Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

I noticed beside Warden station there's a trackbed adjacent to the mainline that runs past the kennedy tunnel portal. What was this for and why was it removed?

Edit: And why is Chester station (or the whole Danforth line for that matter) in such decrepit condition? Half the lights in that station are burnt out or the fixture is completely gone.

. . . And as per usual, TTC dropped the ball when it came to N/B service last night/early this morning!

Huge gaps in service were evident between 4-6a, with lots of happy passengers waiting. 8067 was wb @ yonge @ 410, a good 40 min behind the bus in front, leaving pack to the doors and leaving peoiple behind to Ossington, carrying a standing load all the way to Jane! Meanwhile, I passed 3 eb 300s between Symington and High pk!

Just another example on how TTC feels about BlueNight service! Don't understand why they can't do a special sign up for the sunday that the time change occurs. It'll be no different than a holiday sign up except it would take place during reguler sign up.

The subway finishes like no time change occured. However, buses and steetcars are suppose to do full mileage and run the extra hour and get paid ot for that extra hour.

Unfortunitly, the Sundays crews all report at their normal times ( after the change) which leads to gaps in servicen in less supervisors ask for volenteers to do extra trips.

Full mileage means finishing the required number of trips. If it were based on time, most buses on Blue Night routes would finish at the opposite end of the line. It's unfortunate the TTC continues to ignore the issue of the time changes. The separate sign up would make more sense though practically speaking would be a colossal cost for something that affects maybe.... 50-60 operators across the city?

When a train goes out of service into a pocket track or tail track, what do the guard/driver do? do they just sit there for the hours they're there or what? Do they somehow exit?

Depends on the reason. Service adjustments (i.e. short turns) usually require brief layovers to fill a gap and/or be put back in the correct running order. Trains with mechanical issues use the pocket/centre/tail tracks to prevent interruptions to the main line. This makes it easier for line mechanics to spend time inspecting/repairing trains. Standby trains use the non-revenue track (Union centre track, Davisville build-up, Eglinton pocket track, York Mills centre track, and one of the Finch tail tracks) to await instructions to enter service. I understand operators can request permission to leave the train, if required.

Depends on the reason. Service adjustments (i.e. short turns) usually require brief layovers to fill a gap and/or be put back in the correct running order. Trains with mechanical issues use the pocket/centre/tail tracks to prevent interruptions to the main line. This makes it easier for line mechanics to spend time inspecting/repairing trains. Standby trains use the non-revenue track (Union centre track, Davisville build-up, Eglinton pocket track, York Mills centre track, and one of the Finch tail tracks) to await instructions to enter service. I understand operators can request permission to leave the train, if required.

Well, that's reasonable. But how do they exit the train and travel to civilization? Do they walk along the tracks or is there some sort of secret passageway for this reason? What if the operator requires to use the bathroom at the nearby station?

I noticed beside Warden station there's a trackbed adjacent to the mainline that runs past the kennedy tunnel portal. What was this for and why was it removed?

Edit: And why is Chester station (or the whole Danforth line for that matter) in such decrepit condition? Half the lights in that station are burnt out or the fixture is completely gone.

IIRC it is an abandoned CN spur and has nothing to do with the subway.

Did this spur get a lot of service, and when did it become abandoned?

The spur is still used from Kennedy to Warden, and sees several trains per week.

The section from Warden back south to Danforth was pulled up in the mid-1990s, and was far less frequently used - and less so once Eli Lilly stopped receiving shipments by rail.

Dan

Well, that's reasonable. But how do they exit the train and travel to civilization? Do they walk along the tracks or is there some sort of secret passageway for this reason? What if the operator requires to use the bathroom at the nearby station?

At the end of the platform there are stairs heading down onto the track with a warning to keep out. I'd assume that they'd use these stairs to access the station platform if there isn't a direct access point to the platform from the train's position.

The sheppard subway from Sheppard-Yonge to Downsview Stn, will it become a subway anytime soon?

It seems like a waste since they already made a westbound stopping area at Sheppard-Yonge and also since the LRT on Sheppard is not on that side, will it see chance of connecting the Sheppard Subway to Downsview Stn?

The sheppard subway from Sheppard-Yonge to Downsview Stn, will it become a subway anytime soon?

