Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

whats the deal with this??? Why would they spend so much money (good job trying to be like Ridley) but why spend so much dough on this

'feel good' piece????? Is this part of 'we shouldn't contract out cleaning'????? seems like a giant waste of dough to me..........just saying...........

whats the deal with this??? Why would they spend so much money (good job trying to be like Ridley) but why spend so much dough on this

'feel good' piece????? Is this part of 'we shouldn't contract out cleaning'????? seems like a giant waste of dough to me..........just saying...........

If you watch the video in its entirety... it is clearly produced by the ATU ... so its their "dough" and they can do as the please with it... "just saying......"

If you watch the video in its entirety... it is clearly produced by the ATU ... so its their "dough" and they can do as the please with it... "just saying......"

understand that 100% and yes they can do whatever they want.

I guess this is a 'preaching to the choir" video

by 'waste of money' i meant, and i am a union guy also, that quite frequently unions do things that 'waste' our memberships dues, thats all

and even as an inhouse preach to the choir video, I personally believe that it is a waste of money and I don't know who they are trying to impress and further I cannot figure out exactly what the message is??????

All i got from it was maintenance guys do good work on the track, trains and buses (not that it was ever in doubt)

I think its by Aircastle films see in the video statistics. But how much could a production that is 90 seconds cost? IDK like $1000 at most?

well, depends what they had and what they had to shoot I guess

cool shots like some of those do not come cheap. assuming they did not have to pay to shoot any of the footage and assuming they already owned all of the footage and did not have to pay licensing or royalties or 'actors' than they did have to edit and assemble and add music.

It's very well put together too so they either went somewhere ie Eyes Post etc, or they have FinalCutPro for their macs or something and did all the editing and everything themselves. If they went thru 'proper' channels the

stock music would cost a bit. I don't know about 90 seconds but it does cost around $450-$550 just to license stock music for a 60-sec thing so it would be a bit more money for a 90sec spot.

If they had to pay to shoot new scenes and they actualy did license stock music and so on the cost could? be around 15k-20k. If they already owned all footage and went to an audio post house to assemble if would have cost maybe 4 or 5 grand and if they stiffed the music company and did it all themselves on their laptops probably only cost them a couple of grand. Stuff like this, when well done like this piece is, is not cheap. (I do not know Aircastle Films but it could be the Union's own company name or a real one like Eyes Post that they hired.)

Im not bitching about cost, I just don't get who the audience is and what they are trying to say. Therefore in my small mind, even if they only spent 20bucks it would be a waste of money - IMHO. That's all - no big deal

I think its by Aircastle films see in the video statistics. But how much could a production that is 90 seconds cost? IDK like $1000 at most?

Without having seen it yet I realize I'm taking a stab in the dark, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was closer to $10,000. If they used a film production company. If there are board members that are film editors part time or amature that have the appropriate equipment for editing then perhaps low 1000s would be possible.

So I just watched it. It's defiantly a well executed video, but when it comes to it's message I think it falls short. What's missing is information linking it the ATU's wish that those jobs don't get privatized. Perhaps there are other ads yet to be posted to accompany it and complete the message.

So I just watched it. It's defiantly a well executed video, but when it comes to it's message I think it falls short. What's missing is information linking it the ATU's wish that those jobs don't get privatized. Perhaps there are other ads yet to be posted to accompany it and complete the message.

Exactly my point. I don't think these guys will ever be privatized. It's only talk of cleaning staff, which this video neglects, and well it should, these clips are very cool and you cannot match dark tunnel rail grinding with slinging a mop at Kennedy.

All i got from it was maintenance guys do good work on the track, trains and buses (not that it was ever in doubt)

Exactly, however maintenance guys are not the be all and end all of ATU or TTC. Let's see the whole picture here. If they're stating maint. jobs are important and shouldn't be privatized(and I agree they shouldn't be) I don't know why bring that up now, here? Unless they know something we don't and this is just the beginning? After all, there is a whole other group on the operating side, ...now what are they called again? just sayin.

Not cheap - and this is only digital. Think about the stuff that goes on the big screen.. But remember that the footage is of TTC employees so no licensing of stock footage required - Just the music.

What are you yammering on about?

No one shoots film anymore. Hell, when I stopped working in the industry 10 years ago the transition to digital was already well underway, if not almost complete.

Dan

No, it's to be shown in movie theatres with the trailers.

Exactly, however maintenance guys are not the be all and end all of ATU or TTC. Let's see the whole picture here. If they're stating maint. jobs are important and shouldn't be privatized(and I agree they shouldn't be) I don't know why bring that up now, here? Unless they know something we don't and this is just the beginning? After all, there is a whole other group on the operating side, ...now what are they called again? just sayin.

oh? And the traffic side is then?

This is exactly why the maintenance employees should split from 113 and form their own local, or join the electricians in cupe local 2.

The drivers are a boat anchor preventing us from being heard.

Sorry I meant the production is only shown online - imagine if it was on TV :o

You still need to get licensing for online media as well.

As for TV, this would never make it as a commercial. It's too long - the broadcasters would charge way too much as it would take the time of 3 normal ads (or 6 short ones).

Dan

No, it's to be shown in movie theatres with the trailers.

oh? And the traffic side is then?

This is exactly why the maintenance employees should split from 113 and form their own local, or join the electricians in cupe local 2.

The drivers are a boat anchor preventing us from being heard.

You all need to stand up togeter and split from the operation side. I'm surprise its not a big issue with the maintaince folks

This is akin to Quebec separating from Canada, sure there are differences but that green grass on the other side of the fence is blinding, don't forget divided we fall. This kind of infighting is what caused the essential service legislation and our steep PR dissent after a faction of the then union executive board tried to pit operations against maintenance. The coupe failed but the lasting side effects are still present.

And to go back to my earlier analogy, the operations side has always sided with maintenance whenever an issue has come up that is unacceptable to them, the last few strikes were more maintenance-sided in terms of issues, so operations voted 'no' and turned down the contract in solidarity.

As for the video, it would be nice to see a Operations equivalent simply because that video was so well done but I'm not sure the expense would make it worthwhile. The Maintenance side is the one under fire at the moment, that is where privatization looms large.