Does anyone know where I can find freight train schedules?

JeremyA

I'd like to find some schedules for CN/CPR freight trains, as this would facilitate fanning, in that I could tell appoximately when a train was coming, and I could see where it was coming from/going to. I figure they must exist somewhere, but does anyone know if they're available to the public? And if so, would anyone happen to know where I could find them?

Thanks,

Frieght trains are actually scheduled, at least out east. To see them follow those schedules though, that's a different story. Between things like delays on the road, delays in calling crews, power swapouts for servicing, etc. they rarely come through when they are supposed to.

The Trackside Guide has never had a listing of train schedules, and it would be a fairly large section to add. The other problem is that they frequently change, and so a lot of them would be obsolete before long.

Your best bet is pick up a scanner and use that to listen in to the radio chatter.

Dan

Sorry, was in a hurry when I typed it. Freight trains do not have schedules in the timetables like a passenger train. On CN, many freight trains have a "call window" but that doesn't stop them from running the trains when they want with what crews they want. IE. L57151 the northbound from Squamish to Lillooet, "scheduled" to leave Squamish at 1800. CN can run an L57151 at any time during the day without calling it an "extra".

BTW, as Dan said. The trackside guide does not have freight schedules, only passenger. The trackside guide has the train numbers, and as far as the CN train numbers most are horribly inaccurate.