Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

the orion 7 is piece of garbage in the first piece either it is hybrid or diesel.

compared to what else is on the market, not really.

I have to agree with you on that. NFI D40LF is a better built and designed bus compared to the Orion 7.

like you have any experience on them.

I've seen both. And in my 15 years practicing, have seen more than you have in one follicle of your pubes.

like you have any experience on them.

I've seen both. And in my 15 years practicing, have seen more than you have in one follicle of your pubes.

Yeah, I have. I don't go around around boasting about it. I have driven the D40LF and 7 in that order.

You can boast about your "years practicing" but I have driven them on the road and know the difference.

I drive both models on a daily basis. where's my medal?

Bus medic is right. Not much difference in quality. Just driver preference.

As a customer I personally prefer the Orion VII since it feels more spacious and I feel less like a sardine in them when they are packed to capacity, unlike the D40LF.

If I was a driver I would probably still like the Orion VII more because of the very same reason. One random thing I will point out is that I frequently notice the side panels on a D40 are frequently broken in one way or another, while I have hardly witnessed this on a VII (and this isnt due to the age of the D40). Then again we can debate this all day since the VII has its own share of problems.

As a customer I personally prefer the Orion VII since it feels more spacious and I feel less like a sardine in them when they are packed to capacity, unlike the D40LF.

I find the D40LF to be more spacious and the rear doors actually open and close in less than a historical epoch.

However, most or all D40LFs have stop announcements that are much too loud. Maybe they're distorted. I live in Queenswayland, and I prefer a 797X or 80XX simply because my eardrums won't be bleeding. On the D40LFs, I try to find a seat as far from the speakers as possible, but it's still too loud.

iirc there is a knob you can lower the sound on each bus.

I don't think it's under the driver's control. Anyway, it's odd that the 8000s out of Queensway are reasonable, but the Flyers are so loud. I was on 7305 Saturday evening--too loud, of course. It might be the acoustics, the speakers, the amplifier....I don't know how much the stop announcement system varies between buses.

I never have this problem on streetcars, and I don't recall it with Orion V buses either. Some subway cars had very loud announcements a few years ago, but they may have been H5s and grossly out of adjustment (I actually switched cars at Sheppard to escape the worst example).

Not all 7300's have loud announcements, but the reason they are so loud on some is because someone complained they couldn't hear the announcements over the axle (hub) noise when the bus was in motion. I agree with FlyerD901, report the units that are too loud.

As a passenger one of the worst things about the TTC Vii's is the interior layout, no matter where you stand you're in the way. All the stanchion poles lean out into the isle preventing easy movement through the bus.

As a passenger one of the worst things about the TTC Vii's is the interior layout, no matter where you stand you're in the way. All the stanchion poles lean out into the isle preventing easy movement through the bus.

Trust me when I say this, the interior layout allows for a relatively decent movement inside the bus compared to other TA's. Ill admit the rear layout is a bit of a mess, as well as near the rear doors but the front of the bus is fine.

*I am referring to the VII OG when I talk about the rear layout.

Trust me when I say this, the interior layout allows for a relatively decent movement inside the bus compared to other TA's. Ill admit the rear layout is a bit of a mess, as well as near the rear doors but the front of the bus is fine.

*I am referring to the VII OG when I talk about the rear layout.

I don't care about other TA's, I'm talking about TTC buses.

I don't care about other TA's, I'm talking about TTC buses.

Well there's really nothing the TTC can do about your complaint. What do you want them to get a wider bus to accomodate your request? Unless they decide to implement 1+1 seating on the whole bus, there's not much they can do. The stanchions could be moved in slightly, but that doesnt help much with anything.

Only Wilson, Malvern and Mount Dennis will be getting the LFS artics. TTC stated that the 36 Finch west will run them so there for the route will have to move from Arrow.

So why Mount Dennis then? It's a little out of the way, wouldn't it be more logical to run it out of Wilson?

So why Mount Dennis then? It's a little out of the way, wouldn't it be more logical to run it out of Wilson?

Is that a rhetorical question? Logical and TTC don't always go hand in hand, besides the only people who know what goes on in Planning and why are the people in Planning.

With next board period's service summary being posted, some of the rumored/mentioned changes are confirmed:

Lawrence Ave West service changes

- 52C Lawrence West cancelled, 59 Maple Leaf serves Culford/Benton at all times

- 58 Malton service becomes branches of 52 Lawrence West

- 52 Lawrence West branches:

52A Lawrence Station-Airport
52B Lawrence Station-Westwood
52D Lawrence Station-McNaughton
52F Lawrence Station-Royal York
52G Lawrence West Station-Martin Grove

Jane St Service

- 35E Jane Express replaced with 195 Jane Rocket (still operated by Arrow Rd)

- 195 Jane Rocket will have 10 minute service at all times, operating at all times except Weekday late evening, Weekend evenings and Sunday early morning

- As a result, headways on 35 Jane roughly double during most periods outside of peak periods.

With next board period's service summary being posted, some of the rumored/mentioned changes are confirmed:

Lawrence Ave West service changes

- 52C Lawrence West cancelled, 59 Maple Leaf serves Culford/Benton at all times

- 58 Malton service becomes branches of 52 Lawrence West

- 52 Lawrence West branches:

52A Lawrence Station-Airport
52B Lawrence Station-Westwood
52D Lawrence Station-McNaughton
52F Lawrence Station-Royal York
52G Lawrence West Station-Martin Grove

Jane St Service

- 35E Jane Express replaced with 195 Jane Rocket (still operated by Arrow Rd)

- 195 Jane Rocket will have 10 minute service at all times, operating at all times except Weekday late evening, Weekend evenings and Sunday early morning

- As a result, headways on 35 Jane roughly double during most periods outside of peak periods.

yes, the MALTON route has really been a Lawrence branch since the mid-80's. The route originally ran from the Malton area to Lawrence & Weston RD,

Etobicoke wanted a route from the airport down to the BD line in the early 80's, suggesting that the Malton bus go down to Royal York Station. They had transfers and even rollsigns for this. Somebody suggested an origin-destination survey and a huge majority of riders wanted the Malton bus to run to Lawrence West Station, which was done in July 1985. The "Malton' name was kept only for nostalgia. Similar to the Davisville 28 route. There has not been a dedicated Davisville route since 1991. Its really a Bayview branch but theTTC refuses to give up the name.

Well there's really nothing the TTC can do about your complaint. What do you want them to get a wider bus to accomodate your request? Unless they decide to implement 1+1 seating on the whole bus, there's not much they can do. The stanchions could be moved in slightly, but that doesnt help much with anything.

True, luckily they can't buy them anymore. The Nova's are much better for passenger flow.