Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

TTC increase service on 83 Jones without telling anyone. Thats a first! It probably has to do with the new Lesile Barn construction.

Its also a new board period today.

They increased service?

Steve Munro posted about the 83 Jones changes that took effect this weekend a couple of months ago, and it seemed that they were only going to do a diversion without adding any buses, very slightly reducing the frequency: http://stevemunro.ca/?p=7841

The schedule on the TTC website seems to reflect the revised service frequency that Steve posted - except the evening and weekeend frequency reduction from 30 minutes to 24 minutes doesn't seem to have occurred.

I'm not seeing any evidence of a service increase though. What have you seen?

I saw two buses Sunday, and two again today, which is normally operated with one bus on Weekends and Hoildays. I checked the service summary, ( which was hard to find 83 Jones) and it says there will be an extra bus added at all times starting Aug 4th.

So the diversion that was suppose to take place isn't happening I guess. TTC probably planned for it and didn't bother changing it after. The added buses were in anticpation of a diverson, not an actual service increase. Else it would have been running every 15-20 minutes instead of 24 minutes now.

The Service Summary also has 31 Greenwood going to Donlands Station. I have yet to see that. I thought the current diversion was going well. I'll check that out when I'm in the area again.

I checked ttc.ca and the 83 buses are running every 24 mintues during the late evening and weekends.

It also says the Greenwood buses are still going to Greenwood Station, not Donlands.

Hopefully there is no delay with the Lesile barns.

Ah, I'm looking at the service summary now - http://www.ttc.ca/PDF/Transit_Planning/Service%20Summary_2013-06-23.pdf

Hmm, looks like Steve's summary is backwards, and it's gone from 30-minutes evenings and weekends historically, to 24-minutes currently. As the diverted route has a 42-minute run time, compared to 30-minutes on the normal route, they need 2 buses instead of 1, and it made sense to go to a 24-minute frequency.

I was up at Greenwood station last week, and they running the 31 Greenwood out of there, even though the station roadway is all dug up. It looked as though they were simply looping clockwise around Greenwood-Strathmore-Linsmore-Danforth instead of diverting to Donlands. They must have changed their mind after the Service Summary came out. See also http://www.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Route_diversions/31_Greenwood_stn.jsp (though I'm only guessing at the routing, and only observed the Linsmore-Danforth bit ... but I can't see how else the bus would have easily gotten southbound on Linsmore).

I'm less concerned by someone blocking seats carrying freight or lots of suitcases to Pearson than I am about simply putting their light bag on a second seat.

On the other hand my last trip to Pearson was 4 people and 7 bags, and we all had no problem only taking up 3 seats ... though perhaps with some loss of standing room.

Would shuttle buses that replace the subway pick up people along the shuttle route to go to the nearest subway station or would they only pick people up at or close by subway stations only? Been wondering about that for awhile.

Subway shuttles on Yonge Street through downtown (south of Bloor) sometimes pick up people at stops between stations... it's up mostly to driver discretion.

The 53E PM rush westbound currently goes through Bayview loop, south on Bayview, and west on Finch back to Finch Station.

53E Eastbound always took Yonge once the Yonge/Steeles stop was implemented, but prior to that they could take random routes to Bayview and Steeles.

The poster said between stations, not between stops. There are lots of existing stops on Yonge between stations.

Exactly, and why there is the 97 bus to service those stops. A subway shuttle is exactly what it is, a temporary replacement of the subway. Why anyone would think they are entitled or required to stop anywhere else except the subway stations unless specifically instructed to do otherwise, is mind boggling.

Finally they are fixing service along Ellesmere with boosts to 38 & 95 on weekends and revising the 95E. The next east-west route they should fix is 54. Revise 54E so that it actually saves you time and boost off peak 54A service or create a new local version of 54E for off peak periods.

Finally they are fixing service along Ellesmere with boosts to 38 & 95 on weekends and revising the 95E. The next east-west route they should fix is 54. Revise 54E so that it actually saves you time and boost off peak 54A service or create a new local version of 54E for off peak periods.

With the headways matched on the 95/95C.. it's possible these would be interlined.

If Wilson, Malvern continue to split the route, would be interested to see whether the Wilson extras make it out onto the express branch.