Grand River Transit scrapped a couple 1996 NewFlyer C40LF's?

GRT 9401

I saw on this same website on a different forum that they said they have scrapped a couple (not all) 1996 NewFlyer C40LF buses? please don't :angry: say it's true! :) D:

It is true they scrapped them all but 4 (I think) and when those need significant repaires they will be scrapped as well. So if your a fan of them you better get them in while you can.

I for one can't say I sorry to see them go. As busses go they are better then GRT's ORiON's (again in my opinion) but they were bloody top heavy and felt like they were going to tip over if you went around a turn too fast. Hmmmm fun times!!!

It is true they scrapped them all but 4 (I think) and when those need significant repaires they will be scrapped as well. So if your a fan of them you better get them in while you can.

I for one can't say I sorry to see them go. As busses go they are better then GRT's ORiON's (again in my opinion) but they were bloody top heavy and felt like they were going to tip over if you went around a turn too fast. Hmmmm fun times!!!

why though, what happened to them :angry:

why though, what happened to them :P

They were quoted in a several staff reports as being exceptionlly prone to breakdowns (aka Lemons). Not saying I agree with that assessment or not, but that's what they're being retired. I personally have had two break down completely on seperate occassions.

Also, as part of the garage expansion being planned the natural gas fueling station is being removed from the site, so there won't be any on-site fueling system for them anymore.

They were quoted in a several staff reports as being exceptionlly prone to breakdowns (aka Lemons). Not saying I agree with that assessment or not, but that's what they're being retired. I personally have had two break down completely on seperate occassions.

Also, as part of the garage expansion being planned the natural gas fueling station is being removed from the site, so there won't be any on-site fueling system for them anymore.

oh yeah, i did see some of them that were broken down in the winter

Your dealing with high maintenance that deals with parts had to be inspected annually, traning mechanics on how to fix CNG for another certification and reliability on the road.

Your dealing with high maintenance that deals with parts had to be inspected annually, traning mechanics on how to fix CNG for another certification and reliability on the road.

Wait until the Dept. 2 Mechanics have to be trained to fix / repair "Light rail" vehicles! Won't that be a "Freakin" joke! (And you thought the CNG buses broke down a lot)

Wait until the Dept. 2 Mechanics have to be trained to fix / repair "Light rail" vehicles! Won't that be a "Freakin" joke! (And you thought the CNG buses broke down a lot)

CNG buses often broke down not because of the fuel system/ engine. They suffered the same problems as other non-CNG buses.

CNG buses often broke down not because of the fuel system/ engine. They suffered the same problems as other non-CNG buses.

I agree, but would that be "lack of proper maintenance"??? It just seems that there are a lot of "little" things that never get fixed, which subsequently grow into bigger "problems" resulting in breakdowns, and towed vehicles. It bugs me, but it just seems to me that "nothing" ever gets fixed (other than with "duct tape" or "chewing gum")

Kinda weird that the HSR's '96 C40LF's are disappearing now as well...

Not really, the 9600's in Hamilton are soon to be the oldest buses in Hamilton, whereas in Kitchener, they still have buses from 1985 roaming the streets. (Which is a good thing :D )

I drove 9615 the other day on the 8's and I have to say that it was frantastic. The acceleration and breaking was spot on and the steering was phenominal best bus out of that whole order, and certainly the best one left.

I drove 9615 the other day on the 8's and I have to say that it was frantastic. The acceleration and breaking was spot on and the steering was phenominal best bus out of that whole order, and certainly the best one left.

Now, can someone in "Dept. 2" tell me why they can't set up all of the remaining 9600's up like that, or why they all were never set up that way when we had the others? Just curious.

Hey I compiled a list of remaining C40lfs in Kitchener while I was waiting to get this account back lol.. now I'm not sure if there are more that I missed in the garage or something, but these are the ones I have seen in active service within the past couple weeks..

They are 9600, 9601, 9606, 9611, 9615, 9622

If i missed any, or any are gone, please add to the list :(

All of the scrapped GRT C40LF buses ended up at a scrapyard in Essex (Windsor).

Kevin

hmmm interesting... anyone around that area have a pic to share, or where this location is at? :P

Im kinda suprised that 9607 retired, considering is was the only other C40LF that got rebuilt besides 9600, and looked like it was in alot better shape, musta caught fire again :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey I compiled a list of remaining C40lfs in Kitchener while I was waiting to get this account back lol.. now I'm not sure if there are more that I missed in the garage or something, but these are the ones I have seen in active service within the past couple weeks..

They are 9600, 9601, 9606, 9611, 9615, 9622

If i missed any, or any are gone, please add to the list :)

I saw 9622 in the back of the garage parked up where 8903 (bus now scrapped sadly) was parked before, and it was missing the chair, either getting replaced, or, scrap time :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey bad news for all you CNG New Flyer fans. If the rumours are true 9615 is the only one left that can still provide sevicable hour and it is due for 12 month inspection (that the big one) at the end of june. I have feeling that it wont be put back out with it being summer and all. So if you want to get that last ride in do it soon.

Hey bad news for all you CNG New Flyer fans. If the rumours are true 9615 is the only one left that can still provide sevicable hour and it is due for 12 month inspection (that the big one) at the end of june. I have feeling that it wont be put back out with it being summer and all. So if you want to get that last ride in do it soon.

Hopefully they have new buses coming in.... soon ! That is a lot of retirements !

I do believe 2 more are now gone just last week or so... not sure wich 2 though.

I think those were 9622 and 9612, because I did see 9622 with a missing drivers seat. And 9612, I'm just guessing :rolleyes:

Well I have an edit to this post. 9606 is also still in active rotation till the end of the month. So that means 9615 and 9606 are the only ones left and the both expire at the end of June. So boys and girls... get èm while you can.

As a side note I was told that they are for sale if anyone needs a new garden shed oror lawn ornament.... maybe that guy who lives in Morriston can add one to go along with his ald TTC train.

As for new busses look in GRT thread, the only busses we`re getting this year is the 13 to rotate into the IXPRESS to bring the high milage 24xx`s out so only 13 busses this year. Were in a rescession don`cha know.

• 3 weeks later...
Well I have an edit to this post. 9606 is also still in active rotation till the end of the month. So that means 9615 and 9606 are the only ones left and the both expire at the end of June. So boys and girls... get èm while you can.

As a side note I was told that they are for sale if anyone needs a new garden shed oror lawn ornament.... maybe that guy who lives in Morriston can add one to go along with his ald TTC train.

As for new busses look in GRT thread, the only busses we`re getting this year is the 13 to rotate into the IXPRESS to bring the high milage 24xx`s out so only 13 busses this year. Were in a rescession don`cha know.

ya i seen that 9611 and 9612 were both behind the garage today with their dest signs and license plates missing, so i guess their done for

also seen 9600 farther back, cant tell if it was retired or not