Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

4020298881_330_3ttc.jpgNoticed this piece of equipment on a TTC bus recently. Has anyone else seen these and know what they are? Located just above the driver.

There had been talk a while back about installing a "pager" device in the vehicles to notify operators of service delays in a more timely fashion than TRUMP. The collector booths now have such pagers. Its possible this could be part of that project.

There had been talk a while back about installing a "pager" device in the vehicles to notify operators of service delays in a more timely fashion than TRUMP. The collector booths now have such pagers. Its possible this could be part of that project.

You are correct sir. Blue ant is the maker.

How does everyone feel about bus service on Yonge Street? Since I've started working on Yonge Street, I've notice that there are alot of empty buses on all 97 branches from Front to Lawrence. I think that if the TTC was to ever cut services, they should look to the 97.

Isn't the segment south of Davisville rush hour only? I do notice people waiting at the Dundas stop. Perhaps as an alternative to the crowded trains heading to/from Bloor.

Isn't the segment south of Davisville rush hour only? I do notice people waiting at the Dundas stop. Perhaps as an alternative to the crowded trains heading to/from Bloor.

There is midday service to St. Clair I've seen I think its 97F? and I think I've seen 97B which is to Queen's Quay.

There is midday service to St. Clair I've seen I think its 97F? and I think I've seen 97B which is to Queen's Quay.

This is the breakdown of service on Yonge St:

97 (Davisville Station to Steeles) operates during evening and weekends

97A (Davisville Station to York Mills Station via Yonge Blvd) operates at all times except midday

97B (Queen's Quay to Steeles) operates during peak periods only

97C (St Clair to Steeles) operates during midday only

97D (St Clair to York Mills via Yonge Blvd) operates during midday only

One of the main reasons for bus service along Yonge St is to provide better transit access to homes and businesses on or around Yonge St, especially north of Eglinton where stops are further apart. There are some people that use the 97 during peak periods as well as an alternative to the packed Yonge subway, as I witnessed during my ride on 97B in the summer. If you were to argue the elimination of 97 you could do the same for 85 Sheppard East service between Sheppard-Yonge and Don Mills Station as from what I've witnessed it has similar ridership to that seen on 97.

There is indeed a 97F branch there somewhere too, I saw one SB at Eglinton this past Saturday midday. It might be a SB only York Mills to Davisville via Yonge Blvd.

97F is used on the destination signs only. It is a southbound 97A. I'm not sure why there is no southbound 97A destination sign.

This is the breakdown of service on Yonge St:

97 (Davisville Station to Steeles) operates during evening and weekends

97A (Davisville Station to York Mills Station via Yonge Blvd) operates at all times except midday

97B (Queen's Quay to Steeles) operates during peak periods only

97C (St Clair to Steeles) operates during midday only

97D (St Clair to York Mills via Yonge Blvd) operates during midday only

One of the main reasons for bus service along Yonge St is to provide better transit access to homes and businesses on or around Yonge St, especially north of Eglinton where stops are further apart. There are some people that use the 97 during peak periods as well as an alternative to the packed Yonge subway, as I witnessed during my ride on 97B in the summer. If you were to argue the elimination of 97 you could do the same for 85 Sheppard East service between Sheppard-Yonge and Don Mills Station as from what I've witnessed it has similar ridership to that seen on 97.

I wouldn't want to see the service cut north of Eglinton, but 15 minute service between St. Clair and Eglinton is a little much, I think the 97 could easily support 30 minute service south of Eglinton off-peak.

I wouldn't want to see the service cut north of Eglinton, but 15 minute service between St. Clair and Eglinton is a little much, I think the 97 could easily support 30 minute service south of Eglinton off-peak.

If it were 30 minute service south of Eglinton then that would change service north of York Mills and along Yonge Blvd to be hourly. The TTC currently has a policy of providing service at 30 minutes or better at all times.

If it were 30 minute service south of Eglinton then that would change service north of York Mills and along Yonge Blvd to be hourly. The TTC currently has a policy of providing service at 30 minutes or better at all times.

Couldn't you have a 97 branch service out of St. Clair that would service Yonge Boulevard to Steeles Avenue? and have the another branch out of Eglinton to Steeles? Combining services north of Eglinton to provide 15 Minute service, and 30 minute service south of Eglinton...and then operate service to Queen's Quay during peak hours.

There is indeed a 97F branch there somewhere too, I saw one SB at Eglinton this past Saturday midday. It might be a SB only York Mills to Davisville via Yonge Blvd.
97F is used on the destination signs only. It is a southbound 97A. I'm not sure why there is no southbound 97A destination sign.

If I recall correctly the 97F branch was added back when the Yonge replacement shuttles were first started in the evenings for the track work. This is back before Mount Dennis opened so my memory may be a little fuzzy, but the way I remember it the 97F would go north via the 97A routing, but would continue up to Finch Station. Then back south along the same routing. Basically what the TTC did was to change any bus that was a 97A on the previous work period to that track work starting up and made them a 97F after a certain time (I believe it was 12am), and probably another one or two buses where added after that time at night to account for the additional time going up to Finch. As for the destination sign still being used? Can't help ya there.

Couldn't you have a 97 branch service out of St. Clair that would service Yonge Boulevard to Steeles Avenue? and have the another branch out of Eglinton to Steeles? Combining services north of Eglinton to provide 15 Minute service, and 30 minute service south of Eglinton...and then operate service to Queen's Quay during peak hours.

St. Clair to Davisville is not exactly a boon for ridership after 6:30pm. You have the Subway and the Cemetery running for a half kilometre. Most of the shops are a 9 till 9 (or earlier) affair south of Heath Street. Even then, the immediate areas have a subway within a 10 minute walk.

