CTrain U2 AC Cars (2101 & 2102)

LRT

I heard a nasty rumor from a service man, cars 2101 and 2102 days may be numbered. I guess there becoming very expensive to maintain, they are currently side lined and coupled together at Anderson garage. Lets keep track of these rare cars in this thread. Maybe they are going back to Edmonton! :D

I heard a nasty rumor from a service man, cars 2101 and 2102 days may be numbered. I guess there becoming very expensive to maintain, they are currently side lined and coupled together at Anderson garage. Lets keep track of these rare cars in this thread. Maybe they are going back to Edmonton! :D

I saw them sitting together inside the storage lanes earlier this evening as well. Was going to post about them. Neither of them have had the ramps installed either.

I heard a nasty rumor from a service man, cars 2101 and 2102 days may be numbered. I guess there becoming very expensive to maintain, they are currently side lined and coupled together at Anderson garage. Lets keep track of these rare cars in this thread. Maybe they are going back to Edmonton! :lol:

Good Riddance!

Wanted to take a picture of them between two red SD160's, but I guess this isn't going to happen. Personally, I always liked being in one, except for the excessive whine and power cutting out, they always felt slightly different than the U2 DC cars.

Wanted to take a picture of them between two red SD160's, but I guess this isn't going to happen. Personally, I always liked being in one, except for the excessive whine and power cutting out, they always felt slightly different than the U2 DC cars.

All is not lost yet, we will have to see what happens in the weeks to come.

Maybe they are going back to Edmonton! :D

IIRC Edmonton was only too happy to get rid of those cars. I rode them in 1989, the year they were in service there; they were 3001-3002, which they carried through to Calgary. From the start it was clear they were destined for Calgary; their dashboards are laid out to Calgary standard, not Edmonton. Why would Edmonton want them back?

The biggest difference between the 2 systems is their track and wheels, both choices dictated by one particular spot on each of their respective systems. Calgary chose streetcar rail (flat top, wheels profiled accordingly) to avoid interference with buses and other vehicles on 7th Avenue. Edmonton was forced into the choice of railway rail (curved top, conical wheel profile) because for the first 5 years of LRT operation, trains had to cross the CN mainline to get into and out of Cromdale, where the trains were based until DL Macdonald opened in late 1983.

Edmonton was forced into the choice of railway rail (curved top, conical wheel profile) because for the first 5 years of LRT operation, trains had to cross the CN mainline to get into and out of Cromdale, where the trains were based until DL Macdonald opened in late 1983.

How exactly would that cause Edmonton to use a more railroad-oriented profile? Many cities have had streetcar/heavy rail level crossings and they haven't resorted to changing their rail profile.

Dan

Edmonton was forced into the choice of railway rail (curved top, conical wheel profile) because for the first 5 years of LRT operation, trains had to cross the CN mainline to get into and out of Cromdale, where the trains were based until DL Macdonald opened in late 1983.

Funny that this is mentioned. When the SD160s are delivered to Calgary the flat cars are towed to a CP Rail spur, the LRVs are then off loaded on to CP rail tracks, then the LRV is towed to Calgary Transits R.O.W via CP Rails crossing over through CP Rail tracks. So for a short time the LRVs roll on CP Rails mainline.

However I think the "Edmonton Transit" plates have been defaced, so you guys can keep them. :P:)

One set of plates are in good shape, Edmonton Transit is covered by a white decal.

Why would Edmonton want them back?

I was only kidding

2101's interoir ads are missing. Build plates still there in that car. 2102's interior still has ads but build plated are missing ( and has been for a long time) they are being stored on track 9 right behind car 2027 (the crane train)

Personally, I always liked being in one, except for the excessive whine and power cutting out, they always felt slightly different than the U2 DC cars.

I also enjoy riding in them but I actually like the whining, it reminds me of the Tube cars used on the Jubilee line of the London Underground.

The Jubilee Whine

• Like 1

I found out the other day that 2101 and 2102 are awaiting some long overdo maintenance. They need new "tires". The LRVs are so unique they will be done at the same time. It may be a few months before they're back in service (stampede time hopefully). An electro mechanic mentioned if they were ever to scrap the U2s, 2101 and 2102 would be the last ones to go because they have such low mileage.

I found out the other day that 2101 and 2102 are awaiting some long overdo maintenance. They need new "tires". The LRVs are so unique they will be done at the same time. It may be a few months before they're back in service (stampede time hopefully). An electro mechanic mentioned if they were ever to scrap the U2s, 2101 and 2102 would be the last ones to go because they have such low mileage.

That makes a lot more sense!! Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

2102s bogies are sitting at Anderson (along with others) freshly rebuilt and ready to be installed. Not sure if the AC cars are ready to be put back into service anytime soon, so much work yet to be done...

• 2 months later...

Well 2101 and 2102 still not in service, I don't think these cars have not seen service since January or February of this year! I haven't been at AG for a while, but last time I was there the 2102 was still on dollies and her boggies are still in the yard (fully rebuilt)

Will they ever see service again?

I didn't see them in service while I was in Calgary earlier this month. I did notice a couple of tarped cars on the siding at Anderson; are they 2102 and 2102?

Nope, those are other writen off cars. Can't recall the car numbers...