The Big 3

vivablue5215

I know there's a thread on where would you move if you can, but I figure to keep this separate.

If you were to live in one of Canada's 3 biggest cities, where would you live in (Greater Areas also included. e.g.: Markham, Richmond, Laval)?

I'd probably live in Toronto. Vancouver rains 300 days of the year, and Montreal is in Quebec, the province I hate a lot.

I didn't have a hard time in Montreal.

I'd be more worried about Quebec City and the dominance of French there.

Montreal does have a fairly substantial English-speaking population. Less so than back in the 1940s and 50s, but they're still there.

My main problem with Montreal is that people have a tendency to talk really fast. I'm fluent in French so I have no problem with everyday life in Quebec, but I can't understand when a Tim Hortons cashier is talking as though her mouth was an AK 47. I had to ask one to repeat herself no less than three times.

I would definitely move to Toronto. I like Montreal to visit, not sure that I'd really be too keen on living there again. I lived there for a year when I was 10-11 years old. Nice city, but unfortunately I was stuck in a prison of a school. AND, when I first started, I didn't speak a WORD of French! That's how I came to be fluent in French... when you're thrown into the shark tank, you gotta defend yourself! :lol:

Toronto because they've got CLRVs, snow, Subway System, pretty hot girls (atlest from what I saw when I was there), traffic jams and last but not least, a huge downtown.

I like Toronto for all those reasons except the traffic jams. That and the sentimental attachment to Mississauga, a city I've known since I was three years old.

Montreal does have a fairly substantial English-speaking population. Less so than back in the 1940s and 50s, but they're still there.

My main problem with Montreal is that people have a tendency to talk really fast. I'm fluent in French so I have no problem with everyday life in Quebec, but I can't understand when a Tim Hortons cashier is talking as though her mouth was an AK 47. I had to ask one to repeat herself no less than three times.

I would definitely move to Toronto. I like Montreal to visit, not sure that I'd really be too keen on living there again. I lived there for a year when I was 10-11 years old. Nice city, but unfortunately I was stuck in a prison of a school. AND, when I first started, I didn't speak a WORD of French! That's how I came to be fluent in French... when you're thrown into the shark tank, you gotta defend yourself! :lol:

I like Toronto for all those reasons except the traffic jams. That and the sentimental attachment to Mississauga, a city I've known since I was three years old.

One thing about Montreal, yes they have the best chicks on the planet, historic buildings and it's more of a European feel than Canadian feel.

As time has changed, I know those francophone people wants all anglo people out of Quebec! Yes, the language police like to give hard time, I remember they were telling chinese people who owns a restaurant wants the language french only and not their own language for their sign. As of living there, it can be hard as job is certainly not an easy to find if you can't speak en francais if you just move in.

One thing about it, you have to know the location very well on who's speaks more english or more french. Montreal may have the most municipality in Canada, talk about 24.

Mississauga traffic has gone much worst than for the last few years. I think their populations is now just over 750000+. Some area are still good to live in today while some are really bad.

I didn't have a hard time in Montreal.

I'd be more worried about Quebec City and the dominance of French there.

Actually, I talked to someone who attended the MBS in Quebec City last month, they stayed at Saint-Foy which is an english speaking area.

Mississauga traffic has gone much worst than for the last few years. I think their populations is now just over 750000+. Some area are still good to live in today while some are really bad.

Yeah traffic is really bad in the City Center, but George wants to move to the Applewood area, East of Cawthra, South of Burnhamthorpe, West of Dixie and North of Dundas. (Hey that's my area! :lol: ) Traffic isn't really that bad except for Dundas and sometimes on Bloor and Burnhamthorpe and that's really it. Also the Applewood area also has very good Mississauga Transit Service and you got the GO Stations as well (Go Bus and Go Train), Port Credit, Dixie GO and Long Branch GO (TTC 501 Streetcars) and the Subway isn't that far either. If I were to move, I would move a couple streets west of my current house where the houses are a bit bigger.

Actually, I talked to someone who attended the MBS in Quebec City last month, they stayed at Saint-Foy which is an english speaking area.

And, they were also part of a large group of people.

I'm sure it would be harder for a single bus fan or two if they were by themselves.

As well, I can't imagine I'd ever restrict myself to an english speaking part of town... You'd probably miss out on a lot of stuff that way!

Vancouver. They have a very diverse population. Not to mention that their transit system is good compared to Toronto's. It would be better if they have a city-wide Wi-fi network like we have. Don't forget Richmond and Surrey!!! :lol:

Montreal, I really like the Métro system down there and their multicultural population down there. It also would have been better if they too have a city-wide wireless network.

