from Oakvale Avenue, though Google Maps show there's a high fence in the way. I also see a house in streetview where TTC employees access, so I assume the photographer had permission to access the house to get a better photo of the yard.

I think the photo was taken from Oakvale Avenue, though Google Maps show there's a high fence in the way. I also see a house in streetview where TTC employees access, so I assume the photographer had permission to access the house to get a better photo of the yard.

That photo was definitely taken through the fence, right above the portal. Probably cropped and staged to minimize how much fence was visible.

That photo was definitely taken through the fence, right above the portal. Probably cropped and staged to minimize how much fence was visible.

If you're using a P&S or something with a smaller lens, you can just stick it in the hole and it'll fit...unlike the Nikon DSLR that photographer was using.

If you're using a P&S or something with a smaller lens, you can just stick it in the hole and it'll fit...unlike the Nikon DSLR that photographer was using.

Even with an DSLR, if you hold the lens right up to the fence, you can still get a fairly decent photo. The portion of the photo with the fence covering the lens will appear as a different shade (more grayish) than the rest and not pitch black unlike tiny lens on P&S.

It was done with a 45mm focal length. That gives you, with the proper composition to minimize the fence intrusion in the frame, a good image which you can then crop accordingly to remove any traces of the fence in the image.

This isn't something difficult to do.

Out of curiosity, what does a trump unit look like? I was considering them a moment ago and I realized that I don't think I've ever seen one before. Is it the large black phone thing?

A few seat inserts, big woop.

Well I think its a big help. Anything to help people get out the seats in the front of the bus goes a long way to helpng those who are pregnant, physically challenged, etc.. You wouldnt believe the amount of people who have trouble understanding the simple concept of offering their seats for these individuals. This news is a little old though since the TTC said they were going to implement this earlier last year.

http://ttc.ca/News/2..._blue_seats.jsp

TTC will be expanding the BS through out the system.

My question is who is going to fine those people. Even if they receive a fine, they're not going to pay. The money goes to the city and not the TTC, so why will TTC want to hire people to enforce their bylaw and get nothing in return?

At least fining people who don't pay their fare on a POP system will force people to buy a ticket which increases revenue for the TTC. Money from fines must go to the TTC or they won't spend money to enforce their own bylaws. Something needs to change.

Now please don't tell me that the new streetcars are going to get blue seats too.

Today at about 9pm, I saw 7931 on St. Albans Rd. by Kipling Station with a police cruiser in front and a TTC Supervisor car in the back. There was a tow truck with a small sedan hooked up with some front damage. There wasn't any big damage on the bus but it might be out of service for a bit.