Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

Oh, I see what he meant. I actually do remember it being paired to 5004. I have noticed that 5000-5005 have a few differences from the others, for example they have an extra strip of metal over each door.

Also has anyone noticed some T1's are of a lighter than others. Also where is this pamphlet from?

That was my mistake.

5005-5006 doesn't exist.

it does, just not paired together :lol:

Hi everyone.

I Noticed that the TTC posted a new tours of their facilities. This time they added McCowan Shop to the list, I don't believe they've ever opened this to the public.

Anyways I'm really interested in the Greenwood Shop tour. So, has anyone here attended? I was wondering if I need an 'adult' with me, even though I'm 18, I'm not too clear about that requirement. Also how do you know if your shoes are CSA approved?

Thank you in advanced.

The green triangle isn't particularly fashionable. You may find the CSA approval on the tongue or label instead.

Regardless of where it is located, it will be a green triangle with CSA in white as shown below:

csa-logo.gif

There are other CSA approvals (white on blue, for example)... these are not valid.

The trainsets are designed to be able to accept a 50 foot car between the two three-car half-sets in the future should it be deemed necessary.

Dan

Yep. Station platforms are 500ft, 6 car trainsets are only 450ft (75ft cars). Doesn't affect signal block lengths I believe, and definitely does not impact things like turn radii.

Yep. Station platforms are 500ft, 6 car trainsets are only 450ft (75ft cars). Doesn't affect signal block lengths I believe, and definitely does not impact things like turn radii.

Shouldn't affect the minimum turning radius, but it definately does affect the precision necessary for locating trains on the platforms.

Dan

If say a 7th car was added, is it possible to configure the doors in such a way that certain doors stay close while other doors are opened? I'm imagining something like the last set of doors of the last car would not be at the platform.

The 7th car would only be added once the ATO/ATC system is operational. There would (or at least should) never be an issue with doors not being on the platform.

Dan

The 7th car would only be added once the ATO/ATC system is operational. There would (or at least should) never be an issue with doors not being on the platform.

Dan

Despite it really not being necessary to have ATO in order to have a seventh car. I'm fully capable of spotting the train in the same spot every time, so are most of the other operators I've worked with.

London Underground trains have to be spotted precisely as well... most of them are manually driven and they rarely if ever have problems. Some manually driven lines even have platform screen doors at certain stations and they don't really have issues.

The subway closure that was postponed in december on the yonge line will happen Jan, 29th and 30th 2011.

No trains between bloor stn, and union stn, shuttle buses will be running

I saw signs up at College about this yesterday evening. A reminder to anyone who's forgotten, it's to reinstall the College crossover, and that pesky 15km/h slow zone can finally be lifted.

Here's the first of 2 Service Advisories that appear on the ttc.ca page for my bus route, 94 WELLESLEY:

Yonge Subway - New track installation - January 29-30

Subway replaced by buses between Bloor-Yonge Station and Union Station.

Last updated January 14 2011, 8:42 AM

I saw signs up at College about this yesterday evening. A reminder to anyone who's forgotten, it's to reinstall the College crossover, and that pesky 15km/h slow zone can finally be lifted.

Will those automatic signals be replaced with interlocking signals?

Will those automatic signals be replaced with interlocking signals?

They will need to be if there's new switches to be put in place (which there are). I wonder if they will also take this time to reverse signal the portion between Dundas and College (only one signal would needed to be added on top of what's necessary for the crossover, and that's departing Dundas on the SB track)

Hey Neil, I'm going to move the discussion here, if that's cool.

And I noticed there's roughly a 90 minute gap for any bus on Warden between Steeles and Sheppard on a Sunday morning.

Yippie ki-yay...

That's not true. It's an unfortunate defect in the schedule format that has carried over to the new web site.

There are earlier trips that operate between Steeles and Danforth/Danforth.

There is most definitely a 7:51a southbound from Steeles before the 8:17a. Its notation instructs the bus not to enter Warden Stn... hence why it's not listed on the schedule. I'd be willing to wager there is a 7:21a trip as well. There's no reason to suspect that Eglinton would have changed the schedule. In fact I bet both are Warden proper buses that do a half or full trip on the Steeles/Danforth routing.

You're on! Ohhh boy, this is going to be one frigid morning... just putting out there though, I noticed this schedule at the stop and not online.

However, this wouldn't be the first time there's a large gap between services on the whole 322/324 thing against Day services...

Sometime ago, the last bus leaving Broadview Station period was at 1:35am. That being a 62 Mortimer service. Following that, there was nothing until 2:20am for the first 322 Night bus.

That changed to the 322 adding a trip at 1:50am.

The last trip on Victoria Park Avenue, south of Danforth Avenue was --and still is, the 12 Kingston Road service. Leaving Victoria Park Station at 1:00am (Danforth at 1:02am).

Then, there would be no service until the first 324 Night bus reaching quite from Steeles & Warden arrives Danforth Avenue minutes to 3am.

(Mind you, it is a a short segment, and there still is the option to walk from the north or the 22A->walk / 322->324 from the south.

Keeping it short, seeing that gap (apparently a scheduling defect) didn't exactly surprise me, needless to say I got vexed as the weather and the wet interior of my boot made the trip home rather unbearable.