It seems like a waste since they already made a westbound stopping area at Sheppard-Yonge and also since the LRT on Sheppard is not on that side, will it see chance of connecting the Sheppard Subway to Downsview Stn?

I rather see the Sheppard extended east like it was supposed to be, it's about time Scarborough got a proper backbone, especially in the busier part of it, not some rail line where 4 out of the 6 stations are next to useless. Getting to the northeast of Toronto is painfully slow at times, a subway would help that. Not to mention a lot of the people that get off the subway at Don Mills take either a Sheppard East bus or the 190 Rocket, thus it does show some demand. I can't really comment on Sheppard Station as I don't pass through there as often.

ridiculous eh? I think TTC is planning on stupidly running the LRT to Finch, making the Sheppard line a waste. I doubt the Sheppard line will see extentions in our lifetime. Maybe a subway to Barrie ;);) but not to Downsview.

I rather see the Sheppard extended east like it was supposed to be, it's about time Scarborough got a proper backbone, especially in the busier part of it, not some rail line where 4 out of the 6 stations are next to useless. Getting to the northeast of Toronto is painfully slow at times, a subway would help that. Not to mention a lot of the people that get off the subway at Don Mills take either a Sheppard East bus or the 190 Rocket, thus it does show some demand. I can't really comment on Sheppard Station as I don't pass through there as often.

But seeing as how they're actually putting the Sheppard LRT in place, there's very little chance they'll extend the subway east. This is why I'm hoping they'll at least finish the western section and connect the two yellow lines at the northern part and also since Sheppard-Yonge already has a westbound platform all built and ready to go.

As for your comment about how slow it is to travel in northeastern Toronto, if you look at the northwestern portion, isn't that worse? Rapid transit lines at least reach deeper into the northeastern region than the northwestern region. The Etobicoke north is very far from any Rapid transit stations whereas Don Mills Stn and STC reduces the distance to the borderline of the northeast Toronto.

They should do something about the north western part because all those long distance bus routes take forever to connect to a station.

ridiculous eh? I think TTC is planning on stupidly running the LRT to Finch, making the Sheppard line a waste. I doubt the Sheppard line will see extentions in our lifetime. Maybe a subway to Barrie ;);) but not to Downsview.

That's why I ask if there is any chance they can extend the western part; it's only like 2-3 stations and both ends parts have been built. Avenue Rd Stn, Bathurst Stn, that's about it.

Would a subway linking the University and Yonge lines draw more people to one line or the other? If it's shown that it'll draw people down the less-used University line then it may be one option (granted a very expensive one) to relieving the Yonge line. If the opposite is true, then maybe not. Of course it could serve as a detour downtown if anything happens along the tracks south of Sheppard station.

Would a subway linking the University and Yonge lines draw more people to one line or the other? If it's shown that it'll draw people down the less-used University line then it may be one option (granted a very expensive one) to relieving the Yonge line. If the opposite is true, then maybe not. Of course it could serve as a detour downtown if anything happens along the tracks south of Sheppard station.

How about telling YRT and VIVA to route their buses to Downsview Stn instead of Finch Stn? That'll get ALOT of people away from the Yonge section and into the Spadina section in order to even it out.

*Jokingly of course*

How about telling YRT and VIVA to route their buses to Downsview Stn instead of Finch Stn? That'll get ALOT of people away from the Yonge section and into the Spadina section in order to even it out.

*Jokingly of course*

The 88 was initially going to run out of Downsview I believe but got switched to Finch probably for connections and/or the TTC didn't want it overlapping it's 160 service. The Spadina line extension should shift some routes over to that branch of the line but it's still a few years in coming.

The spur is still used from Kennedy to Warden, and sees several trains per week.

The section from Warden back south to Danforth was pulled up in the mid-1990s, and was far less frequently used - and less so once Eli Lilly stopped receiving shipments by rail.

Dan

CN Geco (GECO? GE-Co?) Spur, I think part was originally a CNoR line.

I recall there was a memeber on here at one point (SnowFlagDial or something) that often fanned and possibly tampered with equipment on that line...