Ottawa, oh yes, our nation's capital. I wish I would like to live there one day. Their transit system is quite better (if you "compound" that to the transit system next to the Ottawa river on the Quebec side).

Toronto, well I lived in the Toronto area in my life - well I live in the 905 region though and I wish the transit system there should be improved.

Edmonton - I like their biggest shopping mall, but I never been there in my entire life. What i dislike about Edmonton is the weather! It always snow! As for the city wide wi-fi network, well i wish there should be one (like Ashton said).

That's my rant.

Well I live in Montreal and I love it, besides the fact that everything is french unfortunatly. That's really the only thing that bothers me. This whole language thing really pisses me off. If it wasn't for that, I'd love it 100% here. As mentioned, the great things about Montreal are the women and the nightlife! Montreal has by far the best nightlife in Canada and probably in North America. I know that where in the top 5 for nightlife destinations in the world. The clubs here are great and there's so much to do.

If I had to move somewhere else, I'd chose Vancouver. I always wanted to live by the ocean and on the west coast. The only thing that sux is all the rain. As for T.O., I love it for its variety in transit. Obvious reason, the fishbowls!! :lol: Otherwise, I don't like the city much. You can't get anywhere unless you use the highways.

Yeah traffic is really bad in the City Center, but George wants to move to the Applewood area, East of Cawthra, South of Burnhamthorpe, West of Dixie and North of Dundas. (Hey that's my area! :P ) Traffic isn't really that bad except for Dundas and sometimes on Bloor and Burnhamthorpe and that's really it. Also the Applewood area also has very good Mississauga Transit Service and you got the GO Stations as well (Go Bus and Go Train), Port Credit, Dixie GO and Long Branch GO (TTC 501 Streetcars) and the Subway isn't that far either. If I were to move, I would move a couple streets west of my current house where the houses are a bit bigger.

Heh, Applewood area? Bloor St. aka apartment concrete land. That area I find where new immigrants live as well in Hurontario between CP Cooksville rail and QEW. There's usually trouble around that area.

Edmonton - I like their biggest shopping mall, but I never been there in my entire life. What i dislike about Edmonton is the weather! It always snow!

The snow in Edmonton is a good thing. At least IMO.

And about West Edmonton Mall... how the hell do you know you like it? Do you enjoy paying extra money because the retailers figure they can charge more because they are in the world's biggest mall?

Ottawa, oh yes, our nation's capital. I wish I would like to live there one day. Their transit system is quite better (if you "compound" that to the transit system next to the Ottawa river on the Quebec side).

Transit System Better? When I was in Toronto I thought the TTC was better than OC Transpo. Ours has too much crowding and on a average you have 5 95s pass you before you can be shoved into a 95.

Well I live in Montreal and I love it, besides the fact that everything is french unfortunatly. That's really the only thing that bothers me. This whole language thing really pisses me off. If it wasn't for that, I'd love it 100% here. As mentioned, the great things about Montreal are the women and the nightlife! Montreal has by far the best nightlife in Canada and probably in North America. I know that where in the top 5 for nightlife destinations in the world. The clubs here are great and there's so much to do.

If I had to move somewhere else, I'd chose Vancouver. I always wanted to live by the ocean and on the west coast. The only thing that sux is all the rain. As for T.O., I love it for its variety in transit. Obvious reason, the fishbowls!! :P Otherwise, I don't like the city much. You can't get anywhere unless you use the highways.

Best nightlife eh??? I guess you've never been to Windsor! We are known across Canada for being the ULTIMATE party city with a CRAZY nightlife. At least 62 bars in like a 10 block radius. We are also known as the sin city of Canada. You should come and try our nightlife for a weekend. Word of advice...Stay away from intersections when bar hopping in Windsor, 40-50 person fights are common in Windsor's downtown with many happening at once!

Best nightlife eh??? I guess you've never been to Windsor! We are known across Canada for being the ULTIMATE party city with a CRAZY nightlife. At least 62 bars in like a 10 block radius. We are also known as the sin city of Canada. You should come and try our nightlife for a weekend. Word of advice...Stay away from intersections when bar hopping in Windsor, 40-50 person fights are common in Windsor's downtown with many happening at once!

Actually, I have to agree what stm_5307N says, cause Montreal rocks!

Well, Windsor is more of seing American people crossing the border and go nuts! Other than that, old and in dire needs of restructuring.