CPTDB Wiki was recently upgraded! Please report any issues here.

Sign in to follow this  
ABQ RIDE

Does anyone have a list of farebox manufacturers?

I was wondering, does anyone have a full list of farebox manufactuers? It seems that GFI Genfare seems to dominate with most TAs, including ABQ RIDE. However, I am sure there are some smaller manufactuers as well.

In the ABQ RIDE fleet, the 300-series Neoplan AN440A CNG buses, 400-series Thomas/Dennis SLF232 CNG buses, and the 6400-series New Flyer DE60LF buses all have the GFI CENTSaBILL registering fareboxes. The 6600-series New Flyer DE60LFs and 700-series New Flyer DE40LFR buses have the GFI Odyssey validating fareboxes with the built in ticket dispenser. However, until recently, the ticket dispensers were not used, and when they were first introduced, many people mistook the ticket dispenser slot for the coin slot. However, now that ABQ RIDE has eliminated transfers and replaced them with 1-day passes, they have started using the ticket dispensers on the fareboxes, and there are plans to retrofit the 6400-series DE60LFs with them as well. The Neoplans and SLFs will not be retrofitted; there are plans to eventually replace both (starting with the SLFs), and all new bus deliveries will include the GFI Odyssey fareboxes, including the 32 new DE40LFRs and six DE60LFs being delivered in the coming months.

There is Cubic, Vancouver uses their fare boxes. (Which most came used from New York City :D )

Chris Cassidy

They're used? Where did you find that one out...

OC Transpo's drivers for the most part hate those new GFI Fare boxes. They rather a Duncan any day because they are so much more simpler for both the drivers and passengers and they always work.

Our drivers might of liked them more if OC Transpo got the model that counts the money, but OC Transpo bought the non-counting model, so they only changes between the Duncans and the GFIs is that they jam more and cause loads of confusion.

OC Transpo's drivers for the most part hate those new GFI Fare boxes. They rather a Duncan any day because they are so much more simpler for both the drivers and passengers and they always work.

Our drivers might of liked them more if OC Transpo got the model that counts the money, but OC Transpo bought the non-counting model, so they only changes between the Duncans and the GFIs is that they jam more and cause loads of confusion.

I am guessing they went with the GFI TransView non-registering farebox. They could have at least went with the GFI CENTSaBILL, the registering version of the TransView.

I am guessing they went with the GFI TransView non-registering farebox. They could have at least went with the GFI CENTSaBILL, the registering version of the TransView.
Yeah we got the TransView and I agree with the fact we should of at least got the CENTSaBILL, at least if it was to give us trouble, it would be worth something as it now counts. But as the TransView has no new features, it is really pointless cause of all the troubles it has caused so far.

Yeah we got the TransView and I agree with the fact we should of at least got the CENTSaBILL, at least if it was to give us trouble, it would be worth something as it now counts. But as the TransView has no new features, it is really pointless cause of all the troubles it has caused so far.

Some companies don't tell drivers to count on what fares do passengers have. However, they should have the black button to release the coin mechanism.

The reason manu companines buy CENTSaBILL with many buttons is because of drivers log-in/log-out for when in service and statistic purpose.

There is Cubic, Vancouver uses their fare boxes. (Which most came used from New York City :lol: )

Chris Cassidy

Um, no!

NYC used to have GFI until 1997, they've switched to Cubic because of the reader card. Translink purchased Cubic in early 2001 and I remember Burnaby was the only division to have it under a test before the rest were spread out.

If you are including non-electronic fareboxes, you can add Duncan and Keene to the list (which GFI took over according to http://www.rapts.org/doc/Vendors.htm ).

Diamond and AES is another one, non-electronic.

Um, there's one from in the US, I forgot the company name and there's another one from Victoria, BC. Right now Banff is using the farebox from Victoria which I forgot what company.

Speaking of GFI Genfare, I noticed that they offer the TRiM card reader/dispenser add-on for the CENTSaBILL fareboxes. It actually makes me wonder why ABQ RIDE will be completely replacing the CENTSaBILL fareboxes on the 6400-series DE60LFs with the Odyssey, rather than adding TRiM to the CENTSaBILL fareboxes. Perhaps ABQ RIDE wants the currently validation capability of the Odyssey.

The one from Victoria, BC is FareLogistics...also, Scheidt and Bachman USA(the MBTA in Boston and Valley Metro in Phoenix use them)...Agent Systems(check their website) in Dallas, Tx....Main Fare Box(non-registering), Willoughby, Oh....and BEA Transit Solutions, Richmond, Ont.

NYC used to have GFI until 1997, they've switched to Cubic because of the reader card.

New York is one of the most backwards cities in farebox technology. They only accept coins, not bills; and there's no provision for easy smartcard implementation. At least the fareboxes can dispense MetroCard Bus Transfers.

The one from Victoria, BC is FareLogistics...also, Scheidt and Bachman USA(the MBTA in Boston and Valley Metro in Phoenix use them)...Agent Systems(check their website) in Dallas, Tx....Main Fare Box(non-registering), Willoughby, Oh....and BEA Transit Solutions, Richmond, Ont.

Thanks.

Here's an old one from Johnston farebox. Also, there's Cleveland farebox in the old days.

http://www.johnsonfarebox.com/

Some companies don't tell drivers to count on what fares do passengers have. However, they should have the black button to release the coin mechanism.

The reason manu companines buy CENTSaBILL with many buttons is because of drivers log-in/log-out for when in service and statistic purpose.

Ah!

Well I know OC told the drivers to count the money with the old duncans but most of them never do, however you will get one driver who gets someone who puts in $2.25 instead of $3 and he'll be like without looking more like a second at it, "You still have to put in 75 cents".

Well I know OC told the drivers to count the money with the old duncans but most of them never do, however you will get one driver who gets someone who puts in $2.25 instead of $3 and he'll be like without looking more like a second at it, "You still have to put in 75 cents".

Sharp eye, militant style!

Does someone know the name of the compagny that provides the perceptions box for the S.T.O. (Gatineau)?

Um, I know it's a local Quebec made and that's all I can think of.

I have no idea who makes the fare boxes for Transit Windsor. i have an photo of the box to help.

Cubic Precision until it was renamed to Cubic.

Cubic Precision until it was renamed to Cubic.

Isn't that the one the HSR had before the CENTSaBill box came around? It looks really similar, the one nicknamed "Fare Fred"?

Isn't that the one the HSR had before the CENTSaBill box came around? It looks really similar, the one nicknamed "Fare Fred"?

Yes, old name was Cubic Western Data.