The smell of a new STM Novabus product

stm_5307N

Those fires are mostly the fault of shoddy maintenance and the failure to act if/when warning signs were present. This is evident with regard to the proportion of fires that we've seen compared to other properties with the same product.

Generally that is true, but the fact remains that Novabus installed subpar hoses that were too close to where the hot engine is. The warning signs were the corroded hoses, which should have been replaced and weren't, so the fault is also with the maintenance personnel.

Cat must have trespassed on the parking lot and took the washroom!

Yeah, almost like that family of cats that moved into the retired buses at the Legendre lot a few years back. Everywhere you went you saw dirty paw prints, on the seats, on the floors, on the windows!

Is there anyone old enough to remember what a brand new New Look smelled like? I fear i'm a tad to young to remember that?

Hmm, brand new New Look... I remember brand new Classics, but was too young to remember brand new New Looks. I know that the smell of New Looks now is very distinctive and unique.

Is there anyone old enough to remember what a brand new New Look smelled like? I fear i'm a tad to young to remember that?

I really wouldn't as I was born in the last year the CTCUM took in its last delivery of New Looks and its first delivery of Classics.

Yeah there you go! I imagine you've smelled worse things in your life, than a brand new bus. Here's an idea... don't like the smell of a new bus? Take the next one! Or induce vomit, I don't care...

I find too that new LFSes stink! Some RTL 2008 buses still smell like it. It think it comes from the glue used to hold the bus together. I find it doesn't smell like a brand new car at all. It reminds of what STCUM New Looks used to smell after someone (probably the driver) urinated in the back door stairs. I remember when Classic were new, even the GMs, and the smell was more pleasant.
You're absoluelty right Tristan, I find new LFSs smell nothing like a new car smell, they smell new ya but not as good as a new car would. And there's something in then like u said that smells like urine but like a fake chemical urine smell. It's not very pleasant after awhile.

Oh i remember riding new Classics too! (Only 14-15s specifically) I remember them smelling mostly like RUBBER, From the rubber floor, rubber hand grabs, and the plastic covered thin layered foam over the fibreglass seats. But it still smelled good!

But I really don't understand why ppl are complaining about this. I mean even new LFS smell is 10X better than smelling B/O, fish, vomit, stink, food, smoke, mold etc etc.!

For god sakes ppl spend money on things like New Car smell! (IE buying new cars and keeping them clean and smoke free for as long as possible!) And companies trying to re-produce new car smell in the form of air freshners, scents, etc. I can't understand how ppl are complaing about this.

But its true what Novabus said, being that the smell goes away much faster when buses are delivered to the STM in summer because of the windows being constantly open whereas in winter it lasts much longer because they're closed and the bus isnt being aired out as much.

I don't really mind the smell of a new LFS.

I do agree that it dosen't smell anything like a new car though! Funnny association with the back door driver urine tristan! :o

I can only imagine the smell of a new bus back then was much better, seeing as though they used real materials to put it together!

And honestly, it's really sad that crap like this make it to the transit column, I am not too impressed that the writer passes this BS as news.

Any one of us here could come up with more interesting and civilized topics for publishing.

Correct, I wonder how systems with A/C fair in that respect!

Actually not much more than glue. Did you watch the "How it's Made" episode where they explained that they used glue rather than rivets and nails so it wouldn't corrode.

Word!

Cat must have trespassed on the parking lot and took the washroom!

:) LOL Sherman!

Hmm, brand new New Look... I remember brand new Classics, but was too young to remember brand new New Looks. I know that the smell of New Looks now is very distinctive and unique.
Yeah there you go! I imagine you've smelled worse things in your life, than a brand new bus. Here's an idea... don't like the smell of a new bus? Take the next one! Or induce vomit, I don't care...

That would be nice!

The smell could be recreated if anyone had a good enough memory and worked alongside chemists.

I have experienced the re-created smell of Fresh Baked Bread, Asian Subway Detergent "Smell of Clean", Garbage and others at the CCA in the past.

Quite impressive.

no no.. you know what I mean.. the smell that all New Looks have inside.. you know right away that you're in one.

stm_5307N

Currently in Winnipeg (Flyer country)

I was riding in a Winnipeg Transit New Look today and it smelled GREAT inside! Nothing is better than a New Look smell!

stm_5307N

Currently in Winnipeg (Flyer country)

I know what you mean!

That has to be one of, if not my most favourite smell in the world!

I can never get enough of Scent of a New Look! :D

• 3 weeks later...
I rode our 0901 today. I didn't find it that bad at all.

I rode it too, I didnt find it bad eather.

I can never get enough of Scent of a New Look! :)

Same here, any bus from the 50s to the early 90s has a good smell to it but nothing beats the new looks.

I rode it too, I didnt find it bad eather.

Same here, any bus from the 50s to the early 90s has a good smell to it but nothing beats the new looks.

I rode on 29-065 the smell was certainly not unpleasant. It was a bit strong when you walked in, but after a few seconds you get used to it. It's certainly not as bad as I'd previously experienced walking into new motor homes, which burns my eyes the second I walk in.

I rode on 29-065 the smell was certainly not unpleasant. It was a bit strong when you walked in, but after a few seconds you get used to it. It's certainly not as bad as I'd previously experienced walking into new motor homes, which burns my eyes the second I walk in.

It was because it wasn't new enough and Nova & STM are probably delaying their entry into service. When I rode one of the RTL's newest buses not too long ago it certainly was unpleasant, I had to take breaths from the window most of the time. What this means is that they fixed the problem.

The smell of STO 0905 is horrendous, opening the window didn't help much.

Every other new bus smell isn't that bad but for the LFS, worst out of any I have smelt.

*shrug* My opinion is coming from a guy that couldn't understand why everyone was bitching about the formaldehyde during high school dissections.

That new bus smell did make my head hurt, even after I got off. I'm sorry but people are right, it's too strong. Could use some stinky haven't-showered-in-2-weeks kinda people to "even it out" hehehe...

Rode 0906 and it wasn't bad.

One thing I thought I should add: I do remember some of the '08s being pretty damn bad. 0812 comes to mind, but I think I rode that one on its first day in service.