But seeing as how they're actually putting the Sheppard LRT in place, there's very little chance they'll extend the subway east. This is why I'm hoping they'll at least finish the western section and connect the two yellow lines at the northern part and also since Sheppard-Yonge already has a westbound platform all built and ready to go.

As for your comment about how slow it is to travel in northeastern Toronto, if you look at the northwestern portion, isn't that worse? Rapid transit lines at least reach deeper into the northeastern region than the northwestern region. The Etobicoke north is very far from any Rapid transit stations whereas Don Mills Stn and STC reduces the distance to the borderline of the northeast Toronto.

They should do something about the north western part because all those long distance bus routes take forever to connect to a station.

That's why I ask if there is any chance they can extend the western part; it's only like 2-3 stations and both ends parts have been built. Avenue Rd Stn, Bathurst Stn, that's about it.

Same if you extend it east only one station to at least VP. Seeing as how TTC is going to build the Finch-Etobickoe line to Finch station, I doubt it. They'll see that as a 'Connection' between Yonge line and Spadina Line.

At the end of the platform there are stairs heading down onto the track with a warning to keep out. I'd assume that they'd use these stairs to access the station platform if there isn't a direct access point to the platform from the train's position.

Yeah, but do they just walk along the tracks from their train to the little set of steps at the end of the platform? And how do they exit the train? Just open the front sliding door and hop out?

Yeah, but do they just walk along the tracks from their train to the little set of steps at the end of the platform? And how do they exit the train? Just open the front sliding door and hop out?

they are track level trained and certified, provided transit control is aware where they are at all times on the walk back to the station i don't see an issue.

after all, they're the ones responsible for evacuating all of us to the surface in the event of an emergency.

as for getting off the end of the train, haven't you ever seen the yellow 2 rung ladders on either side?

that's what they're there for.

Does anyone know what it means when the white subway indicator lights flash while in operation? I saw a T1 deadheading back to Greenwood with the indicator lights flashing after a mechanical problem.

they are track level trained and certified, provided transit control is aware where they are at all times on the walk back to the station i don't see an issue.

after all, they're the ones responsible for evacuating all of us to the surface in the event of an emergency.

as for getting off the end of the train, haven't you ever seen the yellow 2 rung ladders on either side?

that's what they're there for.

Okay then, but for the 2-rung ladders on either side.. they're on the side, so how is it accessible from the middle sliding door? Does it somehow slide to the middle when something is activated? I doubt the strap-nets in front of the front/rear sliding doors are used as a rope ladder though.

Okay then, but for the 2-rung ladders on either side.. they're on the side, so how is it accessible from the middle sliding door? Does it somehow slide to the middle when something is activated? I doubt the strap-nets in front of the front/rear sliding doors are used as a rope ladder though.
-you're gonna have to visualize this in your head.

obviously you start this on the side of the track the power rail is NOT on. it's not a stepstool, and that's why there's 2 ladders.

it's pretty easy to swing yourself aboard by going from ground to the first rung, one hand on the spring loaded barrier gate, other hand on the vertical grab iron on the side of the doorway closest to you. then place your other foot on top of the of the anticlimber. move the one hand from the barrier gate to the closer vertical grab iron, then move your other hand to the grab iron on the opposite side. finally swing your other foot so that you are now standing with your full weight on the anticlimber outside the door.

(I've done this many times on both the g cars and the m-1s at Halton County)

CN Geco (GECO? GE-Co?) Spur, I think part was originally a CNoR line.

The Geco Spur - the section from Warden Station to Kennedy is on the alignment of the former CNoR mainline to Montreal. The subway east of Warden to about Pharmacy is also on that alignment.

Dan

-you're gonna have to visualize this in your head.

obviously you start this on the side of the track the power rail is NOT on. it's not a stepstool, and that's why there's 2 ladders.

it's pretty easy to swing yourself aboard by going from ground to the first rung, one hand on the spring loaded barrier gate, other hand on the vertical grab iron on the side of the doorway closest to you. then place your other foot on top of the of the anticlimber. move the one hand from the barrier gate to the closer vertical grab iron, then move your other hand to the grab iron on the opposite side. finally swing your other foot so that you are now standing with your full weight on the anticlimber outside the door.

(I've done this many times on both the g cars and the m-1s at Halton County)

Oh. I see, thanks!