Believe it or not, some (if not all) evening runs on the 97 and 97A sees pick ups and drop offs before Eglinton. Eglinton Station has enough bus bays taken as it is, and not to mention its a bother to get in and out sometimes.. Davisville, cozy as it is, is an easy pull-in, pull out with its proximity to Yonge.

As for everything north of Yonge Boulevard... 30 minutes is good enough for them. There's not a lot of ridership north of York Mills anyhow until Midnight (thank you, Yonge Subway closure). Any ridership north of Finch Station, are too often eaten up predominately by the 53 and the 60 given the frequent service all day (combined). Cummer and Drewry sees the odd two get off at Cummer and Drewry at Yonge. For all of them, rarely stopping at 5799 Yonge.

The most ridership you'll find Davisville to Glencairn, Sheppard to Finch, and on Hilda is likely a maximum (give or take) of ten people per trip. At least from my observations (before 11:30pm on a given night).

Ten.

Correct me where it's warranted: It's only because of the Ridership Growth Strategy that was pushed by the Miller government/and the (then) TTC board that had that 97 service reinstated after 10:00pm, with 30 minute minimum headways.

I say, we take what we can get.

The Yonge Subway Shuttle is a great service as it is while it's running anyway at this point with its 2-5 minute headways. It'll be a ghost town in (whenever) 2013 when the repairs are complete.

St. Clair to Davisville is not exactly a boon for ridership after 6:30pm. You have the Subway and the Cemetery running for a half kilometre. Most of the shops are a 9 till 9 (or earlier) affair south of Heath Street. Even then, the immediate areas have a subway within a 10 minute walk.

Believe it or not, some (if not all) evening runs on the 97 and 97A sees pick ups and drop offs before Eglinton. Eglinton Station has enough bus bays taken as it is, and not to mention its a bother to get in and out sometimes.. Davisville, cozy as it is, is an easy pull-in, pull out with its proximity to Yonge.

As for everything north of Yonge Boulevard... 30 minutes is good enough for them. There's not a lot of ridership north of York Mills anyhow until Midnight (thank you, Yonge Subway closure). Any ridership north of Finch Station, are too often eaten up predominately by the 53 and the 60 given the frequent service all day (combined). Cummer and Drewry sees the odd two get off at Cummer and Drewry at Yonge. For all of them, rarely stopping at 5799 Yonge.

The most ridership you'll find Davisville to Glencairn, Sheppard to Finch, and on Hilda is likely a maximum (give or take) of ten people per trip. At least from my observations (before 11:30pm on a given night).

Ten.

Correct me where it's warranted: It's only because of the Ridership Growth Strategy that was pushed by the Miller government/and the (then) TTC board that had that 97 service reinstated after 10:00pm, with 30 minute minimum headways.

I say, we take what we can get.

The Yonge Subway Shuttle is a great service as it is while it's running anyway at this point with its 2-5 minute headways. It'll be a ghost town in (whenever) 2013 when the repairs are complete.

Can Someone please remind me again why there isn't Subway stops in between Lawrence and Eglinton? Maybe back in the 70s it wasn't warranted but it sure is now... no? Subway stops at Lytton/ Blythwood and Roselawn/ Erskine would have been ideal today with the amount of High Density going on, if not those two cross streets then maybe one subway stop between Sherwood and Keewatin. And im surprised that the TTC didn't even think of engineering the tunnels straight enough to put a subway station in at a later date like they did with North York Centre.

Can Someone please remind me again why there isn't Subway stops in between Lawrence and Eglinton? Maybe back in the 70s it wasn't warranted but it sure is now... no? Subway stops at Lytton/ Blythwood and Roselawn/ Erskine would have been ideal today with the amount of High Density going on, if not those two cross streets then maybe one subway stop between Sherwood and Keewatin. And im surprised that the TTC didn't even think of engineering the tunnels straight enough to put a subway station in at a later date like they did with North York Centre.

There were "plans" of sorts to have "midblock" stations between Eglinton and Lawrence (@ or near Glencairn) and at Lawrence and Yorkmills (@ or near Yonge and Yonge). The only one that was actually built was North York Centre. It was then and is now still an issue of ridership, priorities and cost. Back then, they were not build because the density would not support the ridership/cost. Now ... its not a priority, and the cost would be extravagant - not to mention the engineering issues, and the potential for a prolonged shut down of the line to construct new stations. North York Centre was in a cut and cover section and it was relatively easy to do. The two other possibles are in tunneled sections and much deeper underground which would lead to a host of problems and expenses if ever the idea was implemented.

The tunnels were engineered with a station in mind - the section near Lytton emergency exit. It's straight, near level, and long enough to support a station. There was never any intention of having two subway stations in that block - it's only 2km between Lawrence and Eglinton.

Even now, the demand particularly isn't there for the station around Lytton. There is some high density appearing, but nothing like what was experience up in North York.

The tunnels were engineered with a station in mind - the section near Lytton emergency exit. It's straight, near level, and long enough to support a station. There was never any intention of having two subway stations in that block - it's only 2km between Lawrence and Eglinton.

Even now, the demand particularly isn't there for the station around Lytton. There is some high density appearing, but nothing like what was experience up in North York.

And the people living around Park Home and Princess fought tooth and nail to kill the station the first time around (around 1970) arguing that the subway would "diminish their property values" !! But the engineers' plans allowed for the station to be built later.

97F was a temporary branch created in 2008-09 around the time the early subway closures on the Yonge Line began. It serves/-d Yonge St. b/w Davisville - Finch Stn along with the 1 shuttle buses b/w Lawrence - Finch Stn. I don't remember it's specific route tho.

1099 is the bus that is at Duncan for conversion from hybrid to diesel. It got damage while on a Wilson route, and has been out of service since. It never made it to Malvern.

Interseting. What kind of engine do you think TTC will put in to this bus?